Daily Rares & Accuracy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Gicod

Re: Daily Rares & Accuracy

Post by Gicod »

DeadHead wrote:Fairest way is to have server up spawns...Than Everybody will have a fair chance at competing. more about quicknest and luck. make it more like an event. It would make it much more about what item u want and hammer it. i cant wait around to see random timers...i do have somwhat of a life lol =P

Fairest for whom? I dont know much about the spawning times and such of rares, but its odd that you mention having "somewhat of a life" when making your case for serverup to be the 'fairest' way. Server down/up here in the CST time zone is typically around 6am-ish. So, while most first shift workers are either on their way to work already or busily scurrying about the house getting ready for work, you advocate having the rares spawn to be 'fairest'. Most 3rd shift workers I know are at that point on their way home from work or in the waning hours of their work day and arent even out of work yet to be home to go after the rares at the 'fairest' spawn time. Most second shift workers I know arent even awake at 6am and therefore are unable to chase after the rares and the 'fairest' server up spawn time. Last I checked, having "somewhat of a life" usually involves working one or more of these shifts. So, server up spawning is 'fairest' for whom exactly? Who are these 'everybody' you refer to being able to take advantage of such a system?

platypus

Post by platypus »

Mirage wrote:I suggest that their spawns be completely random throughout the day for dailys, that way anyone can get them if they're recalling around looking for them. If you put it on a daily server up spawn, the same person or people would be getting them every single day as they are now. The "timer" we have now isn't working. I have to listen to people say "well I'm the only one who knows the timer on it so goodluck grabbing it" when I go to buy something and they're charging insane prices for a daily rare. Obviously some items should spawn less often than others, but there still shouldnt be any timer on them with a window. As of right now it's not preventing the same person from getting the same rares over and over.
I agree 100% with Mirage. I've been collecting 1 of each rare for my museum for about a year now, and I've had to purchase/be given 90% of these, despite checking the spawns almost every day and attempting to camp a few. There should be NO way for anyone to time the spawns or know when the rare will spawn. Since the rare locations are public, this makes it possible for a newbie to camp the spawns from day one and make millions from like 5 minutes work. I've seen the prices of lvl 1-lvl 2 rares go way down since the spawns went public, but the prices of lvl 3-4 rares have skyrocketed, since like 5 people camp all the spawns and charge whatever they want. From what I've seen, some lvl 4 rares are selling for 300-400k+ simply because the same person camps them with an AFK char when its going to spawn.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

agree
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Shea

Post by Shea »

Any time frame on the changes Derrick referred to on page 1 of this thread?
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

Shea

Post by Shea »

Can someone confirm if the changes referred to by Derrick in this thread have been implemented? Or are they still in development?
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

No one who collects rares will tell you this, of course. Your best bet is to try to determine it yourself.

Shea

Post by Shea »

Mikel123 wrote:No one who collects rares will tell you this, of course. Your best bet is to try to determine it yourself.

Im hoping Derrick will confirm or deny.

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I wish people would just understand that mechanical accuracy should include rares. Its not a case of being fair or helping newb rares hunters, they should spawn as they did on OSI which in most cases is at server up. That way we could participate in era accurate rares hunting which is a feature currently missing from the shard. I remember when I first came here I assumed that they would be like OSI and I was disappointed to find that nothing spawned at server up. I guarantee I'm not the only person who has experienced that disappointment. All the naysayers are just people who know the timers of the current system or people who won't be around when the server resets.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

which server downtime/length of down time shoudl we emulate also, which shards rares

Hernando_Kortez

There is a comprehensive material available online describing the daily rares spawns, these were universal across all shards. You can find it here: http://www.uorares.com/Database/SpawningRares/index.php

Downtime is a separate issue and as we know it varied on OSI. I am perfectly happy with the it works at the moment and the fact is that if you wanted to hunt rares back in the day you sometimes had to change your rl schedule to get them. This is the same with many aspects of UO. No one is arguing that all IDOC's should fall in primetime cause its unfair to american players so why should rares be any different.

Arguing that rares drops should be thinned is also bullshit. Magic item drops have been made era accurate rather than population based and this has way more effect on gameplay.

Its very simple to understand. This is an era accurate shard so rares should be accurate....

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

should all the rares that spawn now be stopped until they can be proven to have spawned, and should their locations also be matched exactly to their osi locations?

We will also need to extend server down time by a random amount of time, an extra 30-50 minutes per day to recreate osi's random downtimes. That way we can accurately recreate the sitting logged out spamming the login button for 20 minutes hoping to be the first to get back online.

Hernando_Kortez

My main point is that rares which existed on OSI should be matched to accurate locations and spawn methods. Adding a random timer of 5-10 minutes for server up would be a fine way of making it more fun but I'm pretty sure the siege server came up at almost exactly the same time every day. The random uptimes during T2A era were most likely a technical issue rather than to do with game mechanics.

As for other rares I would personally rather there were no non accurate ones on the shard but that's another issue for another thread. I'm talking about daily rare's. The clue is in the name, they spawned daily, at server up!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

which ones were the daily server up ones on osi

Shea

Post by Shea »

Hernando_Kortez wrote:My main point is that rares which existed on OSI should be matched to accurate locations and spawn methods. Adding a random timer of 5-10 minutes for server up would be a fine way of making it more fun but I'm pretty sure the siege server came up at almost exactly the same time every day. The random uptimes during T2A era were most likely a technical issue rather than to do with game mechanics.

As for other rares I would personally rather there were no non accurate ones on the shard but that's another issue for another thread. I'm talking about daily rare's. The clue is in the name, they spawned daily, at server up!
The system cannot be recreated from OSI. There were several shards on OSI and each person could choose by region making their server downtime at a reasonable hour. If you chose to play on a server outside of your region that was your choice and your play was adjusted because of it. Because this mechanic cannot be recreated I believe the server uptime spawn will create an unfair advantage that could hurt the UOSA economy. It makes much more sense to make the rares have completely random spawn times in era accurate locations.

Again, I know we are striving for era accuracy but there are just some things that cannot be recreated and potentially damaging the economy in some half-assed attempt to be era accurate seems like a bad idea to me.

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

What about the rares that spawned in barrels like whips, hanging herbs, wire and forged iron?