Party and Guild Chat System Poll

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Don't get rid of the party/guild chat system?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Y
48%
N
52%

Total votes: 23

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Party and Guild Chat System Poll

Post by Mephistopheles »

Last edited by Mephistopheles on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

ArchaicSubrosa

Re: Party and Guild Chat System Poll

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

With things like Aim Irc's and Ventrillo it really wouldn't matter now would it?

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Yes, it would because we're trying for era accuracy.

Era Accuracy > The "Convenience" Argument

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

take the sword away one would grab his dagger take his dagger and he will use his hand...
so you remove these interface methods there are tons of other online confrencing to use and you can always draw stat bars.
If people are going to do this anyway, might as well use a better system implemented right in the program itself. Era fanaticsm to the point of being silly about it needs a new terminology...faneries?

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

or is this an excuse like...I lost because of party chat...lol

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Indeed Espionage does seem like a fun thing...but the fact of the matter is there are other ways to communicate from afar. What would keep a spy from using Aim or Ventrillo though being he needs only communicate to one leader of a group?

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Learn how to use ! and ;

And don't be such a cheap bastard. Comm Crystals are the way it was done if people didn't have any of the plethora of comm programs that have nothing to do with the main topic.

Yes, people will resort to other methods.

No, that argument is not valid.
Last edited by Mephistopheles on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Mephistopheles wrote:I think people are against it because they're the fairies.

Learn how to use ! and ;

And don't be such a cheap bastard. Comm Crystals are the way it was done if people didn't have any of the plethora of comm programs that have nothing to do with the main topic.

Yes, people will resort to other methods.

No, that argument is not valid.
If it is era accurate for people to use voice chat, then there should be no argument. What if someone was mute, or to maintain the validity of one's char or to keep the player's ID secretive apart from his/her characters they chose not to use voice chat?
Besides it's not era accurate what is the reason why you'd like to see these things go? I mean it seems like a personal issue. What's the real reason? I don't buy that era accuracy argument because people always use it to give themselves an advantage most of the time. How would this bring equality to the shard?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If everyone had access to the ingame chat feature I would be all for removal of this, but some people use dif. clients ect. and those options are not available to them.

edit: Yeah I know, accuracy blah blah, go ahead and flame or use this statement to "prove me wrong" on another topic.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

ArchaicSubrosa wrote:If it is era accurate for people to use voice chat, then there should be no argument.
Yup.

Ventrillo, IRC, AIM, ICQ, etc = Nothing to do with UO
UO = UO
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:What if someone was mute, or to maintain the validity of one's char or to keep the player's ID secretive apart from his/her characters they chose not to use voice chat?
If the person's mute, they wouldn't use ventrillo to begin with.

You can mask your voice using any voicechat prog.

If you're trying to "maintain" your character's validity by refusing to use Ventrillo, then I'm sure you wouldn't be using any of the other afforementioned progs either and haven't no reason to disagree with this change as your playing on this shard means a compliance with a FS that makes an effort at a PERFECT emulation of T2A.
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:Besides it's not era accurate
Why say something that isn't true? Prove your statement.
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:what is the reason why you'd like to see these things go?
An equally invalid question.
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:I mean it seems like a personal issue.
Fail.
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:What's the real reason?
Another invalid question. The answer has been given.
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:I don't buy that era accuracy argument

Sorry =[
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:because people always use it to give themselves an advantage most of the time. How would this bring equality to the shard?
When were we talking about equality?

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

You could use it to...
have you?
Well if players are going to use other means to amp their performance you might as well make it so every player has it built right in don't you think?
Some guilds have established themselves with ventrillo, you have to have it to join. If party/guild chat is removed new players or players who wish not to reveal their identities would suffer severe disadvantage while well established players would have supreme dominance discouraging newbies from playing.
If you only play solo, I think these things are a good test of your abilities but if it is too much hardship...it's time to develop at least limited social interaction.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Besides it leaves more visibility on screen

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

There are bigger things to worry about than this.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

I disagree. Communication is a fairly important aspect to the game.

venox

Post by venox »

Mephistopheles wrote:
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:If it is era accurate for people to use voice chat, then there should be no argument.
Yup.

Ventrillo, IRC, AIM, ICQ, etc = Nothing to do with UO
UO = UO
wrong. this is a marriage of two things. a coming together. you would not use the IRC channel secondage, if secondage did not exist

here is your new proposed party/guild chat.
and i dont ever have memories of this during t2a.
Attachments
irc.JPG
irc.JPG (77.33 KiB) Viewed 4578 times