Geometry/direction/movement/speed/distance

Topics related to Second Age
Li Meiyang

Geometry/direction/movement/speed/distance

Post by Li Meiyang »

Maybe this is already obvious to some people, but it just occurred to me that running in any of the cardinal directions North East South or West is slower than moving NE, SE, NW, SW.

One step moves you one tile in any direction, but look at the triangle below. The two sides running N to S and W to E are both 9 tiles (and nine steps). The diagonal line (hypotenuse) is a greater distance (12.7) yet still only nine tiles and nine steps.

12.7 - 9 = 3.7

3.7 is 41% of 9

So that means you move 41% further (or faster) running NE/SE/NW/SW than you do going N/S/E/W, yeah? Unless I'm missing something. :?:

I remember in AD&D diagonal movement on the grid cost you one extra step for every two. In other words moving two spaces diagonally counted as 3, 4 counted as 6, etc. But in UO there is no penalty, so you just gain all that distance.

That's a really significant difference, and worth putting to use in pursuit or flight, or just travelling in general...

This would be really useful at sea as well. I will start to apply it for hauling up MIBS by favoring "forward right/left" over "forward" on course to the markers.
Attachments
tiles.JPG
tiles.JPG (67.37 KiB) Viewed 866 times

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Geometry/direction/movement/speed/distance

Post by nubnub »

Yep, maximize those stealth steps...

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

"faster" for stealth, but the fastest ways to outrun someone in the wild is to find a seam between the trees and follow it - serpentine = caught

qwebirc41039

Post by qwebirc41039 »

your describing something all pros like me implicity already knew

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line
Oh my GOD! That's like what goes up must come down!
Someone should put that on paper :wink:
Just teasing.

On that note, why are there famous quotes of common sense by so called super geniuses? Makes me want to slap a few teachers...and society who was awestruck at the time.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.