Tank Mage vs dexxer strategy

Topics related to Second Age
Scienter

Tank Mage vs dexxer strategy

Post by Scienter »

I posted these in the guide section but I don't think a lot of people check that section so it's double posted. Hope you like them

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3
Thank you,

-Scienter
"The Great One"
FT$
PM me with reflect bracelets or charged halberds!
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

okgoace

Re: Tank Mage vs dexxer strategy

Post by okgoace »

I think its awesome that you provide videos for tutorials, group pvp, and duels.
It's too bad that your video making skills are sub-par at best with sub-par video capture.
Another angle would be to type out your so called strategy emphasizing on equipment, when to pot, when to toggle for cycles, etc.
Just a thought.

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

take this shit down

WOODY

Post by WOODY »

Good work, hope to see more videos in the future

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Honored that I was asked to be involved. Great videos man.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Rat Tail John

Post by Rat Tail John »

Good stuff!!!!!

liqui

Post by liqui »

Is this duel on UOSA? I had to add some other questions, what am I supposed to be learning about pvp here? (I am not trying to be sarcastic) To me when I watch I just see explosion potions for the win. I see mind blasts with the thought of the dexxer's low intelligence as a reason for choosing this spell (mind blast really came into its own for doing tremendous damage in UOR because mind blast in T2A did no where near the damage as it did in UOR) and a few harms to interrupt bandaid healing and possibly magical heals by the dexxer.

I am interested in seeing the stats, skill levels (I assume 7x gm), and skill sets of the characters. Also seeing the explosion potion macro set up since this appears to be a major part of your offense against the dexxer. Also some tidbits about weapon choices.

Again not trying to be or seem negative just interested to see what other pvpers are thinking.

okgoace

Post by okgoace »

liqui wrote:Is this duel on UOSA? I had to add some other questions, what am I supposed to be learning about pvp here? (I am not trying to be sarcastic) To me when I watch I just see explosion potions for the win. I see mind blasts with the thought of the dexxer's low intelligence as a reason for choosing this spell (mind blast really came into its own for doing tremendous damage in UOR because mind blast in T2A did no where near the damage as it did in UOR) and a few harms to interrupt bandaid healing and possibly magical heals by the dexxer.

I am interested in seeing the stats, skill levels (I assume 7x gm), and skill sets of the characters. Also seeing the explosion potion macro set up since this appears to be a major part of your offense against the dexxer. Also some tidbits about weapon choices.

Again not trying to be or seem negative just interested to see what other pvpers are thinking.
He's addicted to making the videos, not explaining them, i asked for this information above. Let me (*try*) to answer for him.

As a dexxer vs a tank mage you will want to carry
1 hand vanq poisoned weapon (set up a macro to equip/de-equip)
2 hand vanq/power poisoned weapon (set up a macro to equip/de-equip)
bandages (set up a macro to bandage self)
trapped pouches (5-10) (set up a use once macro)
potions
greater heal (set up a macro to drink/can drink with 1 handed weapon without disarming)
greater cure (set up a macro to drink/can drink with 1 handed weapon without disarming)
total refresh (set up a macro to drink/can drink with 1 handed weapon without disarming)
greater agility (set up a macro to drink/can drink with 1 handed weapon without disarming)
greater strength (set up a macro to drink/can drink with 1 handed weapon without disarming)
Explosion pots (set up a macro throw, or make a complex macro to throw after certain pause)
20-40 each reg
Reflection charged item (set up a macro to equip/de-equip)

I use macing on my dexxer so i typically will go qstaff for my 2h and a mace for my 1h, without the stamina drain, i prefer this class solo.
You may try any of them, i dont recommend archery.
Attacking guide is fairly simple, chug agility, strength before you engage. Attack with 1h weapon to gauge his abilities, this should hack him down, if you need to chug cures/heals/refresh when time and remember to bandage (set up a timer in razor for your titlebar).USE YOUR EXPLOSION POTIONS. If below 40% it may be wise to de-arm and cast gheal, if interrupted, mini heal two times and chug a heal potion and you'll be good.

