What is unattended resource gathering?

Moderator: Support Moderators

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

What is unattended resource gathering?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I have heard of people herding a ton of sheep taming them gating them to their house on one tile and shearing them after penning them in. So I attempted to do this. Someone said that if I went afk doing this it would be unattended resource gathering. I looked and seen some resource gathering is permissable such as off shore fishing.
What is the difference between gathering resources unattended and crafting them? When you craft them thats where your money really is.
So I guess tomorrow I have to have my guildmate retame some more if thats not permissable and they dissappear.
Can we have more definitive rules concerning afk macros what is permissable what is not? I figured tame sheep respawn, in my own house, it should be okay.
I mean really you could sit on irc all day and have your shearing macro play as you watch and then craft afk through the night or "item gathering". Which I also heard is against the rules. Fishing offshore afk is okay, what else is okay?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: What is unattended resource gathering?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

okay got my answer..it is illegal. I thought it would be different because it was within a private residence. I am going to assume it is until told otherwise.
Here is the link...
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 6&start=15
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

By server definition, it is when you are unresponsive on an account that is collecting wood, ingots, wool, fish, or any other resource.

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

so whats the penalty? :roll:

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Is afk buying (for example) reagents using an automated macro considered "unattended resource gathering"?
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Players caught afk resource gathering will receive a warning if they are new, after that, the account is banned. This is one thing we do not take lightly.

Buying is not considered as such.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Question: I read that unattended macroing for fishing is only prohibited for deep-water fishing. Is it acceptable for fishing on docks, shores, or other shallow water areas where the pull-ins are only basic?

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

I don't think fishing unattended would be considered "unattended resource gathering". From shore the only thing you'll be fishing up are fish or footwear, which only sell a pitiful amount. Also I believe after they fall to your feet, they will periodically decay. Deep sea fishing AFK is hindered because you cant fish and remain hidden. Fish up a deep sea serpent AFK and you probably going to die.

I would like clarification on what is considered a "resource" though. If AFK reg buying through automated macro is allowed then I don't see how you can't allow AFK mining. Just to be clear I am against AFK resource gathering.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Resource gathering is creation of new items out of nothing, much as mining. AFK buying of regs isn't creating it from nothing, it's more similar to afk blacksmithing. Fishing from shore is creating something from nothing, but it's been specifically exempted for some time, never really has been talked about much.
Churning vendors for gold, buying crafting and selling back would be considered resource (gold) gathering.

Note: AFK Fishing from shore is no longer allowed
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: AFK fishing from shore is no longer allowed.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Derrick wrote:Resource gathering is creation of new items out of nothing, much as mining. AFK buying of regs isn't creating it from nothing, it's more similar to afk blacksmithing. Fishing from shore is creating something from nothing, but it's been specifically exempted for some time, never really has been talked about much.
Churning vendors for gold, buying crafting and selling back would be considered resource (gold) gathering.
So is fishing from shore unattended allowed or not? I'm trying to GM from shore if I can...

(sorry if it's a stupid question, I just can't tell what you were implying with the word "exempted")

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Foxhound3857 wrote:
Derrick wrote:Resource gathering is creation of new items out of nothing, much as mining. AFK buying of regs isn't creating it from nothing, it's more similar to afk blacksmithing. Fishing from shore is creating something from nothing, but it's been specifically exempted for some time, never really has been talked about much.
So is fishing from shore unattended allowed or not? I'm trying to GM from shore if I can...

(sorry if it's a stupid question, I just can't tell what you were implying with the word "exempted")
It is currently legal to fish unattended from shore.

EDIT-Derrick can you explain what you mean when comparing AFK blacksmithing to unattended reg buying?

Note: AFK Fishing from shore is no longer allowed
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: AFK fishing from shore is no longer allowed.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

i buy regs in mass all the time and i will say this .. if your running a macro .. to run and buy your regs .. deposit .. get more gold recall back .. over and over .. you'll be broke soon .. i can spend 100k in about 20mins most times .. and in about 5min if all regs are max spawning (like they would be if you were running a macro for any length of time) .. maybe it just me .. but if you can do that .. then you deserve the regs ..

ps i only macro my vendor buy (with items i want and amount) and even this is disheartening to spend so much with so little effort wouldn't dream of making it easier myself ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Chaos wrote:i buy regs in mass all the time and i will say this .. if your running a macro .. to run and buy your regs .. deposit .. get more gold recall back .. over and over .. you'll be broke soon .. i can spend 100k in about 20mins most times .. and in about 5min if all regs are max spawning (like they would be if you were running a macro for any length of time) .. maybe it just me .. but if you can do that .. then you deserve the regs ..

ps i only macro my vendor buy (with items i want and amount) and even this is disheartening to spend so much with so little effort wouldn't dream of making it easier myself ..
The main thing that bothers me about the unattended reg buying is showing up a second after the AFKer just bought em all from the mage shops forcing me to either wait or go buy them in bulk from his vendor at a higher cost.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

make a rune book of mages .. i have one .. every good mage shop in it .. and i have a bag with runes to all the crappy ones .. i don't use most anymore .. true .. i buy in bulk .. hard to work them up every day .. and i'm broke by the time they get up there .. but before i bought in bulk i used them everyday .. i'd go though and buy 40-60 each every rune .. and had all i needed in short order ...chances are bot buyers don't bother with the crappy 1 two vendor shops

msg me if you to make some runes to mage shops

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Chaos wrote:make a rune book of mages .. i have one .. every good mage shop in it .. and i have a bag with runes to all the crappy ones .. i don't use most anymore .. true .. i buy in bulk .. hard to work them up every day .. and i'm broke by the time they get up there .. but before i bought in bulk i used them everyday .. i'd go though and buy 40-60 each every rune .. and had all i needed in short order ...chances are bot buyers don't bother with the crappy 1 two vendor shops

msg me if you to make some runes to mage shops
It's not really a problem for me now, I don't every require more than 30 of each reg at a time, but for new players without the money to buy in bulk, or means or knowledge to recall around to different reg shops, this can be quite frustrating. I'm not saying this practice is destroying the shard by any means, just consider it in the same category as unattended "resource" gathering. I think the definition of resource should be along the lines of "materials used to create another item" which would include regs. Just my opinion of course.