A warning to Newbies and Macroers: Watch yourself carefully.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Foxhound3857

A warning to Newbies and Macroers: Watch yourself carefully.

Post by Foxhound3857 »

I'm not sure how people will take this since I am actually the assailant in this example, not the victim (yes, I grief). But I suppose it's valid nonetheless.

My character on Second Age is Holy Diver, a fisher. This morning I was heading out to sea from Britain Docks, and I came across another deep-sea fisher named Malificus. His boat was in my way and forced me to stop momentarily. I said hi, but got no response, so I waited a couple of minutes. It didn't take long to figure out that he was macroing unattended, and I decided to capitalize on it and attacked and killed him from my ship with a bow. Sadly I couldn't get my boat close enough to loot his corpse, but very itnerestingly he had done a few SoS's recently, and left the chests with their remaining loot on the deck of the ship. I managed to get my ship JUST CLOSE ENOUGH to his to walk out onto the plank and nab the chest for myself.

My rewards for this foul deed were:
-Reagents.
-Maps.
-Gems.
-Gold.
-Scrolls.
-Assorted magic gear (+25 Vanq mace and a massive/invul plate tunic, among other things).
-FIVE unopened MiB's.

Needless to say, I was very satisfied with this catch, and though I felt a little bad taking advantage of this guy (and the fact that his corpse disappeared and he had a LOT of stuff on him), he should've took greater caution. Sea Serpents aren't the only threat to unattended deep-sea fishing.

Really, this is just a reminder to players with something to lose. If you own a house or a boat, ake sure your house and boat keys are securely squared away. Make sure anything in your house and boat is out of reach from everyone. And no matter where you are or what you're doing, watch your ass. UO is a cruel game and even the most innocent and cautious of macros and attended play won't stop someone like me from coming along and ruining your day. All the anti-theft precautions in the world won't stop a determined veteran thief from getting away with your lunch money. It won't stop a proven PK from taking your life and your belongings.

Just watch yourself; you're more at risk than you may think. True story.

Lor

Re: A warning to Newbies and Macroers: Watch yourself carefully.

Post by Lor »

Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure all the griefers are thanking you.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Lor wrote:Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure all the griefers are thanking you.
"lol" is all I can say.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I believe deep sea fishing unattended is against the rules here anyways.

And, killing someone who is macroing - especially when there is something to gain - is hardly griefing. Killing someone who is macroing Hiding at the bank is probably griefing... but I have a relatively loose definition of griefing, and this is hardly it.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

I actually think his name was Malifishus, or something like that.

Yeah. It's a major pain to always have to move around that ship when heading out from Brit bay into the ocean. And I hope that character gets banned from his unattended Resource gathering in his boat.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

What, so nobody cares that I killed the guy and robbed him blind? lol

I think he'll probably think twice about macroing unattended now that he's seen what can happen to him if he does. So he'll probably pay more attention now.

Funny thing is that the day before I actually killed him and plundered his earnings, I went out deep-sea fishing with a couple of friends from Britain Docks. We found the exact same guy, fishing unattended (but had his macro set to move for dry spots). We all attacked and killed him together before he got away from us (couldn't grab anything that time though), and he must've been paying attention because he sailed right past us about 15 minutes later and called us all dicks.

Rofl.

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

Foxhound3857 wrote:What, so nobody cares that I killed the guy and robbed him blind? lol
Nope, happens every day.
Foxhound3857 wrote: I think he'll probably think twice about macroing unattended now that he's seen what can happen to him if he does. So he'll probably pay more attention now.
Probably not. He'll just move to a more secluded place. It only took me getting townkilled in Britain 3 times to learn that the other cities are much less frequented by grifers killing afk macroers when they probably afk macroed themselves. Haven't had a problem since. Granted, we're talking about fishing, but whatevs same diff lol idk my bff Jill.

I also agree his account should be banned for unattended resource gathering.
<Derrick> I guarantee world peace will not be seeded in a UO FreeShard IRC channel

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Out of curiosity, how exactly is macroing fixing illegal? Afaik you can't get chests unless you are doing mibs so it was probably there regardless of him fishing.

Just sounds like you caught someone at a bad time and got something out of it. Fish isn't a resource :)
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: A warning to Newbies and Macroers: Watch yourself carefu

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Resource gathering is creation of new items out of nothing, much as mining. AFK buying of regs isn't creating it from nothing, it's more similar to afk blacksmithing. Fishing from shore is creating something from nothing, but it's been specifically exempted for some time, never really has been talked about much.
Churning vendors for gold, buying crafting and selling back would be considered resource (gold) gathering.
This is from Derrick, which says unattended fishing from shore isn't illegal. Unattended fishing from a boat however is.

Note: AFK Fishing from shore is no longer allowed
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: AFK fishing from shore is no longer allowed.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:
Resource gathering is creation of new items out of nothing, much as mining. AFK buying of regs isn't creating it from nothing, it's more similar to afk blacksmithing. Fishing from shore is creating something from nothing, but it's been specifically exempted for some time, never really has been talked about much.
Churning vendors for gold, buying crafting and selling back would be considered resource (gold) gathering.
This is from Derrick, which says unattended fishing from shore isn't illegal. Unattended fishing from a boat however is.
Which is what Malfishius was doing, fishing from a boat.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I get it but at the same time it's just silly i think.
Macro fishing at shore and it's ok.....do the same thing in a boat and you are a dumb cheating POS.

I figure there are worse preventable crimes here in T2A that are accepted by the flawed rule.

Last edited by Derrick on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Robot wrote: Just sounds like you caught someone at a bad time and got something out of it. Fish isn't a resource :)
Just because it isn't AS valuable as ingots doesn't mean it isn't a resource.

But Tmaps are valuable; You can fish those up in a boat.

MiBs are valuable; you can fish up those in a boat as well.

So you can afk fish all day and when you come back some time later, you could have all kinds of MiBs and Tmaps.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Duke Jones wrote:
Robot wrote: Just sounds like you caught someone at a bad time and got something out of it. Fish isn't a resource :)
Just because it isn't AS valuable as ingots doesn't mean it isn't a resource.

But Tmaps are valuable; You can fish those up in a boat.

MiBs are valuable; you can fish up those in a boat as well.

So you can afk fish all day and when you come back some time later, you could have all kinds of MiBs and Tmaps.
Or you could be dead.

ZOG FAIL!

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

well there is that... unless there's a macro to auto put desired loot into the hold. or drop it where it can't be grabbed from another boat.

WeirdoC

Post by WeirdoC »

I came across a similar situation today, but it was at the docks in Vesper. There stood a character fishing (I don't remember the name) with piles of fish stacked around his feet.

I said, "Are you AFK?" No answer. I waited a moment and followed up with, "If you don't answer, I'ma take all you's fishies..." No answer. Grand total, his stacks were holding exactly 200 fish, giving me 800 tasty fish steaks. Obviously, this macro had been running for quite a while.

The best part, though, was right after I finished cutting up the steaks and started walking away. He was just showing up with his other character to pick up his macroed fish, only to discover that I had just walked off with them. He demanded his fish back, and I "regretfully" informed him that I have a strict no-returns policy for stuff I take from unattended macroers. I don't normally pull douche moves like that, but I don't like the idea of resource gathering while AFK, even if it is near-worthless fish, and even if it is technically legal.

Last edited by Derrick on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.