Is Resist absolutely necessary for PvM?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Warrior monk

Is Resist absolutely necessary for PvM?

Post by Warrior monk »

I'm making my first character, a warrior for pvm to make money.

This is the template i'm planning:
GM Tactics
GM Anatamy
GM Healing
GM Swords
GM Archery
GM Parry
36 Magery/21 Tracking/43 Hiding

My Questions:
Will i be seriously gimped for PvM if i have no resist?
I know i have little chance against a mage in PvP, but i just want to make some cash fighting monsters. I want to keep archery cause i like being able to fire at runners, stay out of melee against hard hitting monsters, or switch weapons for the xbow insta-hit.

Also, i chose the 36 magery cause i read on stratics i can cast recall 100% off a scroll at that level. The tracking is just something i want and read you don't need that much.

So... Will i be able to hide reliably at only 43 skill?

Populus

Re: Is Resist absolutely necessary for PvM?

Post by Populus »

I highly doubt you can rely on 43 hiding. Drop the tracking. (:
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

yes it is.. drop the hiding and convert to magery imo.. drop the parry and convert to resist.. if its tough enough that you need parry, then you should be using archery

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Parry isn't great, unfortunately. If you're PvMing something that hits hard, you really don't want to stand toe-to-toe with it. Your best bet is to do drive-by hally swings, while healing all the while. I'd drop Parry for Resist. It costs a lot of cash to raise, but it will absolutely save your life a number of times.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

21 tracking is pointless unless you are trying to find the spot where to fizzle your reveal spell.

Having zero resist in any situation is like having zero combat ability in any given fight in my opinion. You are going to get hit...you are going to get hit hard.

Try this temp...I am sure others will give you other ones, and dont get discouraged in trying a few on your own just to see how things work. You could even keep the one above just to figure out your playstyle and then refine it from there
So here is the idea.

Melee weapon skill
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist
Magery
Wrestling

Okay the reason I say this is you need magery. It's your swiss army skill. And with wrestling you can heal or cure yourself when you cant use another potion and your bandage timer is freaking you out. Also its good to recall with when the situation is too dire.

I have parry instead of wrestling on one character, but that character is for group missions and sometimes I wish I had wrestling instead. You might want to keep parry in replace of wrestling only if you have one or two people to keep your back.

Every piece on the chessboard has its own purpose, strength, and weakness. Figuring them all out is another story.

Pray the enemy be mighty for one cannot boast of foothills to mountains.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Unlimited Bladeworks

Post by Unlimited Bladeworks »

This is the PvM build I use

Gm Archery
Gm Fencing
Gm Tactics
Gm Healing
Gm Anatomy
Gm Parry or Magic Resist
70 Hiding
30 Magery

100 Str
100 Dex
25 Int

Magic Resist is always great to have but can be very expensive to grandmaster. I recommend this build if you're new and aren't already established. I'd change parry to magic resist depending on your playing style.

For PvP, this build is good against dexxers because I have parry. It's also decent if you plan on solo hunting. You have to be careful around spell casting monsters but it isn't hard to manage. If you want magic resist instead of parry then this template is more viable in PvP against mages.

The idea of this build is to use good magic weapons to offset your weakness; no magic resist. Archery allows you to kill Ogre Lords and Poison Elementals with this template. Archery is useful cause you can maneuver monsters to get stuck on stalagmites in dungeons.

70 hiding/30 magery is something I always suggest for PvM warrior templates. You can recall w/ scroll in/out of dungeons, recall away from PKs easily, hide to avoid PKs while waiting for respawn.

Warrior monk

Post by Warrior monk »

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Unlimited Bladeworks

I don't recommend having a lot of skill in magery if you don't have meditation as well. Then you have to sacrifice dex for int and if you're using archery that isn't a good idea . Archery isn't fast with 100 dex and it's even slower at 75 dex.

Since you're a warrior, mana is going to be very limited compared to a mage. If you can't regenerate that mana your template is inefficient, it's counterintuitive. It doesn't matter if you can cast higher end spells because when you run out of mana... you won't be able to recover for a long time.

If you gm magery and meditation on your warrior, you're practically a meditation warrior. I'm not sure how that template is for PvM. I believe it's meant to be a PvP build though.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I believe on the contrary, high end magery is good for casting greater heals when you cannot drink a potion at the time and your bandage timer is creeping slower then your doom. You can have a 100 str 75 dex 50 int temp and still cast up to eigth level spells.

With a bless spell add 10 to all these, with a Greater Agility pot your dex is at 95 when you chug it as you see the red pop.

Seriously do you really want arch cure to be unavailable to you when you used all your potions up at Opheds or something about to recall then someone comes out brandishing a DPed weapon with your name on it making you lose your scroll?

Even at 100 Heal/Anat you're facing at least 32 secs before you heal. With low resist and no magery you'd be dead before then.

The only difference between PVP and PVM...there is no AI, that is it.

Yet if you are in the good hands of a mage all the time friend you may wish to consider the template bladeworks suggested.

I wouldn't fly solo with it though.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Unlimited Bladeworks

I was taking into consideration the OP's template, he wants archery and swords in his build. It really comes down to play style. If he wants archery and swords then magery should be placed on the back burner.

Having a bags of regs, and relying on so many extra different potions becomes expensive in the long run. 70 hiding and 30 magery allows you to avoid and survive PKs while not losing the gold you farmed. It's also very inexpensive to train those skills. And the equipment you are carrying isn't expensive to replace. It's very practical and if you die you don't lose much.

I carry multiple recalls scrolls so I wouldn't run out to begin with. If I was out of cure potions then I would recall and restock. I would also drop off the loot and come back. I don't use my PvM warrior at the Ophidians it's more productive to use a mage/bard there.

Unlimited Bladeworks

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Yet if you are in the good hands of a mage all the time friend you may wish to consider the template bladeworks suggested.

I play solo with my PvM warrior most of the time. He was my first character on this sever so I went with parry instead of resist. It took me only two days to save up 40k once the essential skills were GM'ed. Magical monsters is where you have to be cautious. I use power weapons so I end up killing the monsters before it has much of a chance to fight back.

If you want to stand a chance against mages just drop parry for magical resist.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Unlimited Bladeworks wrote:
archaicsubrosa77 wrote:

I play solo with my PvM warrior most of the time. He was my first character on this sever so I went with parry instead of resist. It took me only two days to save up 40k once the essential skills were GM'ed. Magical monsters is where you have to be cautious. I use power weapons so I end up killing the monsters before it has much of a chance to fight back.

If you want to stand a chance against mages just drop parry for magical resist.
Why can't you incorporate a build to include both Parry and Resisting Spells?

Given his general build, if anything should be dropped, it should be Archery. It's more of an inconvenience to him than a benefit.

Return to “New Player Help”