Enticement - Missing anythign by not taking it?

Topics related to Second Age
elsydeon

Enticement - Missing anythign by not taking it?

Post by elsydeon »

Provo and Peace seem useful, but I was having a hard time seeing a use in enticement. Even if it were an additional form of crowd control it seems like a pretty limited one. Just wondering if I'm missing a key ability by not training it.

Currently GM music, provocation, peacemaking, soon to be animal lore, then to work on taming and veterinary.

TI_Smithy

Re: Enticement - Missing anythign by not taking it?

Post by TI_Smithy »

Enticement was so shitty it was replaced with discordance on production servers.

elsydeon

Post by elsydeon »

I thought as much. It didn't seem all that valuable in text, but I thought maybe mileage varied.

What about the other two? I know Provocation is gold, how useful is peacemaking? I know what it does but it's hard to determine how long it actually keeps the peace in combat.

Basically going tamer bard, probably splashing magery with hiding for that farming goodness. It seems like the best first character to make in terms of gearing up and gaining cash. Since crafting will be weak given the small player base.

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

Peacemaking will break aggro of everything on the screen but most creatures will return to aggro quickly. Its a useless skill to 99.999% of the bards on this server. The biggest hindrance is the 10 second delay.

elsydeon

Post by elsydeon »

Hmm... well, given how quick it went to GM that's actually good news. It frees up another skill slot for something better. I might be able to cram full magery in there by the end of this.

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

Peacemaking is fine if you aren't maxed out already or are a new or laggy player. If you're looking to truly optimize your character's 700, there's no room for it though.

I run this template on my bard, even though I haven't used him for PvE in a long time:

Bard Skills:
100 Provocation
100 Music

Treasure Hunter Skills:
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking

Magic Skills:
100 Magery
100 Meditation

Utility Skills:
100 Hiding

Provocation and Music allow you to have absolute control over enemy monsters. You can use these two skills alone to farm. Cartography and Lockpicking allow you to do treasure maps for extra gold. Magery and meditation provide you with a reliable method of healing, transportation, and way of finishing off monsters. Hiding is just a preference, sometimes I like to go AFK at random points. It's also useful with cartography because you can hide immediately after digging up the chest to organize things, although you can also invisibility yourself or use jewelry charges. Hiding is just a preference of mine.

More streamlined bards (those who don't want to do tmapping on the same character) will probably opt for Evaluating Intelligence and something else in those slots for more finishing power.
^

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

Enticement is a great skill with many applications. One of my favorites is watching someone boohoo when their flock of frenzies are gated/enticed to Fire Temple and destroyed. Plenty of applications where it is useful - be creative. :D

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

nubnub wrote:Enticement is a great skill with many applications. One of my favorites is watching someone boohoo when their flock of frenzies are gated/enticed to Fire Temple and destroyed. Plenty of applications where it is useful - be creative. :D

You're welcome.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Fagabeefe

Post by Fagabeefe »

It's great for stealing pets and killing townie npcs for sandals and fancy clothes. It's worth having on at least 1 toon.

elsydeon

Post by elsydeon »

Haha, it sounds like 90% of the value in the skill is in trolling. I'm not really interested in doing that. I like that UO is cut throat, always have, and I may yet make a monster of sorts. But I doubt I'd ever go scamming or stealing pets. I prefer my crime honorable, sirs.

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

Follow-up in a year or so with your position - if you make it that long.

elsydeon

Post by elsydeon »

Lol. I might make a red, I might make a thief, but I don't see much joy in what you're talking about. Why criticize my kind of fun?

Anyway, I played plenty of UO back in the day with that mindset and I lasted just fine. And that was as a kid, where I was more prone to be a jerk. :P I can't say I'll stick around, it's an old game. Hard to know if it will be able to keep my attention over newer offerings. But right now I'm interested in playing. Given it's a dying game maybe best not to try and run me off or convince me the server is flooded with con artists? Lol. Especially if you are one. It'd make your life easier.

azheman
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by azheman »

best skill ever

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

elsydeon wrote:Lol. I might make a red, I might make a thief, but I don't see much joy in what you're talking about. Why criticize my kind of fun?

Anyway, I played plenty of UO back in the day with that mindset and I lasted just fine. And that was as a kid, where I was more prone to be a jerk. :P I can't say I'll stick around, it's an old game. Hard to know if it will be able to keep my attention over newer offerings. But right now I'm interested in playing. Given it's a dying game maybe best not to try and run me off or convince me the server is flooded with con artists? Lol. Especially if you are one. It'd make your life easier.
I haven't seen any suggestions of scamming or con artistry from the above post. Perhaps my definition differs?
Sure, it's original application was probably for mainly herding/taming or something. But back on LS enticing was a mainstay for many griefers and strategist alike.

Games been dead btw. But our server lives on! This is a result of a solid foundation not to stray too far into trammelization. That foundation harbors a fun and challenging enviroment with freedom to play however you want!

So you may decide sometime in the future to pay for a form of entertainment that tells you how to enjoy it. (Lord knows i have) But we will be here waiting for you. Your character and bank box will never get deleted by staff. :wink:
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

elsydeon wrote:Given it's a dying game maybe best not to try and run me off or convince me the server is flooded with con artists? Lol. Especially if you are one. It'd make your life easier.
I'm so, so, sorry. We have affluent people here that are alarmingly dedicated to doing that very thing. It's a bit of a filter, really. Those who can't handle it leave quickly (and not so quietly), and those who can handle it become proficient at tuning it out.

That being said, not everybody here is out to get you. Let me know if you ever need help with anything--just drop me a PM here or on IRC. I'll be glad to assist you establishing yourself here in any way I can.
^