Tame Control

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Tame Control

Post by Taboo »

Drag control is reallllly ridiculus now. I can understand changing all kill, but this is a complete nerf. Basically you killed all kill and all guard me, and for what? PATROL? whaaaaa?????!

I highly suggest anyone just starting to NOT make a tamer. They are now only slightly not useless.

When I played back in t2a or any other era I don't ever remember having to spam A KILL 4-6 times to make it work, and having to shove meat in its mouth every min or two to keep it barely listening. I also don't remember it casting random breath weapons on aggressive mob that hasn't aggroed yet. Tamers are the hardest characters to make on UO, now it looks as if you are determined that they will be also the hardest to play once made. This is sheer bias. I don't care what publish you look at or old forum you quote from, it was never this hard to make your dragons to attack something. Why don't you just adopt control caps, you can't honestly believe that this is any more or less accurate.

The average chance to make your tame listen to your command is no where near accuracy.

BTW I also remember people naming all their tames one name to control the entire pack. I'm gonna go dig for info i guess, or just forget about this whole t2a thing. It's just that ridiculous.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Tame Control

Post by Fwerp »

The thing I care the most about is the delay between giving commands to different pets.

Right now, it's a full second, which is I think highly arbitrary, and entirely inaccurate. During t2a, I did not have a tamer, but I did spend a huge amount of time as a red in Buc's Den, where my best defense was summoned deamons. I had two macros, "a kill" and "b kill," and I was able to target them with virtually no delay, sicking both deamons on my adversary.

I think this needs to be modified ASAP. We are going for accuracy, and taking out all kill accomplished this. But, making a second delay between giving kill commands is grossly inaccurate, and nerfs tamers in a way that is unfair (it is hard to even hunt with them given this delay).

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Fwerp wrote:The thing I care the most about is the delay between giving commands to different pets.

Right now, it's a full second, which is I think highly arbitrary, and entirely inaccurate. During t2a, I did not have a tamer, but I did spend a huge amount of time as a red in Buc's Den, where my best defense was summoned deamons. I had two macros, "a kill" and "b kill," and I was able to target them with virtually no delay, sicking both deamons on my adversary.

I think this needs to be modified ASAP. We are going for accuracy, and taking out all kill accomplished this. But, making a second delay between giving kill commands is grossly inaccurate, and nerfs tamers in a way that is unfair (it is hard to even hunt with them given this delay).
This is an excellent point. This went in well before the changes to the targeted all command and this is the first time it's been mentioned. The reason for it going in we more of a security protection, as at that time it wasn't foreseen there would be any reason to spam commands faster than that. Clearly that has changed. I'll get this adjusted immediately.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Firebreathers should be attacking anything at random, not just un-aggroed mobs. So infact, that needs to be added in at some point.

My friend forgot to refresh my dragons during my vacation so I can't comment on the rest, however I tamed one today and was surprised that it attacked me at least 20 times while being fully fed on the way to the stable.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Wow, talk about prompt Derrick.

I'm used to screaming at a wall when I have a complaint about game mechanics on other shards. Woot, thanks.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Hemperor wrote:...however I tamed one today and was surprised that it attacked me at least 20 times while being fully fed on the way to the stable.
They are not going to forget they were fighting you as long as they can still see you. "stop" does nothing. If they are attacking you all you need to do is invis and tab out, just as the guides say.

This like other issues that have come up I belive are mostly issues of people not understanding pet control anymore with the changes. I implore everyone to read the threads duscussing the changes, and the guides referenced within if they want to fully understand what has changed.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The speech flood protection delay will be fixed tommorrow, but after reviewing the code I did confirm that this is a per cheature delay, meaning that it should not effect "a kill"; "b kill". Only "a follow"; "a kill"

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

When can we expect firebreathers to randomly attack all?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

I just want to have fun playing characters I worked very hard on. Not worry about UO history and game mechanics. I hate that something so important and obviously downgraded to Faux Pas, one of my favorite chars, is making it so not fun to take her out and about in UO anymore. Again, I just don't ever remember it being this hard to simply control tames.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Taboo wrote:Not worry about UO history and game mechanics.
The main goal of this shard is to strive for replicating the t2a era as it was. You will be having some major issues such as this if you can't live with that simple fact.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

um.

I like the t2a era, but you cant tell me you remember or have proof how every single thing was back then. In the process, things can get screwed up. BTW the point of any game is fun.. except russian roullette

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kaivan done some pretty extensive work on the taming changes. If you think they're incorrect do the research that is required to point the inaccuracies out. The research that I saw from Kaivan holds some pretty tough ground.

Senses

Post by Senses »

Not to derail the thread, but I think the point of russian roulette *is* to have fun.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Just here to point out a couple of quick things:
  • The "random attack" that firebreathers had was only when they were newly tamed. The solution that stopped them from randomly attacking was to take them across a server boundary. Since we don't have those kind of boundaries here, we really shouldn't even have the random attack for firebreathers active here, because if we had it working as it did on OSI, there would be absolutely no point to owning a firebreather whatsoever.
  • The control difficulty is something that was gauged off of the research that we had done. While I don't know the exact figures we have right now, the ballpark estimate that was given stated that a fully fed dragon being controlled by a GM tamer with GM animal lore only had about a 90% chance to listen. Given that set of circumstances as a best case scenario, I wouldn't be too terribly shocked if multiple failures for controlling higher end pets would occur, considering the fact that each failed command makes the next one even more difficult.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

nightmare

Post by nightmare »

I find it amazing that all the tamers on here dont remember having to beat the crap out of our head trying to get your tames to listen only the wining peeps that refuse to spend the hours opun hours to make one remeber this fact!!!!!! I honestly would have givebn up on amy tamer long long long ago if this was the case and I do beleive most if not all tamers would have as well!!!