Blade Spirit Resist Bug

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

should the blade spirit resist trick be added to UOSA?

yes it should
28%
no way
72%

Total votes: 32

ClowN

Blade Spirit Resist Bug

Post by ClowN »

we all remember the old bug to gain resist off a blade spirit back in the day. true it was fixed before the end of t2a, but it DID exists for a while into the era. i think it should be added here. it would help new comers get onto the field faster, AND it is era accurate, so it wouldnt be straying away from the vision of this great shard. what does everyone else think?

Senses

Re: Blade Spirit Resist Bug

Post by Senses »

I put no, and this is why.

This server has alot going for it, but here's two things in particular for good or bad: Being a newbie is hard, and magic is very powerful.

Alot of people that make suggestions for changes reference making the game easier for people starting out. Why is this neccessary though? People who come to this server aren't looking for an easy time, and if they are, they leave very quickly because this era was a hard place. I've said it in many posts, but if your willing to make changes towards newbie friendliness in the first few hours of gameplay, you might as well introduce them throughout the whole game. If someone is going to quit because magic and magic resist are expensive, they will then just quit a week later when they see how many pks are on the server, or two weeks later when they see how easy it is to rob their person and their house, or their boat, or the million other ways that newbies are in danger. The game is hard, and the best skills (magic/resist) is expensive.

hai t2a

Post by hai t2a »

I disagree with this addition as well, skills are already easier to achieve than they were on OSI.

On a side note, some research should be put into gaining off AOE spells, or how it worked. I don't see why meteor swarm wouldn't have been exploited back on OSI as well, it surely would have worked the best as it works wonders here.

Jadow Valroth

Post by Jadow Valroth »

I also voted no, because that's just stupid. I don't think we should have any "era accurate bugs". If it was a bug, it wasn't actualy ment to be in the game, sure it's time period accurate, but in the end, it wasn't the way it was intended. I say, keep out, and remove as many "bugs" as possible.

Also, I don't remember MS being good for resist either, I actually remember gaining resist by getting on a boat, with two people healing with aids, and having a couple mages off the boat summoning deamons and having them attack you as being a good way of gaining resist.

Creager

Post by Creager »

Jadow Valroth wrote:Also, I don't remember MS being good for resist either, I actually remember gaining resist by getting on a boat, with two people healing with aids, and having a couple mages off the boat summoning deamons and having them attack you as being a good way of gaining resist.
This was big during UO:R, with the advantage of power hour.

Even though I wasn't aware of the blade-spirit bug until after T2A, I voted yes for simple nostalgia.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

i vote no. plus i doubt half the people here have any clue as to how this bug actually worked. it wasnt simply a cast blade spirit and let it attack you, there were things that had to be done and only certain places where this worked. it only lasted for maybe 2 weeks in t2a (could be wrong bout time).

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

this would open a can of worms of bugs,
if this bug goes in then then Wind resist bug has to go in, so guards cant work in Wind anymore either ect

vote Nos
i did abuse this bug plenty on osi tho :P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Badea

Post by Badea »

kill drizitz wrote:i vote no. plus i doubt half the people here have any clue as to how this bug actually worked. )
Hmmm, let me see if I remember. Any structure with a second floor (so obviously the two story house worked great), you had a friend cast BS on the first floor while you stayed on the second floor. You did all names and attacked the BS by going into warmode and double clicking the name. You then ran back and forth as fast as you could over the top the BS as it attacked you through the floor. Magic resists flew up.

If you were fast enough and didn't mind wasting time (and potential death) you could do it by yourself but having a friend there to help greatly sped up the process.

Which 50% am I in?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Towers were better. You can't target a summoned creature inside of a house. If you casted the blade off of the tower wing you could target the ground and attack the blade from there. Setting up boxes at the top would help you keep a constant track eliminating a possible divert from the line under the blade. Having a friend or two there to keep you healed helped significantly for faster gains.

Badea

Post by Badea »

Faust wrote:Towers were better. You can't target a summoned creature inside of a house. If you casted the blade off of the tower wing you could target the ground and attack the blade from there. Setting up boxes at the top would help you keep a constant track eliminating a possible divert from the line under the blade. Having a friend or two there to keep you healed helped significantly for faster gains.
Hmmm, I assure you that I never owned nor had access to a tower and I GM'ed Resists off a BS in a two story. What I don't remember is if we cast out the door and then pulled it in, but thinking back about it, I'm almost certain we simply cast them on the first floor. On that point, I could be wrong though.

Faust

Post by Faust »

It was possible no matter where you were if you had access to be on top of the bladespirit above its Z axis. I was just saying that towers were the best for this bug. :wink:

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i used the crypt in yew
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

well it seems the players have spoken. guess we wont be seeing this bug around UOSA anytime soon. i still think it would be a good idea, but i also understand and respect the other players opinions on the matter.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

yea u got it badea. i used the guard towers out of guards though, where it was easy to just cast it on the bottom floor and just run back and forth on the top of the ladders. im just pointing out that in reality, most people didnt use this bug.

i just dont understand why people are asking for something to be implimented that was clearly an exploit that osi needed to fix. its like asking for them to allow blackholes so we can dupe gold and rares and shit, just doesnt make any sense.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i dont think u can really compare an expoit for skill gain to gold/item duping. i would bet just about everyone here has at some point in their UO experience abused expoits to gain skills. thats just a part of the UO experience. duping on the other hand was the single biggest factor in ruining the economy of UO. obviously we wouldnt want something like that to happen again.

as far as skill gains go though (in this case resist), people are gonna obtain GM status one way or another if they want to compete with the rest of the shard. rather it be by casting flamestrike on yourself for 2 weeks, going to 3-4 of roadkills resist sessions, or by abusing a bug (like pretty much every veteran of this shard did when resist was able to be gained in town). i just think something like this would give the newer guys an easier way to catch up to the rest. and yes i understand UO is not supposed to be an easy game. no i dont want this bug added for any selffish reason as i already have gm resist on my PVPer. but i know alot of new people have been coming to this shard, and i would like to see more people on the field sooner. thats really it.

but obviously my opinion is different from most of the other players here, and i wouldnt want to see something added that the majority of the players dont agree with. just figured since the bug DID exist in this era, and i know some of us used it, i thought i would bring it up to see what everyone thinks.