Stable Masters:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Stable Masters:

Post by Faust »

Re-opening this topic as directed.

Stable masters are suppose to "virtually" stable pets themselves not directly with in the stable itself. Stable masters weren't always invulnerable until the early '99 era. The reason they made them invulnerable was because people would kill them making their "stabled contents" lost forever. I am in no way asking that their invulnerable status to be removed but instead the way the server handles stables. The key difference between this is the fact that player run stable masters were not invulnerable unlike the regular npc cities were. This needs to be fixed and here is a post from another thread. I will add more information when I discover it again.
Faust wrote:I'm assuming that you meant if localization was transfered from the stables to the stablemaster, right? Stables are already localized in UO Second Age for accuracy.

Here is some info in regard for when stablemasters were made invulnerable...
Wednesday, October 11, 2000 - http://tamingarchive.com/index.php?archive=2000.10 wrote: Stablemasters on Test Center now have yellow names. Probably the best thing to happen to stablehands since they were all made invulnerable almost a year ago. It will make searching for a lost stablehand much easier once it gets put on a live shard.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Stable Masters:

Post by Kraarug »

Id like to see citations that prove that player run stablemasters and animal trainers were somehow different than the town ones. Particularly with the idea that they were able to be killed and thus losing the pets stabled with them.

That claim is totally incredible imho and would negate any use of a player run town having a stablemaster or animal trainer.

Any change that would bring the ability for a neophyte warrior or mage... hell... even a tailor or dire wolf, to destroy all stabled pets of a given stablemaster or animal trainer would have to be thoroughly vetted.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Show me proof that they didn't.

It goes both ways.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:Show me proof that they didn't.

It goes both ways.
Actually no, it doesn't. You are requesting a change and thus, the burden of proof is upon you.

This change is also so game altering that it does need to be thoroughly vetted before implementation. It's just common sense and good administration.

Faust

Post by Faust »

So you're telling me that you "remember" palyer ran stable masters were invulnerable?

PS
I'm not requesting anything son. This was already discussed several months ago and Derrick was in agreement based on the research from what I recall.

Again, show me the proof.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Can anyone name a player town in era that had a stable master? This could help

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:So you're telling me that you "remember" palyer ran stable masters were invulnerable?
I don't remember player run stables however I think that changes need to be vetted and thus if you are wanting to change the way stablemasters work then you need to prove it.

In your research I think you'll find that stablemasters were made invul sometime during 1999 T2A and so, for your change to be made without making player run stablemasters invul, you'll need to prove that there was some execption for player run stables.

It's a logical, common sensed, and good approach to making changes to exsiting systems. Especially one that would change the game so much.

Code: Select all

EDITED: On a side note, I do agree with you Faust that animals were stabled with the NPC that you interacted with.  

I seem to remember having to find the right one to claim my animals and thinking to my self that it would be nice to have it work the way it works on UOSA.  

Having said that, and because I support the idea of a true and accurate replication of 1999 OSI T2A, I'd like to see it work here with the localization you suggest.  

I just can not support treating player stables any different than town ones and so, this change should come with the Invul status that these NPCs were afforded in 1999.
Last edited by Kraarug on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Found an interesting article, however it is in turkish.

http://members.fortunecity.com/uoguidef ... taming.htm

Translated through google here:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... start%3D30

There is a smidgen on stabling that is horribly translated, there must be a turkish player here.

Also, this is just another source among many that confirms "all" not working with targetable commands, just a sidenote for any still interested.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kraarug wrote:I don't remember player run stables however I think that changes need to be vetted
This is the vetting :)

I had not previously seen it suggested that player run stablemasters would be treated any differently than town stables, with the exception of them being outside the guards.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Trash Talk - "stable masters in player towns = not cool" - Page 3 of 8
Faust wrote:I was positive that the stablemaster was responsible for the pets and not the stable itself. I remember when they made all stablemasters invulnerable because people would kill them in town losing all stabled pets. This caused a huge problem for tamers as you can imagine. I decided to look into this a little further and found this describing the new globalized stabling system being added below...
October, 2000
Hanse posted additional information about these changes:

"More information...

The new system benefits over the current system:

If a stablehand dies, you do not lose your pets.
If a stablehand is recreated, your pets do not have the chance of being on a stablehand you do not expect them to be on.
You can stable and unstable anywhere (stablemasters never fill up). This is a great bonus for the new players joining the game. Currently, some new players have a hard time stabling their pets in Trammel (and do not want to go to Felucca/do not have time to go to Felucca).
While spawn blocking is possible on Test Center, it is much more limited than the current system. It is only temporary and cannot be a permanent block, as with the current system. We do have a fix in progress for spawn blocking.
Better sub-server performance due to less NPC's on the sub-server. This would remove many more NPC's on a sub-server than add to it. A performance increase may occur.
Hitching posts can be added sometime in the future with the new system.
The list does not stop there, but those are the top six I could pull out at the drop of a hat."

Reference: http://martin.brenner.de/ultima/uo/news1.html
I specifically remember people making macros for certain stablemaster's names, because if there were multiple stablemasters and you said "claim" it would sometimes trigger the opposite one saying you had no pets stabled etc...

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

Does that post say that stablemasters could die in Oct. 2000, or am I reading too far into it?

