Guide: How to PROPERLY QUOTE on the forums

Moderator: Support Moderators

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Guide: How to PROPERLY QUOTE on the forums

Post by Safir »

Alright, I've seen TOO many posts where people double post quoting different people and replying to them, which is completely friggin' unnecessary since you CAN and SHOULD quote multiple people in the same post. So I'll write a small guide for all of those that haven't learned how to Properly Quote multiple people on these forums yet.

First off I'll explain the code used to quote people.

Code: Select all

[quote]The part of something written somewhere that you want to Quote.[/quote]
So the quote code is thus:

[quote][/quote]
The first part starts the quotation and the second part ends the quotation.
Before the Quote:

[quote]
After the Quote:

[/quote]
Now that you've grasped the basics, I'll show you how to be able to easily tell others who the quote originated from.

[quote="Safir"]This code will show others who wrote this text, in this case me, Safir.[/quote]
This is how the quote will look when posted:
Safir wrote:This code will show others who wrote this text, in this case me, Safir.
As you can see, the above Quote shows that it was originally written by Safir.

This is the part that will show who it is quoted from:

="Safir"
and is to be inserted within the brackets of the quote code before the quote (the first part of the quoting code):

[quote="Safir"]

Ok, so how does one practically do this? I'll show you using pictures for your convenience.

When reading a topic, you'll notice every post having a small button that says "Quote", please look at the image below:

If you click that button, that entire post will automatically be added to your post within the quoting code, and the forums will also automatically add the part that shows who wrote what you are quoting.

There is also another way to quote from the same thread that you are posting in. When you click the button that says "Reply", if you scroll down a bit when typing your post, you'll notice the latest previous posts being listed in reverse order. Let me illustrate this with another image:

As you might notice, there are once again "Quote"-buttons available. If you click one of those buttons that entire post will automatically be added to your post within the quoting code, and the forums will also automatically add the part that shows who wrote what you are quoting.

What is interesting about this is that you can click multiple buttons after each other. This will result in you quoting multiple(!) posts.

When typing your post it could look something like this:

[quote="Safir"]A post to be quoted, let's call it number 1.[/quote]
[quote="Safir"]Another post to be quoted, this'll make two(!) posts quoted in one(!) post! Let's call this post number 2, just when you take a crap.[/quote]
These quotes would look like this:
Safir wrote:A post to be quoted, let's call it number 1.
Safir wrote:Another post to be quoted, this'll make two(!) posts quoted in one(!) post! Let's call this post number 2, just like when you take a crap.

Now what happens if you quote a post that already has quoted someone? Well, the original post that you are quoting will contain the quote that the poster has quoted. Let me show you how it would look when you are typing your post. Let's call the person you are quoting "User 1", and the person User 1 has quoted "User 2".

[quote="User 2"][quote="User 1"]Lalalaaaa I'm User 1, I beat us azz in PvP and I lizzen to Britney Spear while I do et sucka![/quote]Stfu lozah noob, I'm User 2 and I pwn u 1v1 any day betch! Bring et![/quote]
And this is how the quotes will look when you have posted your answer to User 2:
User 2 wrote:
User 1 wrote:Lalalaaaa I'm User 1, I beat us azz in PvP and I lizzen to Britney Spear while I do et sucka!
Stfu lozah noob, I'm User 2 and I pwn u 1v1 any day betch! Bring et!
If you want to reply to only User 1, you'll of course not quote User 2, but only User 1.

And if you want to reply to both User 1 and User 2, you'll need to quote them both, using the method mentioned above, but clicking the Quote button when typing your message.

But what if you only want to quote a certain part of a post? For example, you might not want to Quote User 2 quoting User 1, since you are already quoting User 1 yourself. Let us then revisit the above code with colors this time. User 1 and code related to that person will be blue, and User 2 and code related to that person will be orange. For ILLUSTATION purposes the brackets will be replaced by parenthesizes in the following example.
(quote="User 2")(quote="User 1")Lalalaaaa I'm User 1, I beat us azz in PvP and I lizzen to Britney Spear while I do et sucka!(/quote)Stfu lozah noob, I'm User 2 and I pwn u 1v1 any day betch! Bring et!(/quote)
This means that the "quote code that ends a quote" belongs to the "quote code that begins a quote" closest previous to that "quote code that ends a quote". In other words:

This code, the code that ends a quote:

[/quote]
Belongs to the closest previous code that begins a quote:

[quote]
This will help you keep track of what parts of quoted text belong together.

Now please remember this when using the forums, and keep in mind how to quote several people within one of your own posts. It might be difficult the first time you try it out, but you'll get the hang of it in no time at all. ;) Also, please feel free to test your quoting skills here in this topic, but remember, no trash talk, this is supposed to be constructive.

Now if a Moderator/Administrator would be so kind and make this a sticky, we'll have a much healthier forum posting in the future.

Thank you for reading this! Good Luck!

Proselyte

Re: Guide: How to PROPERLY QUOTE on the forums

Post by Proselyte »

Safir wrote:Thank you for reading this! Good Luck!
You can also delete some of the person's text so you can quote just the section that you want :) Probably not a good idea to change what the person actually said though...

This should be obvious but if you're not sure that your quote is going to look right then use the "Preview" option before you submit and it will show you your post.

Good idea for a guide, Safir.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

This is an excellent post![/quote]
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Proselyte wrote:
Safir wrote:Thank you for reading this! Good Luck!
You can also delete some of the person's text so you can quote just the section that you want :) Probably not a good idea to change what the person actually said though...
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, but I'll add to that and tell you all that whenever choosing to only quote a part of someones post, make sure that whatever part you decide to quote is unaltered and intact. In other words, don't change anything, just choose.
Proselyte wrote:This should be obvious but if you're not sure that your quote is going to look right then use the "Preview" option before you submit and it will show you your post.
This is very important, and I neglected to mention it. Another thing you can do, after you have posted your post, you can always edit it in case it didn't come out looking right or if you forgot to write something.
Proselyte wrote:Good idea for a guide, Safir.
hiicha wrote:This is an excellent post!
Thank you guys! ;)

Return to “New Player Help”