Parry in PvP?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Parry in PvP?

Post by Daolin »

I can't see parry being all that great in PvP for a macer. I'd rather just stick to using a q-staff. PvP seems to be more about offense than defense anyway. My current template includes parry:

healing
anatomy
macing
tactics
resist
hiding

parry

I'd like to trade parry for something if it is indeed worthless in PvP (I don't even use it in PvE). I was thinking GM Detect Hidden perhaps? I'm not looking to add magery or archery. Could I also split some tracking and detect hidden? Would those skills be more useful?

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Parry in PvP?

Post by RoadKill »

How about magery?

My guy is Macing, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Resist, Magery, X. X has been ... parry, meditation, eval, hiding, archery, wrestling. I change it on a fairly regular basis rather than making new characters (cause it's cheaper/quicker to change 1 skill, than make a whole new character).

Parrying is good against any other dexer, suited in just chainmail and leather, along with my shield, I have over 55ar and if I'm fighting another dexer, they aren't going to be able to do any serious damage to me. Tank mage hally hits have been doing 5-25, mostly under 15 on all hits. It really makes it hard for them to get a lucky combo off on me (lucky combo being high damage Expl/Eb+Hally hit)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

Nahh, not looking to add Magery because it would be so hard with my stats and skills. I could do it, but i'm not looking for major changes to this character.

I could keep parry. I haven't been impressed with war axe damage though. Do you find it is actually able to kill someone in PvP? I find it hard enough trying to down someone with my q-staff. I'm almost forced to at least pair with another PvPer.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Daolin wrote: I could keep parry. I haven't been impressed with war axe damage though. Do you find it is actually able to kill someone in PvP? I find it hard enough trying to down someone with my q-staff. I'm almost forced to at least pair with another PvPer.
When I fight Mages, I generally use a Qstaff, if it's a 1v2, I go for "Mace" and Shield. Mace+Shield against heavy armored opponents is also nice. The weapon is a bit slower, but has a good stamina hit and decent damage. The more you wreck their stamina, the slower then swing. They can chug TRs, but eventually they will be out of red pots and find it hard to continue fighting (not to mention you'll be ruining their armor too)

I'd really suggest getting 60 Magery. Recalling, curing, teleporting, wall of stoning, greater heals. All great reasons to have some (even if not GM), magery.

60 Magery, 40 Tracking is a possibility. Tracking isn't worth GMing unless you group fight or think you can afford to burn 100pts on a skill. Tracking at 40 is still very good for chasing someone/seeing who's 2-3 screens ahead of you (GM tracking has amazing distance, but often times isn't necessary)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

I may just keep the parry. I can use scrolls for recall fairly well. I can get out of a fight easy w/ the GM hiding to enable me to recall. The only big downer really is trapped pouches. But i'll work with it. This char is probably going to become a chaos/order char with town fights (although i'm definitely keeping the hard earned resist).

Since you've used mace and parry. Any suggestion on a one hand weapon? Is it all about the war axe? Are there slower high damage one-handers worth using as well?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

parry just got a nice boost in recent patch, may want to keep it a while
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I'm not going to suggest what to fill your 100 points with, but I will say, do NOT gm tracking. If you want tracking to be usfull in areas where you are likely going to track something. (Dungeons, and town areas, and other places people hang out), then do not gm it. If you do you will get the message "There are too many things in this area to track". Also, if the person you are looking for hid themselves via magic, then you only need 5 points of detect to reveal them. I would get 60 tracking and 10 detect hidden, and for those guys that actually use the hiding skill, toss a purple potion at them after you track them. The remaining 30 points could be put to good use with whatever..

Also magery is a great idea..

Return to “New Player Help”