[Era Accuracy] Bone containers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Creager

[Era Accuracy] Bone containers

Post by Creager »

Hey guys,

During t2a, if a character died in your house, started to decay or was chopped up with a bladed item, and turned into bones, the bones could be locked-down or secured as a container.

Currently, if you are in a house and try to use a bladed item on a corpse, you get a message stating, "you cannot use a bladed item on that."

On a side note, at least at near the end of t2a, the bones could not be relocated after releasing. They would simply stay where they lay. I do know there were “bone-containers” which could be moved about… sold on venders… ect… I’m not sure if this was something different or a bug that allowed one to pick up the bones.

I think this would help add the 'feel' to the server.

Discuss...
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Derrick

Re: [Era Accuracy] Bone containers

Post by Derrick »

We do have movable bone containers. Very interesting on the corpses, I was never aware of this 'feature' myself.

Aye, please do discuss.

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

I don't remember this either.

I'm not saying it didn't exist, but I don't remember it at all.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Creager

Post by Creager »

I'm not having much luck finding literature directly releating to this, although it is possible EA didnt specificially mention it.

I found this in the patch notes on August 2, 2000

"... it will no longer be possible to lock down “valueless” items such as new player clothing and resurrection robes. "

I’m sure we could all agree that semi-rare bone-containers existed. OSI may have not foreseen players locking down the bones left from corpses, which essentially are containers that although can not be moved, fundamentally would have existed parallel to their semi-rare counterpart. Its possible the code may have not completely differentiated between the two, at least until bones left from corpses were possibility tagged as 'valueless.'
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

I don't remember ever being able to lock down player bones.

Embers from campfires - yes.
Bones from decaying corpses - no.

Creager

Post by Creager »

Interesting, I vaguely remember being able to lock down embers from campfires. I'm coming to assume there were probably innumerable 'valueless' items which were unforeseeably lock-down-able during the era.

I am completely certain about locking down bones from corpses, aside from the semi-rare bone-containers. I just wish I had a screen-shot or some literature to prove it since I remember this specifically. Obviously this isn’t a mechanical or rule-set issue, so I realize there isn't much room for argument; this 'feature' would simply add some ‘feel’ to the server.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Creager is right. I remember doing this in my house almost immediately after CUB. I don't know if they could be secured, but they could definitely be locked down.

Creager

Post by Creager »

Sup Fwerp!

Yes, they could be secured.

The inherit difference between Corpse-Containers and Bone-Containers, was the fact boner-containers were moveable. The Corpse-Container simply stayed where the unfortunate was laid. If the corpse-container was unlocked/unsecured it eventually decayed like a normal corpse.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Faust

Post by Faust »

I used this bug on the EA servers too. It was definitely possible to do this at one point during the t2a era. I forget when exactly it was fixed. We may not know exactly when it happened but there are a few things that we know for sure. Bones didn't generate upon a decayed or cut up corpse until around the t2a release. This means that people couldn't be mistaking this feature for the pre-t2a era, etc...

Godsend

Post by Godsend »

You know, I do believe I remember that... It didn't last too long though, if I recall it was fixed pretty quickly.