Skill Gain on UOSA

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Deadiam

Skill Gain on UOSA

Post by Deadiam »

People who read the subject line probably automatically thought what i think they did, "another flame post about how gain is to slow...” Well, this in fact is the opposite and I am just seeking clarification.

My question is simply, "Is skill gain here A LOT faster than OSI?"

At first thoughts I say for sure, it has to be but than I got to thinking...maybe people just know how to macro more effectively than on OSI (yes, I know macroing was "illegal" on OSI but from what I remember I did it all the time". My personal thoughts are that it shouldn't be possible to have a 7x GM mage tank in 4 days, I remember it taking months. It wasn’t uncommon for people to have only 80 magery and that aspect of the game I do miss. I wish people were running around with 80 skills rather than all GMs.

To me crafting skills seem about right as does taming (people will flame me for saying that). I think it is the basic everyday skills like magery, swords and such that are too easy to gain on this server. There seems to be no respect to have a GM characters here, your just like everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing on this server I just wish skill gain was more difficult, feel free to post your thought's on this one...I am curious to see what everyone else thinks.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Skill Gain on UOSA

Post by RoadKill »

I agree that skill gain is to easy. One of the major things I contribute to it is the way society functions now.

Back then, not many people left their computers on 24/7 connected to the Internet (mostly cause people who actually had the web, had a dialup connection). Example: During T2A era I remember spending around 10 days to get a 6x mage with 85 resist of macroing every day after school till the time I went to bed (roughly 3pm-11pm). That's about 80 hours we'll say (cause obviously it wasn't a flawless 3-11pm every day)

So in theory, I was making a 6x mage with decent resist in 3-4 days, had I been able to leave my computer on as much. Also please note that razor is a lot more effective at killing downtime, and with less server lag/packet loss, I'm also going to have a little less downtime.

Another way we've changed also is a major contributor to how we pumpout our characters. Also keep in mind that players have an issue that we will never get around. People 'refuse' to play until their character is near completion (I had a guy come to my resist party who was "looking forward to finally playing his character when he got his last .6 resist") - what is wrong with 99.4 resist? That's more than most people had during T2A, and its not going to make a difference compared to a character with 100 resist.

Mentality has changed.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Deadiam

Post by Deadiam »

A lot of good post Roadkill, I personally think the three accounts has a lot to do with it also. It used to be you would find a friend to help you macro by healing you and what not but now it is as easy as openning a second window. I know it would never be possible more account limitation would be cool. I think people able to have three players logged in at once can be a bit much although i will admit, I do it because I can.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Deadiam wrote:A lot of good post Roadkill, I personally think the three accounts has a lot to do with it also. It used to be you would find a friend to help you macro by healing you and what not but now it is as easy as openning a second window. I know it would never be possible more account limitation would be cool. I think people able to have three players logged in at once can be a bit much although i will admit, I do it because I can.
3 Accounts ruins a lot of things. Think about how stat loss is suppose to work. If you've been bad, and die in stat. Either you have to lock-out your account (and technically you're "only connection" allowed to UO on that computer) by macroing off time as a ghost. Your other option was to res, and macro your skills/stats back, again, only your only connection allowed to UO on that computer. (Yes some people got around that, but most did not, and many also didn't have another account they could go mess around on while waiting off stat loss/regain)

But this is the RunUO Generation of UO. Someone will always come up with a lie to get a second account/connection per IP if it wasn't allowed (my "brother" or my "roommates" - sure some are being honest, but others are not)
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Deadiam

Post by Deadiam »

Well, this being on topic of skill gain and not on stat loss and multiple accounts I think you should be able to have more than one account, that I have no issue with because it simple allows you to play around with more templates. I just don’t like that you can be logged in with multiple accounts per IP. At this point though it would be to late to change the rules, we are all use to multi-clients by now and if it were to change some day I think we would lose some players because of it.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

skill gain is fine on here, might be a little easier honestly, which is fine. the crafting skills are legit, so are others like taming, lockpicking, carto, magery, resist, etc.

the idea of a UOSA seige type server w/ one character per IP has been discussed. was just thinking that that only way that this is possible is if this server has hundreds (close to 1000 i would imagine) of unique IPs. i would assume that a majority of the players would not switch, 10-20% max?

keep skill gain the way it is plz :D
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Deadiam

Post by Deadiam »

Just to clarify, this wasn't a post to try and initiate a skill gain change, it was a clarification to see if it is actually faster than OSI and if it was as fast why people accomplish these things faster on this server. A massive change to skill gain would be an unfair advantage to the well established players compared to new people coming it.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

On OSI unattended macroing was illegal, and if you did it you got caught quite often (I spent a few days in the macro room with all the gates and/or jail). Not to mention that during this time, I dont believe UO assist had came out yet, so you had to buy 40$ programs like EZ macros, which worked for shit IMO. The lack of macroing is the biggest factor in my opinion why it ws so hard on OSI. That, and most of us were kids.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Ah the macro boxes! Here's another SS I've dug up off my old HD

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

You could do most macros with UO Autopilot back then. It mainly comes down to the fact that we are all so much more experienced now. You can't code for that though.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Baja's macro box was in Bucs.

It was easy to macro on OSI's servers. I macro'ed constantly and was never caught. Never even had a single warning and I played from '97 all the way up to '00. Typically only the people that would macro out in the open would be caught. OSI relied a lot on its playerbase to turn in the macro'ers. It also probably varied from shard to shard.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Faust wrote: It was easy to macro on OSI's servers. I macro'ed constantly and was never caught. Never even had a single warning and I played from '97 all the way up to '00. Typically only the people that would macro out in the open would be caught. OSI relied a lot on its playerbase to turn in the macro'ers. It also probably varied from shard to shard.
I'm in the same boat. I played 1997-2002, never got caught macroing or jailed/banned for any reason. And I use to macro... a lot (to say the least)

0range

Post by 0range »

RoadKill wrote:Ah the macro boxes! Here's another SS I've dug up off my old HD

Woah! I've never seen one of those.

Regarding macroing, was there not a time when macroing was 'frowned' opon, but not a bannable offense? I think this was pre-t2a, as I remember macroing music at the Brit bank and having a GM called on me, the GM just took my instrument away.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

0range wrote:
RoadKill wrote:Ah the macro boxes! Here's another SS I've dug up off my old HD

Woah! I've never seen one of those.

Regarding macroing, was there not a time when macroing was 'frowned' opon, but not a bannable offense? I think this was pre-t2a, as I remember macroing music at the Brit bank and having a GM called on me, the GM just took my instrument away.
It was first made illegal during t2a I believe. And when it was first changed gm's would let people slide on it. They didnt really care I remember a gm coming to a buddies house and not caring. Later though, they cared and I got caught quite a few times macroing fishing. I believe there was a 3 strikes rule. There was no macro boxes on catskills it was a room full of gates in ocllo i belive it was. And it let you know you ahd 1 strike against you and you could leave to any town via one of the gates. There was also jail. I spent a few times there too.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Wow, the macro box is intresting. On the pacific shard you ended up in the Jail at Bucs Den (I think that is where the jail is), and if you were busted macroing something serious. (Like mining or resource gathering for cash) you went straight to the GM prison (that little room with a few squares and no doors. Just some candlebras.

There was some scenario thing on Pacific and there was a "character" of some sort fighting a Red Liche in Delucia and I PK'd the "character" (which was a GM) and I went right to jail for 2 freaking days. It's their fault that they removed the guards so the red-liches could come inside town.