what happened?

Topics related to Second Age
devildjinn

what happened?

Post by devildjinn »

Hi all,
Just started on this shard just over a week ago, and its been quite nostalgic so far. Its been roughly 13-14 years since I played. Before coming here I started on a different shard that had all the expansions etc. It was rather shocking to be honest, neon weapons gear based pvp, pretty much easy mode. In my opinion it was rubbish.
So my question is, what happened? When and why did it go so bad? I Googled it but didn't have any hits.
Also while I have your attention, could someone give men some advice starting up,? I have read the guides and created a Fletcher/lumberjack, but that's painfully slow raising in some like 6k per 2-3 hrs to help fund my mage template reagents. I also tried going back to how I made a quick buck back in the day, but blade spirits don't work quite how I remember them, attacking me 9 tiles away before any of the ogres that are adjacent to them??
Any insight to the above would be appreciated .
Cheers.
(Sorry for poor format on my phone)

Weigraf

Re: what happened?

Post by Weigraf »

Advice:

Start all fifteen characters and get important newbie gear to make your life easier. This gear includes but is not limited to: scissors, dagger, sextant, hatchet and leather gloves.

Next go pick cotton and shear sheep and do whatever needs to be done for flax and process it to about 20k cloth. Then start training a melee skill while killing looting and gutting everything you see. Sell hides or save them for a crafter. Continue to farm everything that the land of Britannia has to offer.

Purchase a house. Invest in loom anvil forge and spinning wheel.

If done right you could be pretty well off in two weeks

Also, seek out the guild NEW they are very helpful and can point you in whatever direction you feel like going and save you some effort.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

what good are newbied leather gloves???

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

Aaron wrote:what good are newbied leather gloves???
Lookin' good.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

wrathofjo wrote:
Aaron wrote:what good are newbied leather gloves???
Lookin' good.
Heck yeah, probably 1/2 my characters are stylin in their leather gloves!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

nonono thats horrible advice and will waste days of your time... make a thief bard

with provo and stealing at 50 then macro music provo stealing and hiding and go buy magery to 30

no go to dastard and provo drags an steal from them... end topic you are rich now

Service Unknown

Post by Service Unknown »

What I want to know is, what about the gloves?!?

Based on the answer I might have to go get a pair... But what skill gives you gloves?

Glovery? Gloving? Glovesmanship?

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

Service Unknown wrote:What I want to know is, what about the gloves?!?

Based on the answer I might have to go get a pair... But what skill gives you gloves?

Glovery, Gloving, Glovemanship, and Wrestling.

You don't want to get your knuckles all scuffed up, do ya?

Service Unknown

wrathofjo wrote:
Service Unknown wrote:What I want to know is, what about the gloves?!?

Glovery, Gloving, Glovemanship, and Wrestling.

You don't want to get your knuckles all scuffed up, do ya?

OOOH! Wrestling, ok good to know.

And no I don't, that's why I am going to fill mine with some Vaseline or lotion to keep them smmooooth in the heat of battle. Or chopping wood, or mining...

Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Francois424 »

I confirm that in 2 weeks you're pretty well started using his advise.

I am about 2 weeks old and own a small house, still have 40k in gold, about 600 of each reagents, and a rune book to every city in the land (including Nujel'm / Occlo, which I paid 1k gold per gate to some ppl in-game).

Now the next step: getting my Patio house. :mrgreen:
Oh, and joining a guild when I have more playtime :wink:

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

mining and selling the ingots always a great money maker too.

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

Loathed wrote:mining and selling the ingots always a great money maker too.
Is it, really? Maybe I just mine slow, but I struggle to mine more than 1000 per hour on a toon with 90+ mining, and hell, that's only worth 6k.

Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Francois424 »

6k/hour sounds about right for tailoring as well, and that's without the time it takes to gather the cloth.

For me :
I took one week to gather wool/cotton (and had 1054 wool / 287 cotton balls)
Converted it all into cloth (dont remember, about 2-3hours ? I might have been semi-afk)
And now the money is flowing; I tailor at bank, then teleport to sell to different NPC vendors.
Would be a bit more profitable, but I am still in the "robes skilling-up" range, so it's sub-par profits.

Good Luck !
-- François

Weigraf

Post by Weigraf »

One of the greatest reasons to play this game are newbied leather gloves... Each of my characters has scissors, hatchet, gloves, book, candle, sextant, bedroll dagger, appropriate practice weapon, including wooden shield for parry, and mage book. Not to mention the baller newbied half apron >=).

Here's a good one: tinker tools/newbied pick on a miner. Resurrect, mine 2 ore and your back in business. No need to run back to the house or bank box.

Get this done at the beginning of the game and think of how many hours of total UO time you will save not going to the tailor for scissors, the blacksmith for a hatchet/dagger and also think of the convenience of having a practice weapon directly after resurrection if you have not trained wrestle. That one hit that continually res kills you from that one annoying troll now has a lessened chance of even landing giving you countless extra hours over your UO lifetime to do other things.

Go Gloves.

Service Unknown

Weigraf wrote:One of the greatest reasons to play this game are newbied leather gloves... Each of my characters has scissors, hatchet, gloves, book, candle, sextant, bedroll dagger, appropriate practice weapon, including wooden shield for parry, and mage book. Not to mention the baller newbied half apron >=).

Here's a good one: tinker tools/newbied pick on a miner. Resurrect, mine 2 ore and your back in business. No need to run back to the house or bank box.

Get this done at the beginning of the game and think of how many hours of total UO time you will save not going to the tailor for scissors, the blacksmith for a hatchet/dagger and also think of the convenience of having a practice weapon directly after resurrection if you have not trained wrestle. That one hit that continually res kills you from that one annoying troll now has a lessened chance of even landing giving you countless extra hours over your UO lifetime to do other things.

Go Gloves.

Wow... I will NEVER look at gloves the same...

I just... This is mind blowing!