Don't Ever Give in to Weak Players...

Topics related to Second Age
Silas Lang

Don't Ever Give in to Weak Players...

Post by Silas Lang »

First I should say that I'm usually not that concerned about UO/shard issues or game changes. It may seem weird but I just play the game the way it is and adapt to the usually minor changes. Just takes some adjusting to the new, letting the old ways go etc.

I'm posting this after reading a "goodbye shard" post made by Ralina a while back and plenty of other sob story posts that seem to crop up every week or so. Here's a link to the post: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5055

I underestimated how far some people will go and how hard they will push to get things their way...that chat log is truly pathetic. I'm pretty sure the reason most people like this game is the freedom you have to do what you want, good or bad. Artificial boundaries, unrealistic limitations and imposed player protections are what ruined UO for many. Now the trammies, as most ppl call em, would say things were improved. In my opinion it's not the same game...not what it was intended to be.

I'm glad staff has stuck to their guns. You can't pin T2A down to a specific date,week, or even month...it was 97-2000 or w/e. Derrick and staff has shown good judgement and common sense with the "picking/choosing" of things within the era. How someone can pretty much demand that changes be made to suit their small view of what UO should be is pretty odd to me. These people make grave warnings about what direction the shard is going, that other players will quit, piss and moan when they dont get their way with staff and finally announce to the shard they are quitting along with a public explanation.

I'll most likely be writing more on this subject -- to counter the few people that can't cope with T2A yet they are the most vocal with their demands. The majority just play the game and enjoy the chaos that ensues in a free enviroment.

Conclusion: As the shard grows so will the number of "trammies" that come to set up shop and start hackin away at core game fundamentals. Don't let them pervert Second Age with their candyland vision of UO.

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment.

Derrick

Re: Don't Ever Give in to Weak Players...

Post by Derrick »

Thank you, very much :)

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

[11:09] <Ralina> so are you finally manningup and saying this is my shard ill do whatthe fuck i want ....if so youve just gainedmore respect from me than you will everknow ....however what would then be the deciding factor to get it put in game .....

I really don't understand the whole OMG WHY U DO WUT U WANT WITH UR COMPUTERS? mentality. There are things here I don't agree with, but after I try to politely suggest changes, I accept that I don't own the computers and I'm not paying to use them. Bizarre. The staff is here is beyond complaint.

HardActToFollow

Post by HardActToFollow »

I'll say it again, I love this shard and totally agree with the first poster. Things can and will change on this shard, almost everyone of them are for the better. The only time I would ever balk at a change is when they are effecting the "core set" of rules for T2A. That is the best thing about this shard, T2A was all about danger at all times, even in town. If you walk out of town your free game. If you are going to PvM in the hotspots of the land (lich lords, destard) you gotta expect PKs are going to hunt there too. Risk and reward.

As far as the blessed house deeds, young system and all that crap, why does it even matter? I am not a GM anything and hell I was able to set down my own house. I scouted out a spot, marked a rune to it grabbed the deed from the bank and instantly recalled to place it. If you go around and get killed by an orge or something while trying to place and house boohoo for you. The same rules apply for the "hot housing" areas. If you are going to try and place a house at Minoc Mines, Vesper Vendors or whatever, then you better expect PKs to be trolling that area as well. And as for the young system, I never really understood what the hell that system accomplished other than allowing people to spam new characters to safely mine in places they have no business being in. Earn your stripes the old way dammit.

All in all, what turned me off on OSI was that you spend months fine tuning a character and then they totally hose the world with a trammie patch. And BTW I am a PvM player. I say rather than bog down the admins with all of this non-issue stuff, let them work on new quest and event items. It would be awesome to see some type of scripted event happen once a month like monsters taking over a random town or having to find and kill that one monster out in the world that might have some item for a powerful spell etc.
Last edited by HardActToFollow on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Type6

Post by Type6 »

Completely agree with the OP. This shard has hit the nail on the head regarding the T2A era spirit. Any major changes or implementations are just going to ruin it. GG keep doing a good job.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

very good post

although there are things that can be improved on this shard i will play and enjoy it regardless.

thanks.