Specifically:

"The new system benefits over the current system:

If a stablehand dies, you do not lose your pets. "

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

There is a smidgen on stabling that is horribly translated, there must be a turkish player here.
I'm not Turkish but I happen to have learned the Turkish language.
Hayvanımızı Stable etmek :
Geldik gene önemli konulardan birine.
Hayvanımızı doğada biryerde tame ettik ve ya gate büyüsü ile yada yürüye yürüye şehre kadar getirdik.
(Gate tavsiye ederim çünkü hayvanlarınız server line i geçemezler.Server line ın ne olduğunu sonra açıklıcaz.Sizin gene de Gate yapabilecek durumda olmanız gerekir.Yani kısaca 75-80 magery gerekiyor.)
Neyse şimdi naapıcaz bakalım.
Hmm evimiz varsa evimize bırakabiliriz ama hem tame den çıkarlar tekrar tame etmemiz gerekir, hem de OSI evlere monster koyulmasını yasakladı , başımız belaya girebilir.
O zaman genelde her şehirde bulunan horse , pack horse , pack llama gibi hayvanları satın aldığımız yere gidelim.
Yani bir Stablemaster'a.Stablemasterlar ellerindeki stafflarıyla ve üzerilerindeki Invulnerable yazılarıyla kolay bulunurlar.
Yapmanız gereken stablemaster'a gidip stable demek ve çıkan target cursorunu hayvanınıza kliklemek.
Stablemaster sizden 30 gold alıcak.
Hayvanınızın gücüne göre daha çok da alabilir.
Onu stable edicek.
Stable süresi gerçek hayattaki 1 haftaya eşittir.
1 hafta boyunca onu besler ona bakar.
Acil bir işiniz mi çıktı?
Gidin stablemaster'a claim deyin.
İste hayvanınız gene hizmetinizde.
Bazen stablemaster'ın bakması gereken çok hayvan vardır ve size I am full derler.
O zaman başka bi tanesine gidin.Herbirinin bir limiti vardır.
Eğer o şehirdeki hepsi doluysa başka şehre , o da olmadı felucca'ya geçip bırakın.
Stabling our animal:
We arrived at another important topic.
We tamed our animal somewhere in the nature and we brought it to town either by gating or by walking.
(I prefer gating because your animals cannot cross the server lines. I will explain later what a server line is. But still you ought to be able to gate. About 75-80 magery is needed.)
Let's look at what we'll do now.
If we own a house, we can leave it there but then it can go wild again and we need to retame it, also OSI made it forbidden to place monsters in the houses. We can get into trouble.
Thus let's go to the place that almost every town has and where we can buy and sell horses, pack horses and pack llamas and alike.
I mean, to the Stablemaster.
Stablemasters which can be found easily have a staff in their hand and have Invulnerable above them.
What we need to do is go to the stablemaster and say "stable" and then click the targettng cursor that appears on your animal.
Translators note: kliklemek, damn what a funny Turkish word
The stablemaster will take 30 gold from you.
Depending on the strength of your animal this can be more.
He will stable your animal.
The duration of the stabling takes 1 week in real life.
During one week he feeds it and takes care of it.
You have an urgent job?
Go to the stablemaster and say "claim".
That's it, your animal is back.
Sometimes the stablemaster has too many animals he's taking care of and will then say "I am full".
In that case go to another one.
They all have a limit.
If all the stables in the town are full then go to another town.
If that's not possible go to Felucca and leave it there
(in the meaning of, try to stable it there I assume).
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

Faust wrote:
Hiram wrote:Does that post say that stablemasters could die in Oct. 2000, or am I reading too far into it?

Specifically:

"The new system benefits over the current system:

If a stablehand dies, you do not lose your pets. "
My point proven... The taming archive clearly states that stable masters became invulnerable in early '99, but this article says that stables will not lose their pets when they die in October '00. I wonder what stable masters could die when they were invulnerable Kraarug... :roll:
I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and make all stablemasters killable, and have their pet banks be wipeable. It could be extrapolated from that post that perhaps the stablemasters were not properly made invulnerable?

Some initial benefits of killable stablemasters are:

1) It forces people to go out and re-tame creatures instead of amassing 10 dragons and running with them constantly. It will make the number of creatures carried by tamers lower (and closer to era accurate) since they will not have time to constantly replenish a supply of 10 dragons.

2) Another thread mentions spawnable creatures that were very rare. Lets talk about the Ancient Wyrm which was available through a bug. It would allow us to make the AW a tameable creature, but perhaps limit it to 1 AW serverwide to keep the number of AWs in check with realistic T2A values. If we did this with invulnerable stable masters it is very likely that one person will get an AW, and no one else ever will. In this system it makes it possible/easier to lose the AW (or other rare tameables) so that ownership can cycle.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Here is some more information related to stable masters.
Patch Notes - 1997 wrote: A new pet command, "transfer," was added. This completely transfers loyalty fr om one boss to another. This should be used to sell pets to other players, rather than "friend," which merely adds an additional master.
Animal trainers now understand the word "stable." They will charge you 30gp from your bank account to stable a pet, and will keep it safely (unless they are killed) and well-fed even while you are logged out. The word "claim" will retrieve all pets y ou have at a given animal trainer.
Patch Notes - 1998 wrote: NPC behaviors have been optimized and sped up. Aggressive creatures are now more immediately aggressive.
The number of creatures in the world has been increased; in addition, creatures in stables and invulnerable creatures (such as vendors) no longer count against creatures in the world.
Slimes now have a chance of splitting into two slimes when struck.
Some creatures now have acidic blood that can dissolve your weapon when you strike them, damaging the weapon slightly.
Human and humanoids alike will be a bit more talkative in combat.
The jungle south of Trinsic should have improved creature population.
Pets
Changes to stables:
Any of the friends or bosses of a pet can now retrieve it from the stables, instead of only the person who stabled it there.
All stables will have their contents wiped.
Stablemasters will have a limit on how many creatures they can stable.
Stabled animals will be destroyed after one real life week of being left in the stables.
Stabling pets will charge money first from gold on hand, then from the bank.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Perhaps I am wrong but if stable masters were killable and killing one caused all pets stored to go poof...would that make stable masters completely useless and unusable?
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock