Stealing and Karma

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Stealing and Karma

Post by Flash Hardstar »

An active thief on OSI would quickly, through this act, drop to the "scoundrel". Currently there is no change in notoriety title from stealing or snooping. This was a good indicator to people whether someone was a thief or not.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Prurk

Re: Stealing and Karma

Post by Prurk »

Really? I remember thieves killing monsters to gain karma/fame so they could fool people into thinking they were not thieves. Was the loss of karma actual? Or was their title simply changed?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

yep.. i killed many many rats for that very reason.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I used to pursue -5lvl karma, so I would be "Outcast" and not look so thiefy.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

If you are a member of the thieves guild, you should have no notoriety title. This is era accurate.

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

Derrick wrote:If you are a member of the thieves guild, you should have no notoriety title. This is era accurate.
Ah fantastic. Good tip to spot the lil buggers as well!

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

Strange...I remember it this way too. Getting down to "Rude" from snooping and to "Scoundrel" from stealing. Maybe I'm wrong.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Proselyte wrote:Strange...I remember it this way too. Getting down to "Rude" from snooping and to "Scoundrel" from stealing. Maybe I'm wrong.
same. my only char on osi was a thief.
Kraarug wrote:yep.. i killed many many rats for that very reason.
i did the same thing in the sewers everynight before i went to bed.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in by response. Yes both stealing and snooping should reduce karma. I was under the impression they did here.

You just can't see it on their paper-doll, but it should be visible to the thief himself

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

Derrick wrote:Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in by response. Yes both stealing and snooping should reduce karma. I was under the impression they did here.

You just can't see it on their paper-doll, but it should be visible to the thief himself

im pretty sure it should be visable to everyone. i think the only time it was hidden to other chars on OSI was when the theif used a disguise kit. i definatly remember 95% of all theives on chesapeake had the title "scoundrel".

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

ClowN wrote:
Derrick wrote:Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in by response. Yes both stealing and snooping should reduce karma. I was under the impression they did here.

im pretty sure it should be visable to everyone. i think the only time it was hidden to other chars on OSI was when the theif used a disguise kit. i definatly remember 95% of all theives on chesapeake had the title "scoundrel".
I think you are right. If you were on your real name then your karma displayed.

Man, I miss my OSI bank thief.

I remember when the flagging changes came into effect people would describe me when I was gray to them and blue to others and their guildmates would gank me.

One night, on chessy, I got about 10 bank thieves to all dress alike... and we had a blast.

Sure, we didn't get much loot but I liked krimping those little smart asses that would prance around the bank in their ranger armor and such. We had the GMs called on us and such... it was a mess and I knew that changes were a'comin.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Here's the patch note for this:
Thieves Guild, new skills, and more Feb 24 1999 1:06PM
Thieves Guild, new skills, and more Feb 24 1999 1:06PM wrote: Members of the Thieves Guild do not display professional titles on the paperdoll to anyone except themselves, regardless of skill level or fame.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Fame and karma titles did show for thieves even in the thieve's guild. It was always possible to distinguish a thief from the standard "scoundrel" reputation title. The only thing that didn't show was professional titles as mentioned in the patch note. For example, "the scoundrel ted" would show up in this instance like normally, but "the dread lord ted grandmaster thief or "the glorious lord ted grandmaster thief" would not show up. The only thing that patch excluded was professional titles related to their skills.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:Fame and karma titles did show for thieves even in the thieve's guild. It was always possible to distinguish a thief from the standard "scoundrel" reputation title. The only thing that didn't show was professional titles as mentioned in the patch note. For example, "the scoundrel ted" would show up in this instance like normally, but "the dread lord ted grandmaster thief or "the glorious lord ted grandmaster thief" would not show up. The only thing that patch excluded was professional titles related to their skills.
Gotcha. I see the distinction now.

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

I think the karma hit should be more than what it is now for snooping and stealing.
Obviously, stealing should be a bigger karma hit than snooping.
You should be a scoundrel after macroing snooping to about 70.