Lockpicking 95-GM

Topics related to Second Age
Ahbuddy

Lockpicking 95-GM

Post by Ahbuddy »

Any suggestions for getting last 5 points in lockpicking to GM without using hiding or stealth?
I have 3 accounts with a bard almost completed, 7x gm mage, and 7x gm archer to assist with three computer boxing the lockpicker, who atm only has 100 cartography, 94.9 lockpicking, and 50 magery.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Lockpicking 95-GM

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

mark runes to all the high lvl chests that don't move at all. Pick them and don't loot.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I don't use hiding or stealth on my lockpicker, instead I use Peacemaking. Not sure if that's viable for your build but I can confirm it works very well.

Alternatively you can do what Drunkn said and add in "recall hiding" from your home, which you don't need any skill in hiding to do. Although I would be looting them chests as lockpicking is the single best source for reflect/teleport/invis etc charges.

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Using hiding/stealth to get to GM will also yield close to 400k.
You could always drop those skills later. You're also looking at close
to 2k attempts.

Personally that is too much gold with very little risk in this game
to walk away from after picking it.

Even if you just looted the gold, not messing with the loot, you'd be in the 350k range.

To each his own though
Good luck
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

I did hiding/stealth on my lockpicker because I used an alt to gate my picker in, stealth to the chests and unlock and loot them then gate them out and sort the loot with a macro. Once I GMed lockpicking, I dropped stealth for magery and med (current setup is 7x GM Magery/Meditation/Musicianship/Provocation/Cartography/Lockpicking/Hiding.) Hiding is just my preference as the 7th skill, a lot of people use Resisting Spells or Wrestling.
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Rose wrote:Alternatively you can do what Drunkn said and add in "recall hiding" from your home, which you don't need any skill in hiding to do. Although I would be looting them chests as lockpicking is the single best source for reflect/teleport/invis etc charges.
For anyone who is content to not loot the chests (or to send an alt in to perform the looting), this would work just fine*; otherwise, "recall hiding" is a technique I employ to guard against a certain Poison Elemental, whom I do not like, who likes to 'loiter about' in the vicinity of a dungeon chest that I do like ...

*Caveat: you would need your rune to be marked, specifically, to the tile immediately adjacent to the chest ...

To Ahbuddy,

My Treasure Hunter possesses minimal Hiding and (of course) no Stealth whatsoever: there exist ample Lvl4 dungeon chests where the spawn is minimal/nonexistent/can-be-managed-with-wit-alone.

Mind, I suppose a lot depends on the rest of the character template: you have cited 50 Magery, which I find odd, as it is a value that lies outside of the useful benchmarks; 35ish Real "guarantees" scroll-Circle4, with good success on casting-Circle3 & scroll-Circle5; 72 Real "guarantees" casting-Circle4 & scroll-Circle6, and gets you into Wind; 91-point-something "guarantees" casting-Circle6 & scroll-Circle8. I do appreciate that "50 Magery" might be only the current, and temporary, value; otherwise, I have little information about your lockpicker's overall intended template ...

tl;dr: you don't need Stealth, or even Hiding.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

You can move around while attempting to pick a lock; just don't move out of lockpick range. Kite mobs around the box, peacemake them, or paralyze them. These are likely your only viable options. I highly recommend hiding though.
^

Narcissic

Post by Narcissic »

Orion GM B^D wrote:Using hiding/stealth to get to GM will also yield close to 400k.
Taking items into consideration, the amount of gold you can earn can range wildly in the millions. Reflect and tele charges have been known to sell well in the past and charged halberds, especially those with high tactics and damage modifiers, can make you thousands to millions.
Derrick wrote: It is not our policy to comment on account actions which are taken against players.

An exception should be made in order to counter dishonesty.
Cavewights accounts were banned for accepting in-game goods for the promise of money.

Ahbuddy

Post by Ahbuddy »

Do you become unhidden/unstealthed if you try to disarm the picked treasure chest tho? with spell or skill?
Do you become unhidden/unstealthed if you try to remove anything from the treasure chest?
Even with peacemakeing, don't some mobs aggro you instantly after anyways?
Are you training the mobs away with another toon or killing them to get the loot?
ATM recall househide is working for fixed chests without opening chests, again the goal here is to get GM picking.
But i see you point about all the loot left behind, I like options :)

ReptilianLover

Post by ReptilianLover »

Rose wrote:Alternatively you can do what Drunkn said and add in "recall hiding" from your home, which you don't need any skill in hiding to do.
Please explain "recall hiding" to me. Exactly how do you do this?

