Magery & Eval Int: skill point distribution

Topics related to Second Age
Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Magery & Eval Int: skill point distribution

Post by Aeris »

Hello,

I'm sure this is on here somewhere on the boards, but I can't find it. I've checked out a few resources, and none of them have consistent formulas for the effect of Magery and Eval Int per skill point.

I'm only looking at PVM, not PVP (air eles mostly, maybe some random forest creatures - no dragons, balrons, etc.; char's resist will be locked at 0).

My question is:
I have a char with 100.0 Inscription, and 150.1 skill points left to distribute between Magery and Eval Int. I only need 80.1 Magery to scribe level 8 scrolls. Since I don't care much to GM Magery, when 80.1 is only required and gaining to GM will cost a significant amount of regs, I'm wondering if I should distribute the remaining skill points to Eval Int like so:

80.1 Magery
70.0 Evaluating Intelligence
Total: 150.1

Or if it is much more worthwhile for my PVM necessities to have:

100.0 Magery
50.1 Evaluating Intelligence
Total: 150.1

I know Eval gives a 0.2% increase of damage per full point of the skill. In a few skill calculators that have been posted around these forums, most showed that between 60 and 100 Magery, the damage didn't increase at all unless the opponent had a high level of resist ( > 60.0). However, in the same calculator, if I increased Eval Int and didn't change Magery, there was the expected 0.2% increase in damage for every point. So, it seems that unless you are fighting PVP against someone with high resist, or fighting against monsters with high resist, Magery doesn't matter at all once you get up to 60 or 80 skill; only eval will increase your damage (of course Magery still affects your casting success rate, it just doesn't affect how much you damage your opponent with your spells).

Can anyone give me some insight into this?

For now I'm just going to take 70 Eval, since it's easy. If it seems worthwhile, I can drop Eval and increase Magery further at a later date.

Thanks to anyone who knows their sh*t and replies here!
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Magery & Eval Int: skill point distribution

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

For a craftsman do this.

Blacksmithing
Carpentry
Tailoring
Magery
Meditation

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Carpentry read the bottom about crafting with multiple skills.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

Already GM Alchy on same char :( Plus Inscription doesn't fit with other skills ('cept Magery/Med), so that's why I put Alchy and Scribe on same toon. Will make another char for house add-ons, etc. so don't need those skills on this toon, therefore the extra 70 SP for either Eval or GMing Magery.

My question is more for understanding Magery/Eval mechanics than feedback on template choice. Regardless, thanks for your advice.
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

For a PvM'er, if you are just doing things like killing stuff with EV's (I don't know, you didn't post your whole template), then a bit of eval will help you get the kill shot on things after the EV is dispelled and the poison stops. At 0 eval I can EB a blood elemental at 0% 2 times and not have it die sometimes. 50 is enough to make it not frustrating, but it's not really needed.

Post the whole thing, or just link to the public character profile.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I am guessing
Alchemy
Poisoning
Resist
Med
Wrestling

so the values I would express would be in adding eval

Alchemy
Poisoning
Resist 80
Med 80
Wrestling 80
Eval 60

What I personally would do with him is this

Alchemy
Poisoning (if you have poison on another switch to taste identification)
Med
Item Identification
Arms Lore

and keep him as a quartermaster/inventory person/book keeper locked in your house

My Houseman/Quarter Master is going to be similar except
Alchemy
Poisoning
Tracking (know who is around the house, find if someone who was inside is in the area)
Item ID
Forensic Evaluation (know who comes in is not disguised, know who came in and messed with your junk)
Arms Lore
Taste Identification

This is going away from your original post but you should think about what you want to do with your alts especially if they are not specific to PVM/PVP. I am just giving examples so when you make others you can spend as much time designing them before even training them.

Sometimes you can make a PVM build out of a crafter after you have everything else you want. Which is what you are leaning to I guess. But I think it is more important to condense skills you want in ways that work best to free up character slots.

The first craftsman build I put on there is more then just for add ons, its to put a maker's mark on everything. If people know you make everything at GM it's easier to find one name to take personal orders for things. Especially if they like the name.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While most skill calculators don't factor Magery in, the skill does indeed increase the damage that a spell does. The formula for the increase to base damage from Magery is the same as the bonus for Tactics to any hit with a weapon with the general effect of -50% damage at 0 skill, 0% damage at 50 skill, and a 50% damage bonus at GM Magery. The significant difference is that unlike Tactics, Magery also determines whether you succeed at casting the spell or not.

On the other hand, Evaluating Intelligence provides a scaling effect for spell damage, based on a comparison between your evaluating intelligence versus your target's resisting spells. The formula will cut damage up to a maximum of 50% if your evaluating intelligence is less than your target's resisting spells, and will increase the damage up to a maximum of 20% if your evaluating intelligence is greater than your target's resisting spells. At equal values, there is no change to spell damage. This scaling occurs after the bonus to spell damage from Magery, and after the check to see if you have actively resisted a spell to cut it's damage in half, so any calculations on exactly how much damage is added or removed will need to take that into account.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org