A "Vote Shop"

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Brett

Re: A "Vote Shop"

Post by Brett »

somethng similar to help request messages, ie a small box in the corner or the screen, would be nice

Daltrey

Post by Daltrey »

I like Safir's idea. I always forget to vote, and a small reward ingame would be a good incentive to remember. If it's something that doesn't actually change the game or unbalance it, I don't see many people complaining if it's for the growth of the shard.

Either that or just have something pop up to nag you when you log in. That'll work to remind me to vote, too. :)

Bakishwaka

Post by Bakishwaka »

in-game rewards for voting is a smashing idea, but it IS a double edged sword

i played a browser game with an acronym of BRO (i wont post a link) that started off with voting for points to use special powers, it was a great system, worked SUPER well, it was the #1 game on a few on those sites because of it

the admin realized that and started doing weekly "review" contests. people would write a review and post it to all the voting sites, and the best one would get a huge prize, like the equivalent of an 8th skill here in UO. that was also cool beans, cuz i like to write.

then the devs included throwing these points in with donations, that didnt please me cuz i knew what would happen. and sure enuff, the reviews, the voting, and a $10 dollar a month subscription got people enough points to be L337 GODLY 3 weeks into game....

having a spotlight on the main page, voter of the month/week would be best, let the specific player post their own screenshots and write their own bio, so it could be used as a propz post, or a marketing scheme, or just pure comedy, dependant on what the lucky voter wanted

and ya man, POST THAT VOTING SCRIPT DUDE!

..in game rewards for voting sounds totally fair and fun, but its a gateway drug man ... from there it COULD slide into the eventual destruction of everything we've come to love here!

Charles Darwin

Post by Charles Darwin »

Derrick wrote:I'll bump it too, but are there any thoughts on rewards that could be given outside of game, like IRC/Forums/MyRunUO that might also encourage voting? The policy really has been no in game reward at all for anything outside of game, and we have stuck to that for a long time.
I'm vehemently opposed to giving in game rewards for voting. Players should vote in the hopes the player base expands therefore giving their in game businesses more business.

Rewarding players who vote will create exploits, and could damage the economy. In my opinion.

Charles Darwin

Post by Charles Darwin »

Safir wrote:
noxmonk wrote:Shouldn't people be voting regardless?
Well that's the thing. People obviously don't. That is why this is a suggestion to get people voting for the greater good of the shard with some sort of incentive to keep them voting every day.
We have the same problem in the United States, or any world democracy for that point.

Now, the only reason I make this comparison is because in the US we have parties that have get out and vote campaigns. They encourage their base to vote for whichever ballot/initiative/candidate they support.

So you could encourage you guild to vote for you server.

For instance, Safir, in game you have housing that is available to new players. Why not use that as a leveraging tool to encourage our newcomers to vote for the shard?

I think ideas like this are stronger, then potentially polluting the economy with artificial rewards. Such as the event system currently does.

Zim

Post by Zim »

Kefka wrote:How about making event gates use up a vote point every time you use them?

Just an idea.
AWESOME idea!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I really appreciate all the brainstorming here. Voting does matter a lot, from an administrative perspective I don't want to pressure people into it, but you are welcome to.

I especially want to keep to no in game rewards for any activities outside of game completely strict, I really feel that this policy is one of our most sacred.

Daltrey

Post by Daltrey »

Perhaps a "Click Here to Vote" box at the bank, then? I think I remember seeing this discussed previously on the forum, but maybe it should be reconsidered.