Connection issues - please help

Topics related to Second Age
Mulahey

Connection issues - please help

Post by Mulahey »

*SOLVED*

Hi everyone!

Im having issues when connecting. Im currently without my own laptop so Im trying to install on another. I have downloaded the install package from uosa website. Install goes ok (I skip ventrillo and older UOAM). When I open razor it goes to login, I enter my login details without problems, get past verifying and then we have the usual two options - Secondage and UO tutorial. The problem is whatever I click on at this point (that strangely includes the Quit button in the upper right part of the screen as well!), the client freezes. The freeze lasts exactly 3 minutes (I can see that in razor under "help & status") and then the client goes back to asking for login details. I have so far tried the following to no avail:

1. Re-installed .NET framework 4 and 4.5.1

2. Disabled windows firewall

3. Disabled Antivirus software

4. Tried to install the client and razor to different than default location, even to different drives

5. Tried to install different razor versions (1.0.12, then 1.0.13 and finally 1.0.13.4)

6. See 5. in combination with the reg file that makes razor not check for updates to stay with freshly installed version

7. Tried to direct razor to UO data directory instead of leaving it on auto detect on razor welcome screen

8. When running client.exe manually, it says "there is some problem communicating with origin. Please restart UO and try again"

9. When running client_noenc.exe manually, I can get in the game, BUT only after waiting full 3 minutes from entering login details which is agonizing, plus no razor to macro etc.

10. Pinging uosecondage.com gives average ping of around 170ms (I know, I know, but hey I suck at PVP!)

My client version is 5.0.8.3 (patch 204) and it goes without saying that I run razor with admin rights, in XP SP3 compatibility mode and desktop composition and visual motives disabled. Also, I do connect to login.uosecondage.com on port 2593 (razor welcome screen). After every uninstallation I have ran ccleaner, regcleaner and also deleted all UO and razor related files and directories manually (including in appdata and install folders) and restarted computer.

It is so much more frustrating when I know I have played some time ago on this very laptop and Im kinda out of options it seems. Could anyone advise on what version of client and razor should I run? I guess I could play without razor until I get home to my laptop and get the feel of the old days when there was no razor, just mouse clicking, but I have not yet tried if the game is playable at all.

Thanks!
Last edited by Mulahey on Thu May 01, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Werther: "Better die logged in than to never have logged in."

Bixby Legbone

Re: Connection issues - please help

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Mulahey wrote:Hi everyone!

Im having issues when connecting. Im currently without my own laptop so Im trying to install on another. I have downloaded the install package from uosa website. Install goes ok (I skip ventrillo and older UOAM). When I open razor it goes to login, I enter my login details without problems, get past verifying and then we have the usual two options - Secondage and UO tutorial. The problem is whatever I click on at this point (that strangely includes the Quit button in the upper right part of the screen as well!), the client freezes. The freeze lasts exactly 3 minutes (I can see that in razor under "help & status") and then the client goes back to asking for login details. I have so far tried the following to no avail:

1. Re-installed .NET framework 4 and 4.5.1

2. Disabled windows firewall

3. Disabled Antivirus software

4. Tried to install the client and razor to different than default location, even to different drives

5. Tried to install different razor versions (1.0.12, then 1.0.13 and finally 1.0.13.4)

6. See 5. in combination with the reg file that makes razor not check for updates to stay with freshly installed version

7. Tried to direct razor to UO data directory instead of leaving it on auto detect on razor welcome screen

8. When running client.exe manually, it says "there is some problem communicating with origin. Please restart UO and try again"

9. When running client_noenc.exe manually, I can get in the game, BUT only after waiting full 3 minutes from entering login details which is agonizing, plus no razor to macro etc.

10. Pinging uosecondage.com gives average ping of around 170ms (I know, I know, but hey I suck at PVP!)

My client version is 5.0.8.3 (patch 204) and it goes without saying that I run razor with admin rights, in XP SP3 compatibility mode and desktop composition and visual motives disabled. Also, I do connect to login.uosecondage.com on port 2593 (razor welcome screen). After every uninstallation I have ran ccleaner, regcleaner and also deleted all UO and razor related files and directories manually (including in appdata and install folders) and restarted computer.

