Casting 8th Level Spells

Topics related to Second Age
Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Casting 8th Level Spells

Post by Budner »

True or false?: With 100 magery skill, chance of successfully casting an 8th level spell is 50%.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Casting 8th Level Spells

Post by Menkaure »

Budner wrote:True or false?: With 100 magery skill, chance of successfully casting an 8th level spell is 50%.

I think its 54%, but that may just be me thinking incorrectly.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Thanks Menk.

I've found data about casting from scrolls, but not for casting without a scroll. I'm sure it's here somewhere but I can't lay my hands on it.

Workdawg

Post by Workdawg »

I took the formula from the wiki and applied it to the spreadsheet there to calculate actual magery values... I don't know if that formula is actually accurate or not... but hey.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... hNVE#gid=0

Sadistik

Post by Sadistik »

i tell you what it sure doesnt feel like 50% feels more like 20%
Dyx, Your Local Housing Relocation Guild!
Here to sell you housing without the stiff prices!

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Thanks Workdawg.

I've noticed that when I cast EV, I will OFTEN fizz up to 6-8 times in a row. Assuming a 50% success rate, the odds of that many consecutive fizzes are very low. 6 fizzes in a row should be a 1 in 64 chance, 8 in a row should be 1 in 256.

So at least with EV it feels like less than a 50% rate.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

The same goes for rezzing.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

It's easier to remember when you fizzle something 6x in a row because all 6 failures happened right then. You probably don't notice when you succeed 6x in a row because when you cast an EV or Res you pretty much don't cast another one right away (or for a long while even!)
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

Budner wrote:Thanks Workdawg.

I've noticed that when I cast EV, I will OFTEN fizz up to 6-8 times in a row. Assuming a 50% success rate, the odds of that many consecutive fizzes are very low. 6 fizzes in a row should be a 1 in 64 chance, 8 in a row should be 1 in 256.

8 fizzles in a row is 1 in 256 with a sample size of 8 casts - which doesn't match your conditions of casting EV's in a dungeon. 1 in 256 is your chance of fizzling all eight if you sit down and cast eight EV's and then stop.

So, if you fizzle eight times while you're in a dungeon, you've haven't defied 1 in 256 odds. You'd have to sit down, cast 8 EV's, fizzle them all, and then stop to defy 1:256.

It is dependant of your sample size. A 50% chance spell is a coin toss, so in a dungeon your maths should be more like "In 100 coin tosses, what is my probability of an 8 cast streak?" - and you should probably get a sense that the chances are probably going to be quite high.

This applies to dueling big time where a player can easily take 1000 swings in an hour - the sample size is huge and you should get some long streaks on a coin toss with that many swings.

That is in a perfect world though. I wonder what random number generator we use in UO / RunUO. Algorythms for that can get pretty intense.
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

[Uhh] Eo wrote:
Budner wrote:Thanks Workdawg.

8 fizzles in a row is 1 in 256 with a sample size of 8 casts - which doesn't match your conditions of casting EV's in a dungeon. 1 in 256 is your chance of fizzling all eight if you sit down and cast eight EV's and then stop.

So, if you fizzle eight times while you're in a dungeon, you've haven't defied 1 in 256 odds. You'd have to sit down, cast 8 EV's, fizzle them all, and then stop to defy 1:256.

It is dependant of your sample size. A 50% chance spell is a coin toss, so in a dungeon your maths should be more like "In 100 coin tosses, what is my probability of an 8 cast streak?" - and you should probably get a sense that the chances are probably going to be quite high.

This applies to dueling big time where a player can easily take 1000 swings in an hour - the sample size is huge and you should get some long streaks on a coin toss with that many swings.

That is in a perfect world though. I wonder what random number generator we use in UO / RunUO. Algorythms for that can get pretty intense.
Good point about the dueling, how many of us have missed 8-10 times in a row? Or duel someone who hits 10 in a row. All the time, trust me I'm usually the miss 10 in a row guy.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish