"Could not connect to Ultima Online" (PeerGuardian)

kinpira

"Could not connect to Ultima Online" (PeerGuardian)

Post by kinpira »

Hello,

as suggested, I'm creating this thread in the support forum to see if someone can help me to successfully log in.
I'll try to describe everything in detail, so that the people who actually know about computers can maaaybe find a solution. =)

Ok, first I downloaded and installed the client, net framework and razor from the main page. I installed the patch, so I am now at "UO Version 5.0.8.3 (Patch 204)", that's what it says in the main menu.
I entered the information in razor as described in the FAQ thread. Here's a picture of my razor screen when I start the game:
I think I entered everything correctly.
When I start the game, the main screen seems normal. After I enter a name and password and press enter, it will say connecting and after a while:
Notice how it says "Not responding" in the title bar. :roll:
Also, the windows mouse pointer is visible at that point and the UO mouse pointer won't move. The windows pointer is an hourglass as well. The music is still playing though. It sounds like an old cellphone.
Maybe a minute or so later, this comes up:

I THINK it might be that the port 2593 is blocked by my router. Or something else is blocked. I always have problems with closed ports.
Of course, I'm trying to open the port and see if it works. I tried reading up on ports on the internet, but I'm not really a computer person, so I'm not sure if I get it all right. :?
Anyways, there is no straight "port forwarding" menu in the router, but I frequently read something about NAT in relation to that. However in the NAT menu, it won't let me select a port!
I'm sorry about all the menus being in japanese. I'm not sure if everyone can read them but there is no option to set it to english. :roll:
From left to right it says: Entry number, access point, WAN side IP address and destination address.
The menu on the left says: DNS settings, DHCPv4 server settings, SP settings, packet filter settings, one touch settings, static IP masquerade settings, static NAT settings, static routing settings and lastly higher settings.
One menu where I can set some sort of port is the packet filter settings menu, so I tried that out:
The upper settings where there by default, the one where it says 2593 is the one I entered.
I set it to "pass through" and in the destination and source fields I used a *. I think it was asking for an IP address, but * should cover them all, right?
For protocol I used a * as well, so it should cover TCP and UDP (whatever that means :shock: ).
As a source and destination port, I set 2593 of course, and also set it to both ways.
That should mean that the port 2593 is open to anything.
Unless packet filter is the entirely wrong setting, of course.

In another thread Derrick suggested to use the ping command to try and see if it's possible to reach the second age server. I tried to do that as well, but it failed:
It seems to display the IP address of the UO server there, so maybe I'll have to enter that somewhere in the router menu to open it up?

As you can see in the menu screen up there, my router is the "PR-S300NE" for which I didn't find any english info, but this one in japanese about opening ports: http://www.akakagemaru.info/port/PR-S300NE.html
I followed the instructions there, but it didn't do anything either. Also, my router has a slightly different menu than the one in the example. In my router it says that the high level settings of WAN→LAN override the settings in the IP masquerade settings. However in the high level settings, there's only an option for UDP ports, and besides, the high level options are turned off anyways. When I tried turning them on it looked like this:
The WAN→LAN setting only lets me enter one UDP port and nothing else. What about the other menus there, like DMZ? I read that would allow complete access for a certain IP as well.

I really hope someone knows about this and can help me. I have only a general idea about IPs and ports and things like that, but I don't really understand what most of the abbreviations mean. @_@
So, pleaase help me, I'd really like to play UO too. :mrgreen:

Derrick

Re: "Could not connect to Ultima Online"

Post by Derrick »

The "General Failure" is pretty strance. I have never seen this before/
http://groups.google.com/group/microsof ... raot&pli=1
This could be the result of a firewall I think.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

kinpira

Post by kinpira »

Hmm, I don't use any firewall I think.
I used to, but it would cause bluescreens so I had to uninstall it.
I'm using Windows XP.
In the thread about general failure it says trying to ping 127.0.0.1 and localhost failed too, so I tried that, but for me it worked.

Most of the other things in the thread there are kind of lost on me, I'm afraid. :cry:

Could the DMZ setting help? There's an option where I can select either LAN side or "virtual DMZ" side. What does that mean?
When I select the virtual DMZ I need to enter another IP as well... I don't know.
I used the LAN side setting and entered my computer's IP as DMZ host. But it doesn't work either.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

If you are talking about setting DMZ, then you do have a firewall (even if a simple one), but port forwarding settings should not matter as this is an outgoing connection. Try the DMZ though, this should exclude you from any firewall settings.

Do you have PeerGuardian or anything similar installed?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

kinpira

Post by kinpira »

Aahhh.... yes! It was Peer Guardian!
I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for pointing it out.
It's like searching for your glasses when you're wearing them on the top of your head. :lol:

But not it's working, thanks a lot. =)
I guess I can go explore a bit now, hehe.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Great to hear. Welcome to Second Age!

We've had issues with peer guardian before as we operate the shard on a leased server, but I wasn't aware they had our current ip address listed, as we just changed our server and ip address a few weeks ago. I'll look into what it takes to get us removed from their list.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

i have started the process of having shard ip address removed from "peer G" block list i will updated when there is more info and address is under review for removal .. hope this safes you some time derrick.

ps derrick if there is anything else i'm missing other then website at uoscondage.com and 2 servers connection to same ip at port 2593 (uosecondage.com test.uosecondage.com)

main question is .. is there another server for account auth. etc that they should be aware of to remove ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks a ton!

Those are the only two. The websites are all on godaddy under a single ip, and the shard is at Peer1
we do have 3 more addresses there but they are just administrative.

Was test really listed? That's a local network.

Let me know how it goes

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

as of 7:22am est . uosecondage.com has been removed from PG's block list (or should have been )

admin said address would be kicked out of database on the next daily update .. so i'm going to give it 2full days just to be sure then download peer guardian and test that it will connect to shard website and game server without any problems.

I hope this will save the players that try to login and can't but don't bother to post for help and just move on. also that this saves derrick some time by him not having to do it (didn't take much work, though i've been sitting in their irc chat waiting for the right admin for days now :) and checking a post I also made on their forums )

anyways i'll update again in two days after all changes should have taken affect and with any luck derrick can close this thread for good. (however i will save the urls I've found looking into this in case we ever need to contact Peer Guardian in the future for any reasons just ask and i'll either give the info needed to find the admins or do it myself if asked.)

one happy moment for me
07:22 Moore ok i already split that ip out for uosecondage.com when I did Nicks, so will be gone from the lists on the next daily update

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks very very much for your time and effort on this

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

ty derrick i will download and test pg for the first time on this pc tomarrow and insure there are no problems running these two program at once with your/our shard ..

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Ok well case seems solved downloaded Peer Guardian installed .. patched with all currect block list and then attempted to connect to UOSecondage.com via razor . UO fired up and loged in with out problems ..

If there are any further problems with PG pls feel free to contact me via pm and I'll do anything I can to help.

Derrick

Re: "Could not connect to Ultima Online" (PeerGuardian)

Post by Derrick »

Nice thanks. I'm sure there will be

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Just FYI, the last time I updated PeerGuardian (with the lists from bluetack) the IRC server was also blocked. LOL!

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

to the best of my understanding we only have a channel on somone else irc server .. (wildirc)
so it would be up to wildirc to ask for that servers ip to be removed ..