Now that the population is low... (Derrick, pls chime in)

Topics related to Second Age
Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Now that the population is low... (Derrick, pls chime in)

Post by Kabal »

Can we have automated events back please? I'm sorry but if you are anti-events, you are the problem. Facebook is not going to bring us more players to a near 20 year old game. At this point, I think it's safe to say that events can only increase population as we can't really get much lower.

Last edited by Kabal on Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Now that the population is close to zero . . .

Post by Roser »

Derrick gave the green light for the tournament and ranking system to be re-installed, although he does not have the time to do it himself. It is up to Anarcho to get this done, unfortunately he also does not have much time to do this.

The Admin's here are currently in a perpetual state of AFK for the most part.

Perhaps a day will come when UOSA will become a focus for them again... Until then, we wait.

Jay

Post by Jay »

1.boomwebsite
2.BEB (automated with rankings, in some form)
3. marketing/newsletter

riant
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by riant »

I'm sure I'm not the only who checks in every few weeks or months to see if events are back. I was more into Survival and CTF, but any automated event will clearly have a huge impact at this point.
Pepin
Alfred
Witchfoot
Lilly B

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

Heh Heh. Good one WAP. I would counter that there is a reason the "bring back automated events" threads keep getting bumped. Some people need to hear it for the 501th time before they act.

I know I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for it. I know I'm not alone. The question is "are there enough people on the sidelines waiting for it to make a difference?" There's only one way to be sure...
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

It's not beating a dead horse at all... The horse got the OK (An Corp) from the boss to live again.

So the issue is no longer to convince staff that we should have them, it is now to convince staff to do a little bit of coding.
[10:06] <Roser> hey I wanted to ask you about refurbishing that old ranking system on UOSA
[10:07] <Roser> I brought it up with anarcho, he told me to talk to you about it
[10:07] <Roser> being that some of the framework is still there
[10:07] <Roser> you think it would be plausable to set it up the way boom does bagball?
[10:08] <Roser> if anarcho is into workin on it
[10:08] <Roser> I know the old system got to be quite contoversial lol...
[10:08] <Derrick> I'd love to look at it, but man, i just don't know when I can
[10:09] <Derrick> i love Second Age, and I'll keep it up forever, any maybe someday i'll have more time
[10:09] <Roser> I think the server has been updated to a newer version of runuo since then
[10:09] <Derrick> But for now, i just can't do any serious work on it
[10:09] <Roser> everyone misses the ole Derrick
[10:09] <Roser> hehe
[10:10] <Roser> never has their been an admin with such integrity!
[10:10] <Derrick> ha, thanks man :)
[10:10] <Derrick> I love what's been done
[10:10] <Derrick> Lotta years of all day every day work
[10:10] <Roser> yah, its a great place
[10:11] <Roser> population is gettin a bit small, but boomlands doing good things to keep people interested
[10:11] <Roser> I try to keep the jerks in their place as much as possible
[10:12] <Roser> killin greifers is my game
[10:12] <Roser> haha
[10:12] <Derrick> I appretiate it man. There's a lot of great players that make it still possible too
[10:13] <Roser> If its possible for Anarcho to work on that old system, would you be ok with it?
[10:14] <Roser> not sure if he really has the time, but he sort of gave me a thumbs up about it
[10:14] <Roser> sort of an ask derrick and go from there
[10:14] <Derrick> Yeah man, I'd definately support that; I fear though he's being more optomistic about his time than is realistic
[10:14] <Derrick> but yes! :)
As much as I like to keep PM's "P" - I figured this one should be shared, as it means so much to a lot of people.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

How long would it take to code events back in? How about we set up a GoFundMe page to pay Anarcho a reasonable amount of money to do it. $20 an hour should suffice. I got 5 on it, who's with me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSC9cgvtkRs

Coholic

Post by Coholic »

pay someone $20 an hour to code in an event system?

Do you realize that mcdonalds pays their employees $13.00 an hour?