Senses

Post by Senses »

I don't think drinking the Koolaid is any more helpfull to the shard than whining and crying then quitting when things aren't the way you want. This is a free shard, and in as much, we all appreciate the time and energy Derrick and his crew put into it. But there shit still stinks on occasion. Without our feedback they won't know how to make it a better server, and sometimes, when you really feel strongly about an issue, and noone is listening, you have to raise your voice a little bit in order to keep an audience.

Ralina, (she quit before i got here,) seemed to care alot about her personal issues, and I don't think there is any reason to bad mouth her because of it. In the end, she put her feet where her mouth are (ya i realize that doesn't make sense,) but she had issues that weren't being resolved and walked because of it. I can respect that, and I certainly don't see her for being "weak" because of it. For every issue of hers you thought was gay, there's another issue that you enjoy that is only around because someone had to come here and point it out.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

chumbucket wrote:There are things here I don't agree with, but after I try to politely suggest changes, I accept that I don't own the computers and I'm not paying to use them. Bizarre. The staff is here is beyond complaint.

couldn't have said it better myself
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Silas Lang

Post by Silas Lang »

Senses, you have your view on it and that's fine. I'm not against anyone speaking up or making shard suggestions but some people go too far. Aggressively demanding game changes by harrassing staff and then crying in forums when you dont get your way is too much in my book. Alot of players have strong opinions too but they don't use dirty tactics to try and get their way with staff.

I DO think it's weak to sit in your house for weeks due to pk's/griefers/thieves or whatever she and her husband were hiding from. Actually it's completely absurd because one, THIS IS A DAMN VIDEOGAME!!! and two, there arent that many pk's or griefers on this shard. I was pk'd many times as a new player out provo'ing but was hardly ever dry looted or even had my horse killed. I was never followed to a healer and rezkilled over and over. Plenty of times I was able to farm away in peace too. Saying things like "pk's are 15 to 1 here" or "new players dont have a chance of staying alive" is being a bit dramatic.

I dont think the issues she brought up were gay necessarily...just that they ruin the "wild west" feel of the game for me. Young player status isn't needed imo because it is easy enough to get going on this shard with razor/macro'ing. I'm against blessing/newbifying ANY items although I guess blessed checks are needed. Pretty soon you have newbied ship keys/deeds, house keys/deeds, house add-ons and who knows what else just to make things easier--gates that can only be dispelled on one side to prevent death gating for example.

[10:55] <Ralina> why not make it easier on the players

The reason I made this post is to combat this mentality. When UO becomes too easy and things are protected, the game changes. You know longer have to think or be on guard. It's not like ppl cant pvm or rp in a dangerous enviroment--it should actually add more dynamics to those playstyles. The element of danger is lost sooner than people might realize and then we all just end up going through the motions.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

when UO becomes easy, it becomes borning, the thing about OSI is it was huge, with loads of players thus even more loads of things to do, when skill gain is too easy character building has no value, when you can make millions of gold in days it makes the gold have no value, it makes the game borning, and people leave go find a new shard with new excitement and challenges, which is why OSI worked because of the endless challenges, personaly I love UOSA i love the hard skill gain, and love the non blessed items and I love having the theat of gank or PK, why? because it, adds risk to the game, risk add challenge, challenge + risk = fun.
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Senses

Post by Senses »

I agree 100 pct with you Silas. My post didn't regard her suggestions per se, because I want the game to be hard as well. My post was in regard to suggestions as a whole. Alot of people get on Hemp for constantly bringing up era accurate suggestions, and I suppose if you are the target of his proposed changes or you simply hate his guts, which many seem to, you see this as an attack on you, or your place here on a shard where you feel some ownership. But regardless of his intentions, the process is important. This server would most certainly not be the growing place it is if people didn't speak up. Occasionally they are wrong and some of them quit, but the shard continues.

Dick Cheney

Post by Dick Cheney »

agree with OP