Define why you game.

Topics related to Second Age
okgoace

Define why you game.

Post by okgoace »

Taken from reddit -> http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comm ... at/c8zwkj1

First of all, one important consideration is that people play games for fundamentally different reasons, depending on their personality, motivations, and current mood.

Marc LeBlanc has written and lectured extensively about game design philosophy, and he categorizes games and game enjoyment under "8 Kinds of Fun":

•Sensation - Game as sense-pleasure
•Fantasy - Game as make-believe
•Narrative - Game as unfolding story
•Challenge - Game as obstacle course

•Fellowship - Game as social framework
•Discovery - Game as uncharted territory
•Expression - Game as soap box
•Submission - Game as mindless pastime
Any one game can provide multiple different kinds of fun, either simultaneously or alternating with the pacing of the gameplay, but in general games tend to be primarily focused around 2 or 3 of these.

The kinds of games you are talking about are ones where the main motivation behind the gameplay is problem solving, developing new mental models to approach unique challenges, and then mastering those challenges. For me, and I suspect many of us who would consider ourselves more "serious" gamers, that ability to stretch your mind, set goals, and then accomplish them is incredibly rewarding and leaves you feeling smarter, mentally sharper, and just plain satisfied in a job well done.

I like to think of challenge-oriented games as being like a mental testing ground. In real life, when you try and fail, when you compete against others and lose, there are real consequences. We are innately wired to try and avoid those kinds of negative outcomes. This can either result in powerful motivation to succeed, or paralyzing fear of consequences which result in inaction.

In gaming, however, there are no real, tangible consequences for failure, unless you're a pro-gamer or something. Thus, I feel free to fully engage this competitive mental space knowing that I can go all-out, and if that's not good enough, nothing will happen. It's like a testing ground for mental strength and endurance, that I feel carries over into real-world benefits. It helps me better understand my own mind, what drives me to succeed and what holds me back. If I spend a Sunday engaged in intense Starcraft ladder practice, I come back to work the next week feeling more motivated, I have better multitasking, and it's easier to stay cool under stressful circumstances.

Not everyone understands this, or plays games with this kind of mindset however. Hell, even the most competitive of us sometimes just want to play an easy mindless game as a way to disconnect and unwind after a long day, pursuing fun through Fantasy, Sensation, or Submission instead of Challenge.

OP, perhaps it would help if you think about your wife's personality and which of these 8 Kinds of Fun she tends to value in her own leisure activities. That may help you find games that better match up to the kinds of experiences she will really enjoy. Perhaps that means a co-op game that gives the two of you a chance to work together and to interact, or maybe she would enjoy a simple game that is primarily story driven instead of challenge oriented.

As you read through this, im curious to know, how would you rate and define UO using these points above ?

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Define why you game.

Post by Abyz »

I play for fun, not to read essays. ;)
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

indeed i play games for fun not to read essays ty abyz:P

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

okgoace

Post by okgoace »

Abyz wrote:I play for fun, not to read essays. ;)
liinniejj wrote:indeed i play games for fun not to read essays ty abyz:P
So for sensation and submission. Thanks for input.

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

I play to be a jerk on the internet

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I play because it's cheap entertainment that has practically no negative health impacts, aside from lack of physical exertion. I get plenty of exersize moving around at work, playing with my kids and running the dog/riding my mountain bike.

If I had the money I would be in the woods hunting with a bow and sword all the time and living in a stone keep on top of a mountain, beast.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Millerisfuntoplay wrote:I play to be a jerk on the internet
^
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

nightfishing

Post by nightfishing »

I do it for the chicks.
[23:59] <notorious> STFU NAPKIN YOURE NEW
[23:59] <[napkin]> lol
[23:59] <notorious> STOP NAMEDROPPING

Pac

Post by Pac »

to grief

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think Expression is the beginning of it all in a lot of games that offer a more personalized avatar. When you put yourself into making a character it becomes more personal like almost parenting or developing an alter ego.

But to Express that to its fullest it must be impacted in finding fun in these other areas. But you will find a lot of people will get emotionally involved with their character more so when they have a greater hand in creating them.

This can be contrary though like in shooters where you have such a detachment you fullfill the role of the avatar and replace it with you personally. I think most modern shooters combine both aspects. Where skills and weapons are interchangeable but not so much they need to remain static...creating a versatile generic ensemble based on personal preferences that is more in line with your play style to compliment your personality or even mood at the time of playing.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Galendae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Galendae »

Gank, grief, get, Glory!

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Blaise wrote: If I had the money I would be in the woods hunting with a bow and sword all the time and living in a stone keep on top of a mountain, beast.
This plus fishing at the nearby fresh water lake ;)
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Ganklord

Post by Ganklord »

Generally, I Play For The Thrill.
Last edited by Ganklord on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason- wrote:It's not just you. I want to punch a baby after reading his sentences.
okgoace wrote:dont spend too much time with this ganklord character, he is the ultimate griefer, lurker, troll.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

WiseOne wrote:
Blaise wrote: If I had the money I would be in the woods hunting with a bow and sword all the time and living in a stone keep on top of a mountain, beast.
This plus fishing at the nearby fresh water lake ;)
I forgot to mention holding fisherman at swordpoint to get variety in my diet.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

so i can pretend to be a girl and dress up