Guilds

Topics related to Second Age
Lor

Guilds

Post by Lor »

So I've been playing here almost two months now and I enjoy it thoroughly. I'm unemployed and it helps pass the time between applications and interviews, so naturally with spending so much time playing on here I've noticed some things that could use some improvement, namely the amount of guilds.

It seems like everyone and their brother has a guild to either macro with their alternate characters or to have a band of 3-4 friends. Either way, it leaves less possible recruits for those guilds with serious goals. The only really large guilds I've seen (such as UoH, K^A, and T^B, ACE, etc) have the numbers because they either had a surge in recruitment in the past and now are mostly inactive, or because they have many alternates on the stone.

My own guild that my brother and I started consists only of both of us and our friend. I was disappointed when we made up an entire guild structure, got a house, a stone, and a goal, and I've only had 2 people express any interest, both of whom decided against joining. I don't blame anyone for that, maybe my guild isn't interesting to the players here or maybe it's too much like one that's already here, but either way it seems like the majority of players here macro all day and PvP all night, with some gold farming in between.

The small section of the shard that is into roleplaying (which is what type of game this is) has a small base as well. But still I see people starting new guilds and trying new things. What's wrong with the options that are out there? I personally will be joining another guild soon because of my guilds failure.

For a roleplaying game there are sure a lot of people who don't consider a guild anything more than a way to fight other people.

Please don't flame, only discuss.

Faust

Re: Guilds

Post by Faust »

There are too many people here that would rather lead instead of follow even though they can't lead.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Lor wrote: The small section of the shard that is into roleplaying (which is what type of game this is)
So, if that's just a small section, I'm thinking it's NOT what type of game this is.

It's a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

Lor

Post by Lor »

Faust wrote:There are too many people here that would rather lead instead of follow even though they can't lead.
I think that's one of the problems. There's actually too many mature players here that all want to have their ideas heard and their guilds succeed but that don't have the follow through of a leader. That's not to say they shouldn't be heard, but you need to learn how to follow before you can lead.

And this game is different things for different people to be sure, but it was designed for people to be able to play different roles (role..play), and not everyone is the Lord of the manor, some are cronies and some are peasants. Not everyone is a serial killer, even though it seems like a lot of us want to be (myself included).

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

I think that players that are new to the shard do not know enough about the existing guilds to really want to join them. I know that I wouldn't want to be a part of a lot of the guilds in active existence right now.

Also, a lot of people don't even read these forums.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

but either way it seems like the majority of players here macro all day and PvP all night, with some gold farming in between.
i'm going to take heat on this one, but with multiclienting and razor not only allowed but ENCOURAGED that is essentially all that there is to do here, especially for the older players.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

dog1706
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dog1706 »

Havent gotten around to pming you in IRC. I am a night owl player.

I will join your guild LOR if you are not going to disband it.

Lor

Post by Lor »

I'm not disbanding it, it's not only my guild either. I'm still going to try to grow my guild, but I'm also going to try to help some other guilds out by joining them with other characters.

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Existing guilds don't need population, they need activity.
Placing your alts in other guilds will only split your attention amongst them.

Lor

Post by Lor »

I have a lot of time for attention right now, so I'm not worried about it. Activity is definitely another large problem, though, and people need to stop making new guilds to try to feel active..

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think there should be smaller guilds that coassign to larger ones...not just players who are recruited into them. Like alliances of families,clans, sworn loyalties,lieges etc without having to disband personal identity or affiliation. Or even on the contrary rebel groups which band together.

I believe using small groups in scenerios such as these add quite a bit of flavour.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Lor

Post by Lor »

Yeah I think that'd be a good way to go arch. Being able to ally with other guilds of similar nature. It's already out there, you just have to "war" them if you want to be able to spar and such.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Thats why I wish there was alliances here.

Smaller guilds can pick and choose their enemies and allies in a more democratic fashion, most larger guilds are there for new player protection or specific reasons and hardly war anyone.

Smaller guilds are more player based, alot of larger guilds are for powermongering even though they contribute to the community...with great power comes great responsibility the wisest of the GM's know that.

Smaller guilds are more tight knit, and have more one on one involvement if you so require it or seek it.

Larger guilds on the other hand have more resource and manpower. Which is both benefit and bane as there are more double agents in their ranks and they are harder to weed out.

I could go on and on about the different ways larger and smaller guilds have their perks and drawbacks.

The way I see it, have a small guild for you and a few buddies for starters but join a larger one either legitamately or as an insider spy when you are solo.

And don't hesitate to have your Ronin, your masterless swordsmen or rogue adventurer etc to just have some fun with complete strangers and especially new characters.

Even small guilds have a part to play is my main point...and new guilds should be encouraged rather then discouraged.

You have the oppurtunity to make the best of all worlds here...and carve a niche for your own to boot,
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

Lor from what I've seen this shard doesn't really have any role-playing. It's PvP, macroing or farming. If you want role-playing you might want to try some of those "private" shards, however, trying to get through the application process is like trying to get into the FBI. If you can get through the initial bureaucratic BS I've heard good things about them as far as role-playing goes.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

my dads in the fbi

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat