Boom, headshot

Topics related to Second Age
Treysta

Boom, headshot

Post by Treysta »

^click to view on youtube (embed isnt working)
^

Blade Spirit

Re: Boom, headshot

Post by Blade Spirit »

And they say Aos was age of items :D

T2A was indeed age of items too!

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Blade Spirit wrote:And they say Aos was age of items :D

T2A is totally item based PvP. You don't need them to win, but they heavily impact the results. See: buff items, teleport items, invisibility items, reflect items, poisoned magic blades, potions. UOR came about and phased out several magic items, pushing PvP back into Skill (human+character) based PvP, less "item factors" - but later in UO's life, this changed again. I could never understand the argument that some make that say UOR and onward is what started item based PVP.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

Yeah, seriously. You can equip some invis/reflect/tp items on this shard and become essentially invincible in contrast with a scenario where neither party used any of these items. PvP here is largely consensual with those types of items factored in.
^

Blade Spirit

Post by Blade Spirit »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:

T2A is totally item based PvP. You don't need them to win, but they heavily impact the results. See: buff items, teleport items, invisibility items, reflect items, poisoned magic blades, potions. UOR came about and phased out several magic items, pushing PvP back into Skill (human+character) based PvP, less "item factors" - but later in UO's life, this changed again. I could never understand the argument that some make that say UOR and onward is what started item based PVP.
What items were phased out by UOR?
I remember all items you listed disappeared in during AoS. Am I wrong?

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Blade Spirit wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:

What items were phased out by UOR?
I remember all items you listed disappeared in during AoS. Am I wrong?
During UOR, reflect, tele, and invis items because more and more uncommon if I remember right.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Blade Spirit

Post by Blade Spirit »

Hm, I clearly remember to have a stock of them going into AoS. And during AoS they ceased to span anymore.
But maybe, problem is that, back in time, the system was much less exploited.
It was less powergaming than nowadays. It was about playing/fighting and collecting items/skill by playing by 99% of the people.
Now is all about getting it all set up before, then going batteling.
I remember pvpiing with 90 magery or 90 swords with no problem at all!
Unthinkable now! So maybe it was only a perception back then, where items were around but exploited not by many people. And in a less powergaming way anyway!

skynyrd2

Post by skynyrd2 »

Although these items were available in the t2a era people hardly used them due to financial reasons/scarce supply/lack of knowledge. Even some of the top tier pvpers didn't really Carry more than 50 of each reg 5-6 potions. This server is no way a representation of how Pvp was item wise in the t2a era. No one had the financial means to do so. Although I do at times enjoy the items as they can add some flavor.

Although these items like this were available people didn't consider UO Pvp item based at all. In fact one of the many things Pvp enthusiast claim was so great about ultima online Pvp was the skill vs skill aspect of Pvp. Which in turn soon died out with gear based games such as wow . The game was and still is considered great because it was truly player vs player we both have the same skills , gear , now let's go at it. The majority of factors in which separated people were connection/Gm resist/and ability to use uo assist.

I think the game def could have been item based but 99% of people did not view it in that way or use those items. In fact every t2a server I have played when you meet a tank Mage 1v1 in the field you don't use anything other than your red pots or you are immediately scorn. Not to say either way is better and everyone likes hitting someone with a thunder hally.

Point being is the skill vs skill aspect of uo is what pvpers remember and love about UO along side the open world Pvp etc. Although uosa has it's own flavor and interesting nature I don't believe it's what most people will remember Pvp being like(aside from a few who had blessed vanqs)

Blade Spirit

Post by Blade Spirit »

skynyrd2 wrote:Although these items were available in the t2a era people hardly used them due to financial reasons/scarce supply/lack of knowledge. Even some of the top tier pvpers didn't really Carry more than 50 of each reg 5-6 potions. This server is no way a representation of how Pvp was item wise in the t2a era. No one had the financial means to do so. Although I do at times enjoy the items as they can add some flavor.

Although these items like this were available people didn't consider UO Pvp item based at all. In fact one of the many things Pvp enthusiast claim was so great about ultima online Pvp was the skill vs skill aspect of Pvp. Which in turn soon died out with gear based games such as wow . The game was and still is considered great because it was truly player vs player we both have the same skills , gear , now let's go at it. The majority of factors in which separated people were connection/Gm resist/and ability to use uo assist.

I think the game def could have been item based but 99% of people did not view it in that way or use those items. In fact every t2a server I have played when you meet a tank Mage 1v1 in the field you don't use anything other than your red pots or you are immediately scorn. Not to say either way is better and everyone likes hitting someone with a thunder hally.

Point being is the skill vs skill aspect of uo is what pvpers remember and love about UO along side the open world Pvp etc. Although uosa has it's own flavor and interesting nature I don't believe it's what most people will remember Pvp being like(aside from a few who had blessed vanqs)

Quote for teh truth! :D

Kasper_Valentine

Post by Kasper_Valentine »

I completely agree regarding the lack of knowledge or supply element back in the day. My thief on Europa had Fencing and Tactics and always carried a deadly poisoned GM kryss during this era. I remember a particular encounter where I'd followed two players through a gate to a house. One of them immediately said "stupid thief" but didn't engage. I got upset. I stabbed him, I stabbed his friend and I stabbed the nightmare the former decided to frantically set upon me.

They all died.

I wouldn't dream of trying such a strategy on this server unless I was 100% certain the victims had no idea what they were doing. An eventuality which is sadly very unlikely.

All the same...

I absolutely love it here, whether rife with powergaming or not.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I don't always kills people with good weapons, but when I do they're standing still and not protecting themselves.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Needless to say, the potency of magical gear is one reason many of us enjoy dueling so much. Cutting down to barebones equipment and battling it out on 100% equal footing is very enjoyable... Not to mention good practice overall.

However, I also enjoy fighting geared out folks... It's quite a different kind of fight. It also allows those of lesser ability to enjoy some victories. Use magic items if you got em...
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Capitalist wrote:I don't always kills people with good weapons, but when I do they're standing still and not protecting themselves.
QFT
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Abyz wrote:
Capitalist wrote:I don't always kills people with good weapons, but when I do they're standing still and not protecting themselves.
QFT
QFT
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

One reason why players likely equip far more high end magical gear on UOSA is that during T2A, the gear was far rarer to acquire. In the past, I've found that new indestructible +25 vanquishing weapons of some relevant weapon type tend to show up for sale on the forums quite often. If we consider that during T2A literally only one in a million of all magical pieces of weapon/armor dropped (from sources that can even drop items of that intensity) had that intensity, and we add in how many of them are generally considered useless to PvP, it's no surprise that the frequency with which they show up on UOSA is out of line with what can be reasonably expected. Compound this over a very long period of time, and combine it with better player knowledge and far more powerful macroing programs for dress/undress macros, and it's no surprise that UOSA behaves differently than the actual T2A era.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org