It is so much more frustrating when I know I have played some time ago on this very laptop and Im kinda out of options it seems. Could anyone advise on what version of client and razor should I run? I guess I could play without razor until I get home to my laptop and get the feel of the old days when there was no razor, just mouse clicking, but I have not yet tried if the game is playable at all.

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I'll take a stab at something and see if helps or at least guides us.

This is what my razor welcome screen looks like. Could it be you are trying to use 3d client, or connecting via OSI encryption?

It also appears you are using the same client version I am and it works fine for me.

However, I do notice a difference between my razor version and yours. I'm up to razor version 1.4.0.0 ; I went through some razor updates before I learned to set my computer to stop checking for razor updates.

However, perhaps your issue is not with razor but something within your uo files. I know if I try to login too quickly, between the account information/password screen > shard list > character selection... if I hit enter too fast between those screens my client will always freeze and I have to close it and reload it. So, I wait at least a second pause between moving through those login screens to prevent that issue. Unless you are zooming past those screens too fast 100% of the time which is causing your freeze.. this might not be your issue either.

Hope you might find something in my comments or screenshots that will help guide you right.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Reset your router/modem and verify you don't have any additional firewall settings there.

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

Bixby: thanks for the info, I will try to update razor further but Im pretty sure it updated once and gave me 404 error when I tried to update again.

edit: my razor is setup just like yours, I have been very careful

Rammar: router problems are what Im thinking too, might be as well port forwarding or firewall issue. I will look into it.

thank you for your input, I will report back my findings.

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

I have just tried to:

11. reset router
12. open port 2593 both TCP and UDP manually in router options
13. update razor manually to version 1.0.14 from UOG website. (razor from UOSA only auto updates to version 1.0.13.4)
14. completely uninstall .NET framework and re-install it again

Im out of ideas, the result is the same = 3 minute freeze after verification and client going back to asking for login details. I must be missing something obvious. I still think it has something to do with router/firewall.

I do not want to give up!

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

ok, I have just downloaded PF port checker and it is unable to ping me, not determine my IP and not been able to reach certain website (all red flags). So my problem definitely lies in router settings. Im currently in Canary Islands, specifically Gran Canaria and I have a strange (but new) Spanish router from telefonica (O2). Which ports do I have to forward for UO to function again? Is it only 2593 TCP and UDP? Or any others and/or range of ports? thanks!

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

Ok, so I have downloaded a program called ultima online trace utility, entered uosecondage.com and here are the results. It seems the problem of me not being able to play UO is somewhat more complicated.

Demetrius

Post by Demetrius »

Do you have a wired connection or a wireless connection?
I had the same problem and as soon as I realized that it was trying to connect thru two different connections (wired and wireless) I turned off the wireless and viola problem solved!
Hope that helps.
"The secret to acting is to never let them catch you doing it"
-Marlon Brando

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

Demetrius wrote:Do you have a wired connection or a wireless connection?
I had the same problem and as soon as I realized that it was trying to connect thru two different connections (wired and wireless) I turned off the wireless and viola problem solved!
Hope that helps.
Nope, I only use wireless connection so the problem must be elsewhere.

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

I kindly ask for this thread to be locked now as I honestly think there is no solution to be found. I believe this is beyond anyone's ability. This old laptop's OS itself is probably effed up a lot and needs to be An Corp-ed in the near future in order to serve its master a bit more time until new laptop will emerge from the line of champions loyal to me. Alas, I hope there could be peace in my mind in tenday or so when I return home where my other old champion servant of a laptop (that has proven his allegiance to me and helped me get to Britannia many times before) eagerly awaits. So thank ye my lords and ladies for your kind words and attempts to help me get home!

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

Aehm, I today tried to logon using assistuo and I was able to play! Any thoughts? Thanks

EDIT: I have just uninstalled it as from what I just read it is not allowed to use it with UOSA. Someone please lock this thread now. Thank you!

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

For future generations having similar issues, I have finally found a solution to this problem. It was on my end for sure and has nothing to do with software or UO/ razor itself.

It seems way back there had been an antivirus named Avast installed on this laptop. So in control panel under Network and internet / network connections, right clicked my current wifi connection, properties and there was my problem right there in that list. Went by the name of "avast firewall miniport". Seems all traffic went through this and it did not like UO one bit. Once I got rid of it, I could connect to UO WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS IN THE MATTER OF SECONDS. Cheers!