Fire field/Resist:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Fire field/Resist:

Post by Faust »

I have mentioned this before with no evidence but I have found some in regard to this topic. The last time that I tested this was a couple months back, so I don't know if it has been fixed since. While gaining resist by using a fire field at a low level it would only go up to around 30-35. It was very common back in the day to use fire field to go all the way up to around 55 resist. Here is an article commenting about this feature that was written in July of 1999.
Before you start, get yourself about 200-300 of each fire field reagent (BP, SA, and SS for those who don't look in their spellbooks), a shitload (a shitload is a quantity of indefinite, but very large size) of bandages, and a horse. Start casting fire fields and RUNNING through them. Run back and forth, trying to squeeze as much damage out of each fire field that you can. Once you are near death, step out of the field and start a bandage. Apply bandages until you are back to full health, then repeat. If you want to gain a few extra skill points during this time, try to meditate a few times while you are running through the field. Using this method, you can easily reach 50-55 resist in just a couple of hours (watch a movie while you do it, it helps the time pass faster).

Reference: GM Character Building Part 3 July 29, 1999
http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/

Derrick

Re: Fire field/Resist:

Post by Derrick »

Nice reference. This should have been adusted to be correct on UOSA a couple patches ago. Previous to this, the max you could get to with firefied was much lower.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

yewp and poison field

I def rm using ff to get to 50-55 resist nps.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

For this topic, it seems to be how I remember it too (FF getting you to mid 50s resist), but can I ask why we're using player knowledge as "sources" ?
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Faust

Post by Faust »

When there are no "sources" available in hard code the next best thing are articles written during that particular time. I would prefer using a source like that next to nothing like it is currently based on.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Faust wrote:When there are no "sources" available in hard code the next best thing are articles written during that particular time. I would prefer using a source like that next to nothing like it is currently based on.
Alright, I figured I'd ask because there were a few things I was going to dig up info on and if I can't find true patch notes, I will look at opinion based articles as a "next best thing"
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

cletus

Post by cletus »

This is true but it majorly slowed down between 35 and "55" (more like what, 52 or so real?) I very clearly remember doing this with my thief when I stole a bunch of regs early on in my UO career.

The reason this is overlooked is most people started with 50 resist and went straight to lightning bolt or whatever.

On the subject kind of, I remember using a bug with blade spirits under my tower wing and also energy field under stairs to up resist to about 80. It has been a long time though. There were quite a few little things like this if I recall.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

cletus wrote:This is true but it majorly slowed down between 35 and "55" (more like what, 52 or so real?) I very clearly remember doing this with my thief when I stole a bunch of regs early on in my UO career.

The reason this is overlooked is most people started with 50 resist and went straight to lightning bolt or whatever.

On the subject kind of, I remember using a bug with blade spirits under my tower wing and also energy field under stairs to up resist to about 80. It has been a long time though. There were quite a few little things like this if I recall.

yeah i brought up the blade spirit bug a while back. everyone shot it down though. it was a nice way to gain resist for sure. i do hope we atleast get the firefield method added. i always used firefields to start off my resist to around mid 50's or so.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

ClowN wrote:yeah i brought up the blade spirit bug a while back. everyone shot it down though. it was a nice way to gain resist for sure. i do hope we atleast get the firefield method added. i always used firefields to start off my resist to around mid 50's or so.
Firefield will currently get you to 55ish on UOSA

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

Derrick wrote:
ClowN wrote:yeah i brought up the blade spirit bug a while back. everyone shot it down though. it was a nice way to gain resist for sure. i do hope we atleast get the firefield method added. i always used firefields to start off my resist to around mid 50's or so.
Firefield will currently get you to 55ish on UOSA

Confirmed. I went from 30-55 magic resist in under an hour using firefields.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

sweet. i hadnt tried it for a long time, just knew it used to not work when i first started here. glad to see its working.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

You could get to 80 with energy field and you could GM resist with BS. I did it both in t2a.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS