Reflect charge error on jewelery/clothing

Topics related to Second Age
Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Reflect charge error on jewelery/clothing

Post by Taboo »

Derrick wrote:
hiicha wrote:Not sure if this is belongs here or in Era-accuracy, but I just did some testing and noticed magic jewelry/cloth items like strength or night sight only provide spell charges which last exactly one minute, instead of two.

Should clothing and jewelry charges be lasting two minutes like their counterpart spells do?
Aye, this is incorrect. These spells should vary in length as spells do, using a fixed value for magery just like wands, and harmful based on magic resist as well.

Also we're aware that nightsight is only supposed to expire on each morning, but haven't had a chance to fix this.

Thanks!

Reflect charged items are currently being depleted extremely fast.
Whyyyyyy.....?

I just can't find any information as to why this is. Its really annoying to have to HURRY and take an item off because if you accidentally leave it on for a minute its completely used up. Despite the fact the item hasnt actually, for example, reflected anything.
Invisibility, Bless, and Protection charges seem to be just as ridiculous as well.... but a little different.

400 gp a charge.... hurry up and take it off otherwise those 55 charges (22k) will be 12 charges QUICK. :roll:

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Reflect charge error on jewelery/clothing

Post by Taboo »

:idea:

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is actually accurate to the era. Reflect charges were used up once every 5 seconds during the era. This is due to the way that the script is written for using up charges. You can see more information on time in the UO and its relation to the reflect charges here.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

sorry, im in a rush... but that is just a link to explain uo to real life formula.

Reflect is forever until it is struck by a spell.

Is there a link to explain why this shouldn't be true?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That link describes UO time as it relates to real time. At the bottom of the first post, Batlin says the following:
2) on time<"min:**">() = event thrown every UO minute or every 20 ticks or every ±5 human seconds
This particular line is the relevant line for reflect items, which contain the following code in the demo script for wearrflct:

Code: Select all

#on time<"min:**">()
{
Every 5 seconds, this code will check to see if you have charges left on the item you're wearing, subtract one charge, and re-apply the reflect spell to your character. This has two distinct effects. If your character already has the reflect spell on them, the spell will be kept up. If you have had your reflect spell used up by a previous spell, this will re-apply the reflect spell for you.

Ultimately, this means that reflect items use up their charges very quickly.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Razor -> Arm/Dress -> Add (Reflect Item) -> Add Target -> (Target reflect item) -> Hotkeys -> Dress Menu -> Toggle (Reflect Item)
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Are the charges on weapons supposed to be based on your magery skill? Shouldnt they act like wands/gnarled staffs with a set magery skill to them?

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Malaikat wrote:Razor -> Arm/Dress -> Add (Reflect Item) -> Add Target -> (Target reflect item) -> Hotkeys -> Dress Menu -> Toggle (Reflect Item)
Back off, i know how to toggle my reflect item via hotkeys. I have been doing so longer than you tbh.
Derrick wrote:Aye, this is incorrect. These spells should vary in length as spells do, using a fixed value for magery just like wands, and harmful based on magic resist as well.
Where is the information that states reflect charges on jewelery/clothing acts differently then the reflect spell itself, which is permenant until broken with a spell?

I have been looking and I can't find it anywhere.

If coding for other spell charges has been altered because it didn't emulate the actual spell.... Why not reflect?
Last edited by Taboo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The information for the behavior of reflect charges on clothing comes from the demo scripts.

Edit: Also Derrick's statement about charged jewelry providing scaled effects based on the fixed magery values is incorrect. All charged items should use charges once every 50 seconds, with the exception of reflect which is every 5 seconds.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

...... but the demo script has changed for the other spell charges? Including nightsight lasting until "morning" to emulate the real nightsight spell? Why wouldn't a spell reflect charge last until it was hit by a spell?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, that should not be the case either. Night sight should only last as long as you have charges on your clothing, and should be removed as soon as you remove the clothing or you run out of charges. Wearing an item effect is handled in an entirely different fashion than actually casting the spell such as with wands and weapon hits.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Just so you're aware, nearly all of our functions regarding charged items on clothing is incorrect. This is something that we've known about for quite some time, and is something that we need to fix. Currently, equipping a piece of clothing treats it as if you cast that spell. This is not how this was handled through the demo scripts, which handles these effects very differently.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Taboo wrote:
Malaikat wrote:Razor -> Arm/Dress -> Add (Reflect Item) -> Add Target -> (Target reflect item) -> Hotkeys -> Dress Menu -> Toggle (Reflect Item)
Back off, i know how to toggle my reflect item via hotkeys.
Wow, 2009? I figured you must be new here because you really don't want to be snide to me.
I have been doing so longer than you tbh.
To be honest, I don't even know who the hell you are, and, unless you've been a leet ass pvper since beta, I doubt it. Best of luck with your bitch-fest. You burned up a reflect item, dude. Let it go.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

*EDIT: took out some content out of respect for Kaivan*

shut up malakait. you idiot, your ego is really zero impressive. your input was 0 necessary and i will own your loser thread side tracking ass while toggling a reflect item on any one of my pvp chars.
go talk that BS to a new player because i was toggling reflect items in battle TWO YEARS before you even started here.

I'm snide. now what? Go away.

My question was answered.

---------------------------------

Thank you Kaivan, but i will be looking into this. ....Derrick was wrong?
I'm going to be looking into whether or not jewelery charges are suppose to emulate spells or have their own set of rules.
Thanks again :)

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Taboo wrote:....Derrick was wrong?
As surprising as this may be to hear, Derrick is not omnipotent. In this case, our implementation of the mechanics surrounding charged items is simply wrong.