Horse Speed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Orsi

Horse Speed

Post by Orsi »

I certainly remember horses/ostards not being so ridiculously fast back in T2A, not because of lag but because they didn't run smoothly. When running on a horse it was more of like a 2 step... pause.... 2 step.... pause etc. One reference to this is with GM Lonestar's horse races (somewhere on a wtfman.com site, I'll get it later) where he found out who was using UOE's fast walk by seeing who didn't have the lag step.

I bought a horse recently and it seems pretty smooth riding, thought I'd bring it up.

http://www.wtfman.com/mcd/ronandpals.htm - Half way down:
Having recently remembered the post on Dr. Twister's news page about Lonestar and his "Horseraces" he held in order to test for UOE on whatever shard that was, I of course told him it was brilliant. If it was a true story, it was damned funny. That's how I knew he had skills. An ingenius GM idea. Did such a thing really exist, or was it just another fairy tale? Well, naturally, it appeared Lonestar denied the motive of checking for UOE, and said what was said on Twister's site was false, and that he had read that bit too. What he said was that he started it as a Fun RP Event, but then afterwards realized that people would probably say what he read on Twister's page. Looked like a classic GM coverup. Regardless, I still think that horserace idea was terrific if I do say so myself.
Don't know if I can find the Dr.Twister post it's referring to, but it does indicate there was a lag step in the horse's ability to run.
Last edited by Orsi on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Horse Speed

Post by Flash Hardstar »

smooth riding horses is simply a fast cable/dsl connection :) even myself when i saw the very few first players using high speed connetions while i was on 56k, i thought they were speed hacking and paged gm's lol
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

No, I'm almost certain that's not the case, my cousin had a DSL connection in 2002 when he started playing UO again and I remember the same thing on horses happening. It's atleast something worth looking into.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Horses should be kicking their rider off if they are not fed as well.

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Silverfoot wrote:Horses should be kicking their rider off if they are not fed as well.
Yes!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

When I first started playing UO in 99 on a 100 mhz Windows 95 computer, I generally avoided riding on horses for two reasons; my computer lagged much more on a horse, and my 56k connection coupled with the physical computer lag made horses slower than movement on foot. In early 2000 just before UOR came out, we got ourselves DSL and a new 533 mhz Windows 98 computer. The results were like night and day with movement speeds on horse equaling that of the movement speeds that we see here on UOSA. This particular movement speed persisted throughout all of UOR with no difference all the way until I quit playing after the release of AoS. In some of my recent researching, I had reactivated my account using one of the 15 day trials that were available and while I was on current OSI servers. While it was the main intent of my reactivation, I was able to observe and compare the movement speeds on OSI servers to previous movement speeds, and my current movement speed on UOSA. Through my observations, I can say that my movement was identical on live servers to how it had been during UOR, and the movement is also identical to the movement on UOSA.

Overall, there is no convincing argument that suggests that the raw movement speed of a player on a horse was ever 1 or two seconds between each step. In that respect, nearly all of the purpose of a horse would be lost if that were indeed the case.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Well then, how about the issue with under fed horses?

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

heh Faust, I gotta call you out! I don't have the box with ,e in Boston.. but I feel like i'm fairly certain yo uneeded ateast 166 mhz to play the game...? I could be wrong.. but i think this was min requirements..
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Scythe wrote:Well then, how about the issue with under fed horses?
Horses definitely should buck you when underfed. This should currently be implemented, but I will check that today to be sure.

No reports of being bucked off a horse here?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I am mounted 24/7 and never feed the horse, and never get bucked off.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Horses definitely don't ever buck you off... I have experienced horses abandoning me soon as I get off them. I'm 100% positive that they don't buck you off but instead wait until you get off to leave you.

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

Hmm, I never noticed before but it's true. I feed my horse an apple every so often but I have never been bucked off. I've often wondered why it didn't leave after a long play session or mounted macro :)

My lag on OSI was up and down. I rode a horse perfectly smooth (like on UOSA) plenty of times and other times someone on foot could catch me when I was mounted. Please don't change horse speed!

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I am mounted 24/7 and never feed the horse, and never get bucked off.

dito
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Alex the Artist

Post by Alex the Artist »

You've probably got enough, but ya, never feed, never bucked off.

HardActToFollow

Post by HardActToFollow »

i have had my same horse for a month and have not fed him a drop, he is such a good horse! Even when I dismount him on accident i can jump back on him no problem. Maybe when you logout the horse gets happy again i dont know but I do know I macroed for 2 days straight on a horse.