Computer Blowup Coincidence?

Epileptick

Computer Blowup Coincidence?

Post by Epileptick »

First off I am fairly sure I can't spell coincidence properly. I am aware.

Second....perhaps this is just a wild coincidence but:

On my superhardcore liquid cooled, dual cored, sli'd up mofo of a supercomputer - I install your client with the patch off the downloads section and play the game for exactly 1 day and then the next day when I wake up the freaking computer is FRIED. Power supply (550W SLI enabled coolermaster) is SHOT and the computer is rendered useless.

The next day I con my ex into using her crappy 9 year old PC which you would think would run a 15 year old game just dandy. And it did.....for *DUN DUN DUUUUN.......* 1 day. Then guess what happened?

The computer wouldn't get past the first screen on bootup when it says it's recognizing the parts of the computer. To be more specific, the hard drive was not only fried but the PC refused to even recognize it....thus rendering the 2nd PC useless.

The thing that I noticed before this happened the second time was windows saw that there was a corrupt something in the installation and needed to run scandisk to fix it.

The fiend I am....
I am now installing it on a 3rd computer. All I want to know is if this has happened to anyone else after installing this game/version.

If I blow up my girlfriends moms PC because of this game i'm probably going to be living in a cardboard box.

Epi out
peace
xoxoxoxxox

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Computer Blowup Coincidence?

Post by Safir »

Epileptick wrote:If I blow up my girlfriends moms PC because of this game i'm probably going to be living in a cardboard box.
I'm sorry to hear that the client is giving you problem, unfortunately I can't help you, I just had to say that the quoted line made me laugh for about 5 minutes... ;) Thank you! ;)

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Seems odd that this game client would do that...
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

One interesting characteristic of the UOClient is that it does take the processor to 100% CPU utilization quite often, which could potentially lead to overheating on an overclocked board.

Batlin engineered a client hack to fix this, it's posted here:
http://forum.joinuo.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=175

Still a bizarre sequence of events. I'm very leaning towards coincidence on this.

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

I have been in IT all my life and I can say that it is unlikely the client has nothing to do with your issue, I would be surprised if it did. Except for what Derrick mentioned regarding overheating on an already overclocked motherboard.

I would like to comment on your setup. I personally believe all that extra junk is a waste of money and effort and only increases the risk of your system going belly up. I can build a total stock, with stock CPU cooler/fan, stock everything that will wipe any liquid cooled, overclocked, too expensive setup. In fact, a few of my friends tried setups like that, and we benchmarked against my stock setup and I blew them away. More interestingly, one of my friends CPU was fried from the benchmarking process. Every one of those buddies went back to stock setups. Overclocking a CPU will only provide you with a very minimal increase in speed, not enough for the human eye and brain to comprehend, so why bother? The liquid cooling? Now you're adding extra maintenance having to replace the fluid periodically. The only good thing liquid cooling can do for a CPU is extend it's life by keeping it cooler than status quo. When you overclock a CPU with a liquid cooler you are basically running it at the same temp and stress level as a stock CPU with a standard cpu fan. If you want speed, don't overclock, just buy a faster processor.

From your description, I believe your CPU is running either too hot or beyond it's clock threshold. The symptons match perfectly to that of a slightly overheated CPU. I've seen this too many times to count.

Although I don't know why you had issues on the second computer, but you even said it's a dinosaur.

Just my professional opinion....