Housing or Lack of

Topics related to Second Age
Sadistik

Housing or Lack of

Post by Sadistik »

i know this has been gone over 1435234564573456 times but as a new player who is addicted alll over again after 7 years of not playing.... i encourage the richer people to sell off the never used patios bricks lshapes etc you know you dont use em and us new folk well its hard as hell to live in smalls while trying to convince rl friends to play and live in my awsome stone house.... now im not whining about players bein able to own 15 im sayin help a new player out by selling some medium houses at fair market and not let it be blown up by other rich relastate tycoons

im pretty sure the more people playing here for most of you would generate more money anyways and i personally have had 2 friends say nah when i told em they wouldnt be able to get a house that wasnt 1 bachelor pad for a long time

thank you for reading my horrible display of ongoin sentences and lack of punctuation and lets face it horrible spelling

ps if anyone reading this wants to sell me a place at fair market let me know in here or irc as Sadistik
Dyx, Your Local Housing Relocation Guild!
Here to sell you housing without the stiff prices!

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Housing or Lack of

Post by Budner »

I walked around the mainland, just the mainland, a couple of weeks ago and found EIGHT spots for small houses, just sitting there for the taking.

Moreover an average small can be bought for deed + 10k/20k max.

As for larger houses/towers/keeps, everybody who owns 1 or more of these has earned it through a LOT of play.

I think there's plenty of room for new players. But there shouldn't be any expectation that housing is something to be taken for granted - that would actually WEAKEN the allure of the shard IMO.

"Fair Market" is the price at which the market clears. So an L-shape or patio or brick is going to be roughly 2x deed, which is roughly where the market clears these days. These larger houses SHOULD NOT be easily available to a new player.

Earn it ...... it'll be fun.

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

It doesn't take that long to make gold for a large house here.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Ok for the two posts above me, I think you missed the point.

He is asking for the people hoarding Large unused houses to actually sell them. He is not asking for people to up and redeed.
I would have to agree with the OP as there are tons of larger homes completely unused and ones I'm sure people just sign in with the home owner just to refresh.

Downs

Post by Downs »

this is not sarcastically toned. Have you checked the housing forum? The following is all the large house listings from page 1 and the oldest thread on page 1 is from 10 days ago.

Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47936
Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47915
L-Shape viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47918
Tower viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47508
Keep viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47511
Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47701
L-Shape viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47631
Patio viewtopic.php?f=72&t=47528

Some people do just refresh, but there are plenty of people selling larger houses on a regular basis. In some instances, its deed+small or 2 small which is a very fair price for an already placed home.

If you find a specific house you want, you can contact the owner; or you can make a WTB thread and have the sellers come to you.

I've dealt with Vega and advanced1 in larger house purchases. either are great to deal with if you find they have a house you want.
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

faber

Post by faber »

Home prices have been higher recently, but that's to be expected with a higher pop. Save your cash and you can buy whatever you want eventually.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

It is daunting at first. But as said above, stack that gold up and eventually you'll be surprised how fast you can afford something larger.

Then eventually, you'll downsize and spend 2,000,000 Gold on a small brick surrounded by mountains. :lol:
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

faber

Post by faber »

inkognito wrote:It is daunting at first. But as said above, stack that gold up and eventually you'll be surprised how fast you can afford something larger.

Then eventually, you'll downsize and spend 2,000,000 Gold on a small brick surrounded by mountains. :lol:
So true. Eo's house is epic.

However with that said, the 25 lockdowns will get annoying when you want to display all of your trammel pixels.

Thus begins a viscious cycle: save, buy, sell, save, buy, sell...ad inifinitum. Gotta love digital consumerism and the pursuit of fame.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

a mexican wrote:Ok for the two posts above me, I think you missed the point.

He is asking for the people hoarding Large unused houses to actually sell them. He is not asking for people to up and redeed.
I would have to agree with the OP as there are tons of larger homes completely unused and ones I'm sure people just sign in with the home owner just to refresh.
I understood his point. OP was asking for sale of these homes at "fair value", i.e. the value HE thinks is fair. These homes are for sale regularly - 2-3 per day maybe. I'm just not sympathetic to his request for, effectively, a discount because he wants a larger house. Go out, earn the gold, and buy one.

Better yet, work the game dynamics in your favor. Earn gold, buy real estate and sell it for a profit. Or sit on as an investment.

