Welp, I gave it 6 years...

Topics related to Second Age
Onslaught-

Welp, I gave it 6 years...

Post by Onslaught- »

..and i'm still here.

If you guys spent half as much time being positive, helping new players, and/or promoting the server, you might have nothing else to complain about. The forum and IRC negativity is honestly the worst it has ever been in the 6 years that I've been here. The server isn't going anywhere so for the love of Derrick, stop your crying.

Most of the veterans who still play this server were playing in 2007 when less than 30 people were online during prime time, yet we still logged in and had fun. Some of you people are relentlessly complaining and "logging off" in protest (like that is going to accomplish anything) because there are less than 700 people logging in at all hours of the day. Do you think this is how the server got to a 700+ client peak? Do you think we made negative, crytit forum posts for the first 3 years of the shards existence to achieve that? No, we didn't. We didn't post on forums about how "miserable" the server was, we didn't cry about it in IRC, we didn't spam staff members with PMs -- we actually logged in and created our own entertainment. I know, it's a strange concept these days but you should really try it.

This game is SEVENTEEN years old, the server era is frozen, and yet people are complaining as if that is going to add some new original content to the game, or bring new players to the server. This is a Derricktatorship, if you think he's just going to put events back on the server because you cry hard enough on these forums or in IRC, then you're sorely mistaken.

Stop being lazy. We make the content, we are the entertainment, the players make the server enjoyable or miserable and for you to spread your negative attitude or log off in a temper tantrum because you can't find enough people to kill in the first 5 minutes of being logged in, then you've become the problem that you're crying about.

If that is too difficult for some of you to understand, then you have the attention span of a gnat and should probably be playing something like League of Legends or Call of Duty. Nobody will miss you and you will be replaced by someone who actually enjoys the server.

To the staff and the rest of the player community, thank you for making my hobby an enjoyable experience.

Bloom

Re: Welp, I gave it 6 years...

Post by Bloom »

I gave it 3 months and it has been great. Appreciate all the great people and good times. Yesterday, because of all the complaining in IRC, I asked Derrick if running a free UO server had affected the way he views human beings and he said "no." He is a true Zen (Game)Master.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Didnt he take events away because certain people were crying hard enough?

Theres always a chance he brings em back then if I cry hard enough! :)
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Onslaught- wrote:This is a Derricktatorship
:lol: Seriously considering adding this to my signature. :lol:

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

I hear ya bro. Onslaught is beyond right. Good post bro.

Mcreedy
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mcreedy »

I've been here 1 1/2 years and love every minute of it. Thanks Derrick and staff :D
Great Lakes '97 to '08

Bloom

Post by Bloom »

Nevermind.

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

Gotta repost, as it was my wake-up call:

Events were abolished because people began to only log in for events.. nothing else... and for that, I support automated event abolishment. (as much as I love you and your contribution to the community Menk)
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Events were cancelled because they were being exploited and it was getting to be a bother to fix them.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Aeris wrote:Gotta repost, as it was my wake-up call:

Events were abolished because people began to only log in for events.. nothing else... and for that, I support automated event abolishment. (as much as I love you and your contribution to the community Menk)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!
Though it was this fact and also the fact of exploits(stat loss reds rezzing etc)
However, right now people logging in for just events is better than nothing!
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

Ahh ok, I read a message from Mammoth (I think, could have been another GM) a few weeks ago, that I interpreted as what I wrote (about player's only logging in for events). Didn't know about exploits, etc.
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Aeris wrote:Ahh ok, I read a message from Mammoth (I think, could have been another GM) a few weeks ago, that I interpreted as what I wrote (about player's only logging in for events). Didn't know about exploits, etc.

Players only logging in was part of it, but they honestly need to get over it. It brought population on the shard. The most fun times I ever had pvping in this game was the hour after an event was over. The fights after an event were amazing.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

Well great, so why have a silver trade in at all if the most we can get is 30 silver a year from Christmas trophies? Maybe if I play for the next 30 years I'll have 900 silver coins, almost enough for a unique item. Why not add in a 0.01% chance across all loot tables that a single silver coin drops upon creature death? Or if that's not rare enough, a 0.001% chance? SOMETHING.

Anniversary rewards IS era accurate so why do we not have those here instead of the "anniversary day" where if you don't (or can't) login, you get nothing? Granted the "real vets" are that for a reason. "they paid their dues", etc. but they were the only ones to benefit from the old events.. saps like me that joined in December 2011.. squat.

Not meant to be a complaint or rant.. just an observation. But shard owners can do what they want.. just like if I ever get done coding my Siege Perilous I'd probably be pretty tight on it, but just because of what SP was.. this shard is not an SP shard.. anywho I'll get off the soapbox.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I don't know why a GM cant run a Double Domination or something once in a while... It doesn't have to be fully automated. Bag ball went on a few times after the events were shut down, so did the survival game.

So long as a GM is present during these events the player's can be held somewhat accountable.

The event exploit was a very minor exploit in my opinion. It almost entirely consisted of Yomega signing up for an event on his stat pk, running to the brit GY before the game starts, getting killed, then waiting for the event to resurrect him without stat-loss penalty. I'm pretty sure that is all there was to it.

Let's have some GM supervised semi-auto events. I would love to play Double Dom and win first place again!

Mase WiN

Post by Mase WiN »

Onslaught- wrote:..and i'm still here.

If you guys spent half as much time being positive, helping new players, and/or promoting the server, you might have nothing else to complain about. The forum and IRC negativity is honestly the worst it has ever been in the 6 years that I've been here. The server isn't going anywhere so for the love of Derrick, stop your crying.

Most of the veterans who still play this server were playing in 2007 when less than 30 people were online during prime time, yet we still logged in and had fun. Some of you people are relentlessly complaining and "logging off" in protest (like that is going to accomplish anything) because there are less than 700 people logging in at all hours of the day. Do you think this is how the server got to a 700+ client peak? Do you think we made negative, crytit forum posts for the first 3 years of the shards existence to achieve that? No, we didn't. We didn't post on forums about how "miserable" the server was, we didn't cry about it in IRC, we didn't spam staff members with PMs -- we actually logged in and created our own entertainment. I know, it's a strange concept these days but you should really try it.

This game is SEVENTEEN years old, the server era is frozen, and yet people are complaining as if that is going to add some new original content to the game, or bring new players to the server. This is a Derricktatorship, if you think he's just going to put events back on the server because you cry hard enough on these forums or in IRC, then you're sorely mistaken.

Stop being lazy. We make the content, we are the entertainment, the players make the server enjoyable or miserable and for you to spread your negative attitude or log off in a temper tantrum because you can't find enough people to kill in the first 5 minutes of being logged in, then you've become the problem that you're crying about.

If that is too difficult for some of you to understand, then you have the attention span of a gnat and should probably be playing something like League of Legends or Call of Duty. Nobody will miss you and you will be replaced by someone who actually enjoys the server.

To the staff and the rest of the player community, thank you for making my hobby an enjoyable experience.

Ons did you give up on vanquish ? Where are all the zt guys ?

As we speak I'm trying to convince Gk to play this server. Your post was too long for me to read.

Btw how's Ohio

Mase