Provocation? For money!?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Skirmish

Provocation? For money!?

Post by Skirmish »

Hey all,
I was having a really hard time starting out and I was told provocation can make some good money. I'm 90% music and 70% something provo and I don't see how it could possibly make money. I was able to get a drake and a dragon going at it in Destard ONCE but I die every single time. Instead I went to a graveyard where the mobs take forever to kill each other even 4 on 1 and most of the time, somebody else will come in and kill me then finish off the mobs.

What's the deal? How is provocation actually supposed to make money? Maybe i'm missing something.

On the other hand, I do love having the title of Bard :o

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Provocation? For money!?

Post by Wise »

Dragons on Dragons or go to Cyclops Vally in T2A :D
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Skirmish

Post by Skirmish »

As I approach them they shoot a fireball at me bringing me to around 75% HP. Go over to get the second one, that brings me to 50%HP, head back over to the first dragon, hit me again down to 25%. PRAY they start fighting. One dies, the second one nails me for the rest of my 25% and I'm toast.

All assuming nobody else comes in and wacks me first.

My stats are 75/55/91 (I am 50 magery which is why int is so high)

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

You should consider healing yourself when your health gets that low. There are two healing spells you can use, Heal and Greater Heal. You'll have to buy the scrolls and put them in your spellbook first though.

Also, try to raise your strength, since the str represents the amount of "hit points" you have.

Try to invest in a mount. This will help you run away from strong monsters to give you an opportunity to heal if would be necessary.

When provoking dragons and drakes, remember that drakes are much weaker than dragons. It usually takes several drakes to kill a single dragon, so when it's possible try to provoke dragons against dragons, or several drakes on a single dragon.

Roach

Post by Roach »

my tip : train provo till your in the 90's.. failing = 10 seconds running around like headless chicken :P just go to delucia and train on a bull :D than go somewhere in T2A where theres not allot of pkers and go ahead :)

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

Your provocation isn't ready for dragons in the 70s. Try macroing it until 90 and try again.

At your skill level some liches or any type of elemental would be just fine.
tips:
  • always keep magic reflect up
    bind an invis key
    bind a quick recall
    use summons

Skirmish

Post by Skirmish »

Lots of great suggestions! Thank you! I do need to up my provocation though I'm currently in Papua. I'll run back to the mainland and get my skills up further with a bull. I'll also need to consider using my magic more. I did start to up my STR yesterday with herding so I should be around 100 now.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll get right on them. :o

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

When I did a lot of provo this was my template.

music
provo
mage
mediation
resist
hiding
wrest

It helps a lot to have hiding, you could even trade out wrest with stealth if you wanted to. Makes it a lot easier to get your stuff off of you body when you die. After that and a mount, provo dragons was no problem. Through an ev or a couple of bs' in towards the one with the heighest health and just hide and wait! after the dragon kills the other one they will finish the other off!
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Skirmish

Post by Skirmish »

ecetres wrote:When I did a lot of provo this was my template.

music
provo
mage
mediation
resist
hiding
wrest
Funny you should list these... I am:
music
provo
mage
meditation
hiding
wrestling

My 7th is actually inscription but I may end up moving those points elsewhere.

Speaking of casting BS, why is it that I can only cast BS maybe 4 tiles away? I'm always afraid it is going to attack me instead of the mobs...

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

you should be able to cast bs and ev up to at least 9 tiles away. rember though if you are in destard that you have to cast on the same lvl of ground that you are on, otherwise it may not cast or make it to were you cant cast as far.
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Skirmish

Post by Skirmish »

ecetres wrote:you should be able to cast bs and ev up to at least 9 tiles away.
Hmm.. I was just doing this in a graveyard yesterday (completely flat). And I could only cast about 4 tiles away which was very troublesome.

I'm going to test this on Wednesday (after the last day of classes).

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

just so you know you can GM provocation off two rabbits, chickens, etc. Gains aren't based on difficulty of the target. That came later. There is a thread in the guides section describing how to block off two animals in a home and macro your provo. If you do not have a home you can try one of the stables. Avoid towns that are heavy populated (like brit) though because people will come and grief your bard while you try to skill. Little tip: you can block animals many different ways such as boxes and fences. So if you are clever yet homeless you can find a nice quiet spot.

Summons have a quite a long distance. If your ingame screen is at 800x600 you can cast everywhere on screen except the very outer edges.

Return to “New Player Help”