bring em back

Topics related to Second Age
Brules

Re: bring em back

Post by Brules »

I never said out of spite. I said code over community.

Implementing the LOS code "because it is on the live servers" in spite of NO ONE being able to verify it was there in era is a prime example. The code being in now breaks the accuracy of in era where you were safe in towers/keeps etc vs what we have now. I lay that at Kaivans feet as he was the prime force behind it's implementation. You may have put the code in, but you did it on his behalf, not of your own volition.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Elk Eater wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Nothing has actually changed to reflect that
Couldn't it be that the decline could be in part that nothing has changed? Not directing this at you specifically, but the same time period over which things have declined has also been the greatest period of inactivity development-wise (code and otherwise) in the history of the server, no?

viewforum.php?f=7

We had 143 patches through 2011, and 10 from 2011 on. I'd considered it's because things are getting closer to accurate, but I think the case has been made in this and many other threads that there are still plenty of things incorrect that need to be fixed.

Just to reiterate, this isn't meant to be an attack on you Kaivan or staff or the staff's productivity as a whole, but I think that era accurate fix development and a companion system development spurs game activity, if not fixing out-of-map events.
In short, I personally agree with the assessment that at least some of the population decline is due to lack of any development, particularly with patches for mechanics. It creates the image of stagnation, and a shard without anyone at the helm. This perception is certainly part of the problem, and not entirely inaccurate either. I would love for us to put out a lot more patches, but I don't have access to the code base myself, nor is it easy for Anarcho to coordinate his schedule with mine. He's a busy guy, and no one can expect him or myself to commit more time that we're willing or able to commit.
Elk Eater wrote:Exceptions have been made in the past for egregious or repeat offenders. In this case Robb is skirting a trash talk restriction through a third (or Xth) account on the forums. I guess Kaivan could have banned all of Robbs accounts from the forums, but I bet he'd prefer this milder slap on the wrist.

Admins don't discuss player bans either, but when Cavewight came on the forums and lied about it Derrick posted the real reason for the bans.
Your assessment on why I did what I did is pretty much exactly what my intent was. Restricting a second account to trash talk only status likely does nothing except spawn a third account, and the restrictions seemed entirely ineffective at moving relevant comments back to the genuine account to begin with. So, I decided to take this intermediary step to alleviate the situation. I haven't even taken any actual action against that account, just issued the public statement revealing the link.

-----------
I'm going to quote the next 3 posts in a block and respond to them at the bottom. And then Brules, you are going to take a week off of posting to read my posts and ensure that you understand what I've said in them.
Brules wrote:Thanks Kaivan, but I know real #'s when I see them:

160....130.....same thing. They both SUCK.

People got tired of the nerfing and implementing game braking era accuracy here and just went to play on other shards. Go look at some of them and their numbers......we used to have 500-700 #s but as was pointed out, they have done nothing but nose dive since Derrick left and you took over.

Boom has it right, we need community mindedness over code accuracy.

If your goal is accuracy over community, this place is as good as dead and we are almost there.
Brules wrote:Hats off to Boom for T R Y I N G to save the shard, not doing everything he can to kill it via technicalities.

The reality of this entire situation is exactly like it was in era.

At that point and time, UO was a big huge SHIT sandwhich and everyone had to takes a bite and swallow.....it was so bad, it prompted the changes that came out with UO:R and Trammel etc. #'s were down, noobs couldn't get a leg up, certain players/play styles dominated everyone else (PK's owned everything outside Gzone) everywhere at all times. The only people enjoying it were the hardcore PK's and PVP'ers.

I honestly think UOSA is at this very same point. Accuracy achieved lol.....

So where is this shard going? Kaivans way and down the toilet via the guillotine of accuracy?

Or back up via Boom's way of community over code?
Brules wrote:I never said out of spite. I said code over community.

Implementing the LOS code "because it is on the live servers" in spite of NO ONE being able to verify it was there in era is a prime example. The code being in now breaks the accuracy of in era where you were safe in towers/keeps etc vs what we have now. I lay that at Kaivans feet as he was the prime force behind it's implementation. You may have put the code in, but you did it on his behalf, not of your own volition.
Your first post doesn't even reference the right poster. You're attributing a post made by Boomland to me.

Your second post makes some grand claim about the population of the OSI servers during 2000, but unfortunately that doesn't even comport with reality (click the link for Subscriptions: 150k to 1m to see the data). UO was increasing it's player base during the entirety of T2A, not falling into an abyss as you would have players believe.

Regarding your third post, I'm going to state something very clearly, and I want you and everyone else to read this very carefully. The LoS code was not implemented by me, nor was it pushed by me. The code was extracted from the demo core by Batlin, and implemented by Derrick in 2010, and I had no say in that task whatsoever. All that I did was verify that some of the properties of LoS were still the same on live OSI servers as they were on the demo, that's it. This is as clear as I can make this statement. It wasn't me who pushed, or implemented it, and I won't be blamed for a given person's perception due to it. I've stated this in the past, hell even in this thread, and its been ignored. This is the last time I'm going to say this.

Finally, I have a response to the point that has appeared explicitly or implicitly in each of your posts about the population dropping because of me. I'm going to say this as clearly as possible:

The population count started a distinct decline in February 2013. Derrick stepped away from the server in early 2014. Between the end of 2012 and now we've had a total of 5 patches, none of which include the "game breaking" mechanics you keep referencing. Therefore, it is not possible that I am responsible for the population decline, because no "over the top" changes happened during or just before that time; they happened long before then. Not only that, the population decline began while Derrick was still here, so you can't lay the blame at my feet for somehow causing a mass exodus of players because I "took over" when Derrick left, because players were leaving when Derrick was still here and active.

I'm not going to respond to any more posts in this thread for the time being. I tend to agree with what Anarcho has said regarding the productivity of this thread. If anyone wants to ask me some questions, you're more than free to PM me on the forums, or message me directly on IRC. I may not respond immediately, but if you leave something for me to actually respond to, I'll try to do so.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

brules r u still mad they nuked ur town?
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Didn't Lord Brit himself make an appearance on UOSA? Why didn't someone ask him questions about this crap then?
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Lord British is 100% pro automated events.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Fuckin shard is dead who cares.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

notoriousbig

Post by notoriousbig »

bring em back aka 35 pages of we need dis shit now or forever be cursed with a low pop server

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

notoriousbig wrote:bring em back aka 35 pages of we need dis shit now or forever be cursed with a low pop server
I would still kill you 44-0 regardless of events, who cares?
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

notoriousbig

Post by notoriousbig »

Capitalist wrote:
notoriousbig wrote:bring em back aka 35 pages of we need dis shit now or forever be cursed with a low pop server
only thing ive seen you kill is a pack of twinkies

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Shots fired

Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

:shock:
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

notoriousbig wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
only thing ive seen you kill is a pack of twinkies
Good to know that you're still bad at everything. How's Starbucks these days?
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

notoriousbig

Post by notoriousbig »

beb

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

We have auto events now you chump.

notoriousbig

Post by notoriousbig »

i dont see no auto events wheres the stats

where is the fun