As a tank mage vs a dexxer you will want to carry
2 hand vanq/power poisoned weapon (set up a macro to equip/de-equip)
trapped pouches (5-10) (set up a use once macro)
potions
greater heal (set up a macro to drink)
greater cure (set up a macro to drink)
total refresh (set up a macro to drink)
greater agility (set up a macro to drink)
greater strength (set up a macro to drink)
Explosion pots (set up a macro throw, or make a complex macro to throw after certain pause)
60-80 each reg
Reflection charged item (set up a macro to equip/de-equip)
GHeal wand

Attacking guide is a little more complex, chug agility, strength before you engage. Start with weaken/clumsy, if you believe your opponent is using GA,GS potions, double weaken, clumsy. You can hally cycle during this phase
weaken clumsy equip hally(hit) de-equip
weaken clumsy equip hally(hit) de-equip
You then have two options, to play defensive or aggressive
Defensive, should be self-explanitory.
If you drop below 50%, de-equip cast gheal on self, if interrupted cast mini heal, equip wand target self.
Aggressive options
Spell/Hally - small spells (harm, fireball) or bigger spells (explo,ebolt,'mindblast') cast, equip hally, dequip, target spell
Explo/Hally - cast Explosion, target, equip hally (havnt tested it here, so dont know if you can throw xp pots while armed)

Typical Dexxer
100 str/ 25-35 int/ 90-100 dex
Weapon skill
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Magery
Resist
Hiding/Tracking/Really anything.
Last edited by okgoace on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

liqui wrote:Is this duel on UOSA? I had to add some other questions, what am I supposed to be learning about pvp here? (I am not trying to be sarcastic) To me when I watch I just see explosion potions for the win. I see mind blasts with the thought of the dexxer's low intelligence as a reason for choosing this spell (mind blast really came into its own for doing tremendous damage in UOR because mind blast in T2A did no where near the damage as it did in UOR) and a few harms to interrupt bandaid healing and possibly magical heals by the dexxer.

Good questions - I'd be interested in knowing some of this stuff too!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

TOP TIER DEXXER!!
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Let me answer some of the questions and give some deeper insight.
liqui wrote:Is this duel on UOSA?
This was a duel for the express purpose of recording these videos. It takes place in an area known (to me) as the "Secret Room" which is under the dungeon Wrong.
To me when I watch I just see explosion potions for the win. I see mind blasts with the thought of the dexxer's low intelligence as a reason for choosing this spell
Some of the finer points covered include:

- The use of Reactive Armor to damage a dexer and hinder healing

- The use of Eval to gauge the INT of your adversary

- The fact that mindblast can be quite damaging to a dexer with low INT

- Mindblast ignores magic reflect

- Magic reflect bounces spells from charged weapons
Don't macro your explosion potions. There are many reasons not to that I don't feel like detailing here, but it's much better to target them manually.

My dexer doesn't fit the mold of most on the shard. I have no poisoning, which is the first differentiator. The template is:

GM Swords, Tact, Anat, Heal, Resist, Parry, and 50 hiding/50 mage. Stats are currently 100/98/27. I had recently adjusted them form 100/91/34 because I've been toying with hally cycling on that toon. 91 dex will give you the fastest possible swing speed for a broadsword and any weapon that shares its speed. Any more dex is useless other than to provide a cushion against stam loss and clumsy. However, the higher INT is fantastic against mindblast, so most good dexers will adjust their stats to provide the greatest number of swings while still providing some insulation from mindblast damage.

To be honest, poison is likely the better choice than parry, but I didn't have the resources when I made the toon and just haven't gotten around to making the switch. The reason I opted for parry over another configuration of skills (gm hiding, gm mage, etc)was to limit the damage from a tank mage's hally hits. Against a lesser opponent then Scienter, I would cycle my shield on and off to correlate with the tank's hally cycle.
okgoace wrote: As a dexxer vs a tank mage you will want to carry...
My equipment list as a dexer always includes:

- A suit of fort or invuln armor

- 1 handed and 2 handed weapons of no less than 20 power/15 vanq. 20 vanq or better is where the money is.

- A ghoul's touch weapon

- A demon's breath or lightning charged weapon [damage and tact mods matter less here. higher the better, but the ability to disrupt a mage's timing is almost more critical than the damage boost]

- An invis RING [ring is key because you don't waste item delay time toggling it off]

- A ring of teleportation

- A reflect item

- A greater heal wand

- A lightning wand

- About 80 potions, 15 yellow, 10 orange, 15 red, 8 blue, 8 white, 20 purple

- No less than 9 trapped pouches, usually more on the order of 12-15 because retrapping with no med is a pain

