Game Economy Speculation

Topics related to Second Age
Stromverbrauch

Re: Game Economy Speculation

Post by Stromverbrauch »

Braden wrote:The inevitable truth is that we do not have fiscal controls on the server and eventually there will be hyper-inflation. This will mean that houses will end up costing millions of gold like they did on EA. The problem is that unlike in real-life where wages go up mostly in-line with inflation, the amount of gold a player can get from PvE is still the same. A monster drops the same gold now as it did when the shard came into being. Therefore, as the shard ages, newer players will become more and more at a disadvantage.

This is era accurate though.
Good simple analysis, and one that obviously shows the major flaw in the UO economy that was copied to this shard. I would see the disadvantage towards new players as a huge danger for the population of the shard. With the danger especially being that this is a slow process that makes a percentage of new arriving players abandon the shard.
WiseOne wrote:I don't think houses will keep rising in price. The nature of the freeshards is that sooner or later almost everyone lets their houses drop. We had a good winter population wise so homes got more expansive but based on the previous years, summer usually correlates with a population drop which I am sure will also clear up some nice plots of land.

If I am wrong you can catch me selling my castle for 50 castle deeds this time next year :P
But the problem is that these decays/IDOCs usually end up getting catched by "older" players, and not people who place their first house.

"Hardcore" players can hoard up to 15 houses here. So if you have only 10 "hardcore" players who love to invest their money into real estate that's 150 houses they control. That's obviously not era-accurate and adds further to the prices going up because these players also usually see this as a money-returning investment and not something they sell at later time at the same price.

If I look around on the trade forums then everything bigger than a small house usually goes for atleast twice the deed price. That should be frightening.

So here is a very simple advice: Place as many houses as you can and by the simple UO economic rules you can only win. Even a unlikely total breakdown of the market doesn't result in a loss of your investment since you can always re-deed your placed house.

I still see alot of spaces for small houses on this servers through, and you can see that reflect in the prices for placed ones. So if I were a evil person only interested in making more gold, and having a few hundred thousand gold coins to spend I would simply go around and place small houses everywhere to squeeze the market out of supply. :)

It's like speculating on the stock market without any risk.