Resource Gathering Skill Macros without Gathering Resources?

Moderator: Support Moderators

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Resource Gathering Skill Macros without Gathering Resources?

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I wanted to post this in hopes that staff would chime in and we could all have an understand of what is and is not allowed in macroing.

From my understanding, macroing is just fine so long as you are not using it to harvest gold in some fashon (and ruin the economy). So if I am macroing a skill (using razor) that does not produce any resource without first consuming a resource (mining, lumberjacking, sheering sheep, fishing, reg-gathering, monster hunting ect..) then it is perfectly okay?

Suppose I want to gain skill in a resource-gathering skill such as lumberjacking? Would it be okay for me to stand near as many trees as I can reach and use Razor to hit each one until it is out of resources and then start all over from the first tree? It would be horribly ineffieient, because it takes so long for the trees to replenish themselves. It is using razor, which is legal right?

So what if I did the same as above, only I used razor to walk me around from tree to tree in this really long macro that went through about 100 trees (would take forever to write) Would that be legal??

Probably not, because that is seriously gathering resources.... SO.

Suppose I walked from tree to tree (100 trees) gathering lumber and as I cut each log I also was disposing of it, like cutting it up into kindling or something, or however you can destroy it, idk. Is that okay??

I mean, if people can sit at the bank and practice magery all day, would it be safe to assume that someone could train a GM miner, as long as they do not gather the resources??

What are the "official" rules to go by. I think this is something that everyone should learn and I feel that if the staff created a list of do's and donts, and you followed those rules exactly (like law) this would be much clearer.

Thanks.
Last edited by MatronDeWinter on Sun May 09, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senses

Re: Resource Gathering Skill Macros without Gathering Resources?

Post by Senses »

you can macro anything at anytime, the only caveat being that you must be at your computer doing it. In fact, from what i understand, you can have one account macroing gathering lumberjacking for instance while playing another account, but you have to check back frequently so its not as if you are macroing unattended. Whenever I'm gathering, if I have a macro running, i just turn it off if I have to go to the bathroom or whatever.

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Here is how the system works. When we check on players for resource gathering, we have a system that tells us how much of an item has been gathered in what amount of time. If you've disposed of this or not, we have no way to know.

The thing is, you're gathering the item no matter what you end up doing with it, so to answer your question, yes chances are you will be jailed if caught doing this.

Bacololo

Post by Bacololo »

Here is a question for you then. What if we work off the same premise the OP posted but do it in a different sense. Let us say that I stack 125 separate coins into my backpack so for everytime I 'gather' a resource, lets say logs from lumberjacking, they would automatically re-direct to the floor because I am capped at an item limit. This would not constitute a gathering of resources and from my understanding of your count system, it should be able to be seen that everything has defaulted to not entering my characters inventory which would lead to no resources being gathered. Would this be a legal way to unattended train resource gathering skills?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The premise behind the whole system is two fold, one is to keep the raw materials of value, but the other is to introduce at least some reasonable barrier to macroing up a crafting character; be it an expense of gold, or time.
Also, There's nothing to prevent someone from following behind you and picking up those items, and still introducing those resources into the economy. One player running around to popular spots, could harvest the resources of 10 AFK miners, dropping their ore to the ground.

AFK resource gathering is completely prohibited on Second Age, and it's a policy that has served the shard well, as our player economy remains very strong.

Return to “New Player Help”