- Reflect scrolls, recall scrolls

- Optional/Given poison pots, fort or better shield, regs, bandys

I know I'm equipped right when I can't loot a damn thing because I've reached the 125 item limit :P
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Higher dex allows the wearing of more pieces of plate armor without much hindrance. Especially on female characters whose armor also protects the arms as well as body it is to your advantage to wear it with plate leggings as the majority of the hits will be to your body and extremities. Most dexxer suits consist of plate gloves, gorgets with chain, I would rather have plate on the torso and legs and wear ring gloves and studded gorget. Unless they changed it so the chainmail coif also covers the neck area (which it should as you cannot wear a gorget with it). Preference really if so do you want a better overall coverage or a well protected head and vulnerable neck or just take the minor dex loss from a plate gorget?
Against mages I would not start using a two handed weapon until you have them on the defensive especially with parry. Being Explosion potions are absorbed by AR with parry you can constantly spam them even on top of your opponent. Alot of time is wasted cycling your hally when it is assumed they have plenty of mana. The delay is certain to allow them to g-heal and chug a potion on the run soon after even redlined. The technique of instahit works better for mages or eval dexxers because it allows for two big hits in succession, one from magery the other from the halberd without any delay.

http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/armor.html
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

I advise everyone who actually wants to learn something to do themselves a favor and ignore archaic...
archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Most dexxer suits consist of plate gloves
None do. All dex suits are ring gloves.
Unless they changed it so the chainmail coif also covers the neck area (which it should as you cannot wear a gorget with it).
Do you even play UO? You can absolutely wear any gorget with a chain coif. Been that way since 97.
Preference really if so do you want a better overall coverage or a well protected head and vulnerable neck or just take the minor dex loss from a plate gorget?
Plate gorget is -1 dex, so nothing earth shattering. However, the AR gain is fairly minimal as well, with 2 additional AR for a fort or invuln plate gorget over a similarly modded studded gorget.
Against mages I would not start using a two handed weapon until you have them on the defensive especially with parry.
I blend a few different strategies depending on opponent. Sometimes I won't have reflect up and I'll bandage between a mage's initial harm and their weaken spell. In that case, I'll lead off with my hally and either cycle it or switch to a one hander depending on whether or not the hally connects or wiffs. If it hits, I'll cycle it and keep them on the ropes. If it misses I'll likely opt for the 1 hander so that I can start buffing with potions and start a purple ticking.

The other beginning strategy is to start with the one hander and drink a strength pot right away so you can bandage. The trick in either case is to start a bandage going as soon as possible.
Alot of time is wasted cycling your hally when it is assumed they have plenty of mana. The delay is certain to allow them to g-heal and chug a potion on the run soon after even redlined.
There's a trade off in using the technique for sure. You're practically maxing out the item delay timer, so you'd need to break cycle in order to bandage, use a tele charge, or equip a reflect piece. It also leaves you exposed for a second and a half, but, if you're hitting, the mage is going to have bigger worries than maintaining his own swing timer. Also, unless they're real quick, I can disrupt a greater heal by hally cycling on my dexer and, as you can see by the first screenshot, mini heal isn't enough to offset the ungodly rate of damage.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

There is made mention of the coif being made to cover the neck area as well I seen in other threads my first time around. I never used them because I thought they did not cover the neck and so were pretty much useless being helms provide better head protection. If they did cover the neck it would be a great trade off.

And yes you could have disrupted just as quickly the greater heal without the second to disarm the wrestling timer to prime and the second to rearm, but like I said it's good to finish with when they are low on mana and forced to mini heal. It's not something you would use constantly.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Scienter

Post by Scienter »

Hello Everyone,

I will be brief on an explanation then get back to the more important and original topic.

I had an opportunity to play here for a brief time and enjoyed it. I'm starting a new and awesome job here very soon that will require me to work days, nights, and weekends in the best city in the world. With that said, I want to pass down all of the potential pvp related knowledge that I can before my departure.

With that said I have the following videos still left to post:

-Fundamentals such as tabbing/Hally timing/Fast Cast
-Hotkeys/Purple Potions/Razor Tricks and options
-1 v 1 tank mage dueling/strategy
-1 v 1 Tank mage vs Dexxer Strategy....Check this one off, thanks Malaikat!
-Team Fielding/Strategy

The green text requires another individual(s) participation in order to make the video appealing, otherwise I have to use stools and chairs as x's and o's.

With that in mind, is anybody interested in putting their quarralsome's aside and assisting me in making the video guides to the related color'd text videos?

It would require almost immediate participation, I'm departing from the game this Friday evening.

Participation in these videos act as a great contribution to the shard outside of actually donating money, and I encourage people to participate.

Thank you guys in advance!
Thank you,

-Scienter
"The Great One"
FT$
PM me with reflect bracelets or charged halberds!
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com