Surely we can do better than $20
Kabal wrote:How long would it take to code events back in? How about we set up a GoFundMe page to pay Anarcho a reasonable amount of money to do it. $20 an hour should suffice. I got 5 on it, who's with me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSC9cgvtkRs

Coholic

Post by Coholic »

If people pay $500 for l33t neon sandles, I think we can give Anarcho much more =]

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Coholic wrote:If people pay $500 for l33t neon sandles, I think we can give Anarcho much more =]
Buying items for real life money is against the rules. How badly this rule was broken is completely irrelevant here. If half of the remaining players pitch in $5 each, that should be around

$150. Considering staff has already done everything they've done for free, and I'd assume would generally like to see the shard flourish, I'd say that should be enough, albeit I don't

know how long it would take to code events back in.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I know that it's been some time since the posts were made, but I think that we should probably keep any serious ideas about buying the features and mechanics we want off of the forums, and to ourselves. What is or isn't on the server isn't for sale to the highest bidder(s).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Anarcho
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Anarcho »

Kaivan wrote:I know that it's been some time since the posts were made, but I think that we should probably keep any serious ideas about buying the features and mechanics we want off of the forums, and to ourselves. What is or isn't on the server isn't for sale to the highest bidder(s).
To add to this, Derrick has not changed his position on events whatsoever (as I personally clarified with him after reading this IRC snippet) and it's lacking some serious context and/or understanding on Rose's part.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

The reality is Derrick knows exactly what I was talking about, and that snip is part of a larger conversation that has more detailed talk about the subject of the old tournament and ranking system.

Being that Anarcho has talked to him and he shared a different opinion on the subject makes me feel like he was just being nice when I was pushing for his opinion. I can understand that, some people speak a language of people pleasing when it comes to touchy subjects.

Often is the case when we (as people) pour our hearts and souls into a project, then later find that our time and focus is drifting elsewhere, it becomes hard to give that project up - or to let others continue the work, especially without our direct supervision. We tend to feel more comfortable putting these sorts of things into pause mode despite the negative ramifications of doing so. This is where I believe UOSA rests at the moment, in a grey area of the creative world called "pause mode" where not much is happening and many things grow stale.

When I strike up these conversation's with the heads of UOSA, I am doing it with my best intentions. I am trying to revitalize interest, spark memory, and appease the wizards who still play here. My Ultima Online experience lives and dies with UOSA and I don't want it to end yet, so I am going to stubbornly continue to do whatever I can to elongate this experience.

I realize some people laugh at my attempts and consider them futile... They can choke on my grand wizards staff, because I'm gonna do it anyway.

Zim

Post by Zim »

Part of T2A was the mass amount of population...

I played in the rares/vendor market a lot.

No point in running vendors without population...
No real rares market without population...
No more random people to steal from...

I've been off and on T2A since the beginning, had numerous sweet spots, and vendors. Stop refreshing 2 years ago, but I check back often.

I was a fan of the events (Who wasn't), yes it wasn't T2A, but it brought people on, we had hot hours where I could play T2A like it was a real server with actual people.

I could shout what I was selling, and actually find buyers.

It'd be great to have them back, just to see if it does bring back people, give them a reason to logon daily, and frequently.

The goal was reached, but to keep the dream alive, we need people in the dream.

And ultimately for us users, that dream needs those people.

Thanks for An Corping this dead horse.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Now that the population is low . . . (Derrick, chime in

Post by Kabal »

Anarcho wrote:
Kaivan wrote:I know that it's been some time since the posts were made, but I think that we should probably keep any serious ideas about buying the features and mechanics we want off of the forums, and to ourselves. What is or isn't on the server isn't for sale to the highest bidder(s).
To add to this, Derrick has not changed his position on events whatsoever (as I personally clarified with him after reading this IRC snippet) and it's lacking some serious context and/or understanding on Rose's part.
A) We're not buying features. We are simply reimbursing a GM for time spent doing work.

B) This thread is meant as a communication and petition to Derrick. I understand you believe Derrick is against events but I have personally never seen an opinion from him about it,

and I don't think anyone knows his official stance.