Opinions on revising my build a little bit (for Fishing)?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Foxhound3857

Opinions on revising my build a little bit (for Fishing)?

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Currently the skills my character is taking:

Swords.
Tactics.
Anatomy.
Healing.
Parry.
Resist Spells.
30 Magery/70 Hiding.

What I want to do is revise the build a little bit, dropping one skill in order to take and GM Fishing so I can go on SoS hunts in between dungeon grinds, without sacrificing too much utility in PvP or PvM. Mostly I plan to hunt Harpies, Earth Eles, possibly Ogre Lords and Cyclops and maybe some undead, but nothing much stronger than that.

So what skill do you recommend I drop for Fishing? Or should I just start an entirely new character for that?

Thanks.

What skill would you guys recommend that

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Opinions on revising my build a little bit (for Fishing)?

Post by Daolin »

I would drop the Parry for sure. Its not necessary to fight almost all of the monsters you listed, except ogre lords (which I really can't see a dexxer killing them in a timely manner)

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Daolin wrote:I would drop the Parry for sure. Its not necessary to fight almost all of the monsters you listed, except ogre lords (which I really can't see a dexxer killing them in a timely manner)
Are you sure? I was going to opt to drop Resist Spells, since it's way lower at the moment than my Parry score, and I tend not to fight Magical monsters most of the time (and I'd have to stock up on Fire Wall reagents to build it). That and I hear it won't really save you if a good PK Mage catches you off guard.

And doesn't parry affect the Armor you gain from shields? I use shields all the time, so that's a big factor for me. I just want to make sure that I don't regret losing Parry since it'll probably be a very long time before I even get around to actively raising Resist Spells.

P.S: And my plans for Ogre Lords were to use Blade Spirit scrolls.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

Seems like you already decided then :P Once again, that resist will make you more defensive than the parry for sure. Most melee creatures are a push over. Its the magical creatures that will require some extra defense. Although you don't really have a fast two-hand swords weapon w/ good dps like short spear for fencing and q-staff for macing.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Daolin wrote:Seems like you already decided then :P Once again, that resist will make you more defensive than the parry for sure. Most melee creatures are a push over. Its the magical creatures that will require some extra defense. Although you don't really have a fast two-hand swords weapon w/ good dps like short spear for fencing and q-staff for macing.
Yeah, and I really have no desire to use a halberd. I really prefer my broad sword.

Well, I'll give the Resist path a try then. I hope I don't end up missing that extra shield defense.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Foxhound3857 wrote:
Daolin wrote:Seems like you already decided then :P Once again, that resist will make you more defensive than the parry for sure. Most melee creatures are a push over. Its the magical creatures that will require some extra defense. Although you don't really have a fast two-hand swords weapon w/ good dps like short spear for fencing and q-staff for macing.
Yeah, and I really have no desire to use a halberd. I really prefer my broad sword.

Well, I'll give the Resist path a try then. I hope I don't end up missing that extra shield defense.
Stick with parry Foxhound. Sounds like what you really want anyways. Drop resist, just dont fight magic monsters. Earth elementals in Shame will be your bread and butter. If your gonna pick up reisist you might as well make a mage. Play it how you want, how it's mosts fun for you, and that doesn't have to be the most common, or effective way either.

Just be careful with Deep Sea Serpents.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

=( Too late, I started raising Fishing yesterday (71 now) and my Parry already dropped to 0.

I'll just get stronger armor to compensate for it.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

You'll want the magic resist for when you fish up serps/deep sea serps anyway. I think UO made the right chose for you

Return to “New Player Help”