Improving the UOSA Wiki

Topics related to Second Age
Workdawg

Improving the UOSA Wiki

Post by Workdawg »

Being a relatively new player to the shard, and one who wasn't super serious back in the day, I go to the wiki and these forums quite often to look up various details and tips. Skill gain guides, monster or town information, weapon details, etc. Unfortunately, the wiki is a clusterfuck of inconsistency and searching the forums can be tedious at times. Certainly IRC is a great place to go for information, but sometimes it's just easier to look things up.

That being said, I would like to take on the challenge of improving the wiki. I've got some pretty decent experience in moderating and creating wiki content... but what I don't have is a lot of the in-depth knowledge that I'd like to add to the wiki.

My top concerns are the ridiculously inconsistent information across the various skill pages. Some of them have guides to levelling up, some of them have practically no information.
Secondary to that is reviewing pages and properly linking between them.

A great example of these issues is found between these pages.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Swordsmanship
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Mace_Fighting
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Fencing

The weapon data really doesn't belong on the swords page, but it's there... and there is no link to it from other weapon skill pages. None of the weapon skills pages even has a list of which weapons actually use that skill.

Then you look at the town pages and they contain almost no information at all.

So... what I'm looking for from you guys is a couple of things.
1. Input into what SHOULD be on the wiki pages.
2. Detailed information to put on the pages.

In addition to that, more people to help improve the wiki by writing articles or guides would be great. There's a good post here (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11890) with a lot of skill guide forum posts... but it's out of date in some cases and could be improved greatly. I'd love to use a lot of those guides on the wiki, but of course I'd need to PM all the authors and get their permission to use their content.

tl;dr - HELP ME IMPROVE THE WIKI!!!

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Improving the UOSA Wiki

Post by Light Shade »

I fix things when I see they are messed up. Feel free to send me links with explanations and i'll take a look at them as I can.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Workdawg

Post by Workdawg »

Light Shade wrote:I fix things when I see they are messed up. Feel free to send me links with explanations and i'll take a look at them as I can.
Thanks for the offer, I'm not really looking to offload the work though. I'm quite willing to rewrite entire pages and create templates, etc. I just need data, guides, and input from people.

For example, It would be super simple to create a template that could be applied to all skills. Skill name, order of associated stat gain, description of benefits, guide to leveling up the skill, maybe a spot for Razor macro code... then I just have to go through and apply it to all the skill pages. Of course, then I need all of the above data for every skill...

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

When I have a UO question .... and that is OFTEN ..... I google something "ultima online (specify key terms)" and invariably 1/3 of all respectable answers lead directly to this site. Which speaks well, I think, of the knowledge base here.

Workdawg

Post by Workdawg »

I don't question the knowledge here at all. Certainly there are people here who know everything there is to know. I just think that it would be nice to have one centralized location to compile all of the knowledge. The wiki SHOULD serve that purpose but it suffers from the aforementioned issues A LOT.