Era Accuracy: Party System

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Preventive Paradigm

Era Accuracy: Party System

Post by Preventive Paradigm »

The Party system, featured so prominently on the front page of this shard,

http://www.uosecondage.com/PicOfDay/SS20090515.jpg

is entirely incorrect and wrong for this era. The party system was actually added with the UO:Rennisance patch, as evidenced by archived UO publish notes dated 28 Apr 2000 00:00:00 EST(making them nearly a year beyond the target era.) This is a gaping hole in an otherwise good replication of t2a, please fix this issue and remove the party system.

Relevant Publish Notes
The Party System
The party system will allow players to adventure together and communicate more effectively.

Hernando_Kortez

Re: Era Accuracy: Party System

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I think party system and guildchat should be removed. It might not seem like a big thing but forcing people to talk "out loud" in game more could make the server feel a little more alive.

Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Arkon »

I wondered about this myself, when I got invited to join a party. I didn't remember the party system in T2A.

Doesn't really bother me either way though, but if the goal is accuracy, ya it should go.
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."

Jiggo

Post by Jiggo »

The biggest advantage of the party system is that it allows team mates to keep health bars up during pvp. Removing this would definitely bring back the feel of having to continually grab bars. HOWEVER, the newer UO clients make all health bars sticky, party or not, so removing it doesnt seem that important, especially since things like UOAM allow a party chat anyways. It would just make it so more annoying things had to be downloaded.

That said, its definitely a glaring inaccuracy.

Even if party chat sticks around, guild chat should be removed as it wasnt added until AOS.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

You must be a red solo artist that can't take the heat of a communicative party. Having taken advantage of newbs and players in the midst of combat or other vulnerable situations, its fitting that the shoe is on the other foot during these party hunts.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Then remove Ventrillo as well then! :|

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

ArchaicSubrosa wrote:Then remove Ventrillo as well then! :|
Roger Wilco and indeed voice chat existed at that time.

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

The biggest advantage that party chat brings along is the Razor map that shows where your party members are. If party chat was removed, it would force a lot of guilds to use UOAM.

I sure hate UOAM.

LordAltay

Post by LordAltay »

If this shard is going for accuracy, party system should be removed.

The fact that it makes things convenient shouldn't even be brought up... Tram made things convenient too, remember?

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

I recall long distance communication was achieved via crystals during T2A. There's also the in-game chat system accessed from your portrait.

I don't really care either way.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

It's been discussed a number of times.. remove party chat, remove guild chat. Players will have to learn how to deal with the in-game systems designed for T2A gameplay, they were "CHAT" and Comm Crystals.

To my understanding, the CHAT in-game client gets disabled with any UO client past 6.0.0 and the Comm crystals aren't working perfectly here (though maybe they are now?), so this would have to be taken care of before party chat should be removed.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

I thought it was a limitation for Derrick because those were clientside? I could be wrong here but that was my understanding of why it has remained for so long.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

it hasnt been gotten to as there are things that are more important to more people being fixed
doesnt mean it wont be gotten to eventually
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Aye the ingame chat system was taken out past client version 6, and it is client side. That is one of the downsides to removing the systems. as discussed before.
<@SecondAge> Several Lichs have been spotted in the Britain Graveyard.
<@SecondAge> The cause is unknown and several townspeople were seen fleeing in fear
<Vintirex-droid> Several townspeople, Not a big enough problem imo

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

are crystals working now? They didn't a couple weeks ago