I use hising/stealth btw. With stealth you can easily walk one step backwards without revealing yourself and pop the chest with no damage.

ultra
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ultra »

Last edited by ultra on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultra
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ultra »

ReptilianLover wrote:
Rose wrote:Alternatively you can do what Drunkn said and add in "recall hiding" from your home, which you don't need any skill in hiding to do.
Please explain "recall hiding" to me. Exactly how do you do this?
No.
Rose wrote:I don't use hiding or stealth on my lockpicker, instead I use Peacemaking. Not sure if that's viable for your build but I can confirm it works very well..
Well, I know who your toon is now.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Recall hiding is when you use the hiding skill moments before the recall goes off.

An easy way to do it is to que a recall -or use a runebook- and mash the hide key after u cast the spell.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Ahbuddy wrote:Do you become unhidden/unstealthed if you try to disarm the picked treasure chest tho? with spell or skill?
So far as my understanding runs, using the Remove Trap skill will not reveal you, even on skill-failure, but any casting of any spell definitely will: I do not use Remove Trap (best combined with Hiding and Stealth), as I find Magery both more-economical and more-utilitarian; if Remove Trap does (at least sometimes) reveal you, I think that that should merit a bug/EA report, as I believe all sources declare that it should not violate Hiding/Stealth; thus, Detect Hidden (which one already might have, anyways, as it eases the lock) + Remove Trap + Lockpicking + Hiding + Stealth should comprise a viable skill-complex.
Ahbuddy wrote:Do you become unhidden/unstealthed if you try to remove anything from the treasure chest?
With dungeon chests, no: once the trap is dealt-with, feel free to Hide/Invis and loot away!
Ahbuddy wrote:Even with peacemakeing, don't some mobs aggro you instantly after anyways?
Well, it isn't instant so, to the extent that this occurs, the player likely possesses options: I am sure that Rose could speak more-knowledgably on this issue; at least theoretically, spamming Peacemaking might permit you to keep mobs (functionally) 'mezzed' long enough to empty the chest(s) ...
Ahbuddy wrote:Are you training the mobs away with another toon or killing them to get the loot?
Whatever floats your boat ... that PE, that I mentioned I don't like, is a critter that I frequently drag-off to a harmless corner of the dungeon, before returning to deal with the chest.
Ahbuddy wrote:ATM recall househide is working for fixed chests without opening chests, again the goal here is to get GM picking.
But i see you point about all the loot left behind, I like options :)
You might look at some of the PvM templates that I have assembled under my Guildpage (you need to be logged-in to view; a hold-out from the old guildpage-system that I have not asked to be changed, nor intend to ask), particularly,

Rogue, Burglar et al., Dastard, and

Lark et al.;

for anyone wishing to forego Cartography (& "maybe" Mining) and/or Snooping & Stealing, there are a number of ways in which 60 Detect Hidden + GM Lockpicking could be swapped-in on any of the 'hybrid-crafter' templates; at player's discretion, Detect Hidden can be dropped in favour of other skill(s), after Lockpicking is GMed (or even dropped altogether, if there's no wish to tackle lvl5 surface chests); if one wanted GM Remove Trap, however, one would also want GM Detect Hidden.

I think you have a fair number of options.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Ahbuddy

Post by Ahbuddy »

Looking into stats, was considering max DEX due to stealth check when moving around monsters.
Does INT also get checked when moving while stealthed?
Final build is on 3rd computer screen for cartography/gating/picking/looting Tmap chests.
Bard/Mage & Pure Mage ( plan on replacing with Tamer someday ) will be on other two screens to back up when doing T4/T5 Treasure chests.
Will two box dungeon chests with mage only doing gate (gate ghost back and rez if needed ), hide/stealth/go thru mage's gate/pick/stealth one step away/open/loot/recall.
Was considering 75 STR 100 Dex 50 INT unless there is a INT check for stealth, then might lower STR.
Final skills GM Cartography Hiding Lockpicking Magery Meditation Stealth Wrestling