If you have a single decent character you can easily farm a patio deed in a few days. It's just not that hard.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

a mexican wrote:Ok for the two posts above me, I think you missed the point.

I also am sympathetic to his point. But this is the nature of a game. The nature of the game is to hoard. Hoard housing, land, items, regs, rares...get em all and then get more of them. So the "unused' housing is nothing more to some people then "unused" rares sitting in someone's courtyard of their castle. To ask some people to sell their Lshaps and patios and towers they took years to accumulate is asking ALOT. It takes more than a smile to get some people to sell. They are only doing what is natural progression in the game.

Now your objective (if you are on the outside looking in) is to build enough wealth to either inspire them to get up off their throne of riches and land (the trade forum is a nice place for this), or acquire your own by other means.
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

The other day I offered to sell 3 smalls, immediately adjacent to each other, for 4x deed. Arguably that is comparable, or at least in the neighborhood, to owning a large house. There were no takers. So the market spoke.

And daily I see at least 1-2 postings for a large house, tower or larger, generally around 2x deed unless it's in a special location.

So is there really a big housing shortage? Or a shortage of big houses? I don't see it.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Budner wrote:The other day I offered to sell 3 smalls, immediately adjacent to each other, for 4x deed. Arguably that is comparable....
I realize you said arguably, so I'll argue a little :wink: Surely trying to mange 3 houses (even if right next door to each other) is not as easy for "newer" players. And that's what we are talking about here right? Newer players to the server vs the (larger) house hoarders? This era had all sorts of pitfalls for home owners. Owning one larger place vs 3 smalls seems more manageable for newer players, imo.

But then again, how new are you if you can now afford 4 smalls or a large? Obviously in comparison you're wayyyy behind the vets, but by getting this far you show you can make some coin.

Anyways, I'm newer here and was able to quickly afford my small, but now my roadblock has been how to spend/save my gold. Caught between buying resources for training or saving for that larger place and it does kind of suck to know that I have to save 2x as much (or even much more, usually) as the deed for the house I may want, because there are a bunch of people that have unused houses.

Also, I looked at the houses posted by Downs and it just goes to show you the difference between having enough money for a small (being new) and affording something bigger. Most of those places (not even counting the towers) were 2x deed+.

But I'm saving and eventually I'll have one :)

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

The burden of maintaining/refreshing 3 adjacent smalls is as little as 15 seconds a week, let's be honest. But yes on balance I'd prefer a large house vs. 3 smalls, mainly since you get 5 secure containers vs. 3. Otherwise I'd actually rather have 3 small houses assuming they're adjacent.

BTW I placed, didn't buy, my only tower on the shard, less than a year ago, and not from an IDOC. I also placed a large brick. In fact I've never actually purchased a house from another player. It can be done.

However I'll admit that I have little hope of actually placing a large house or an L-shape these days. So I'll have to buy large properties like everyone else.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Hi Budner, I guess I meant more along the lines of home security, checking each house, securing & locking down, are they all locked or one open, etc. Not really a big deal, I know, but again I'm arguing for newer players who, like me, may not remember all the details of how this stuff works and are more prone to making a mistake.

Also, everyone talks about how quick/easy it is to make money and afford one of these larger homes, but again... the new guy may not know or remember the best places to hunt or the tips for making the hunt easier. They are also going to be more vulnerable to PKs. I realize it is all part of the learning experience and a harder learning curve in UO, but I'm just trying to remind all these "old timers" :wink: it's not as easy when you are just coming back after 7-10+ years away.

Believe me, in my head I was a PvP hero on Napa Valley, but I'm not fooling myself here... I don't remember how to do it and the adrenalin rush I get from seeing some red names messes me up to the point that even if I did remember how, I'd still die easy, lol.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Budner wrote:The burden of maintaining/refreshing 3 adjacent smalls is as little as 15 seconds a week, let's be honest. But yes on balance I'd prefer a large house vs. 3 smalls, mainly since you get 5 secure containers vs. 3. Otherwise I'd actually rather have 3 small houses assuming they're adjacent.

BTW I placed, didn't buy, my only tower on the shard, less than a year ago, and not from an IDOC. I also placed a large brick. In fact I've never actually purchased a house from another player. It can be done.

However I'll admit that I have little hope of actually placing a large house or an L-shape these days. So I'll have to buy large properties like everyone else.
I think its a matter of preference. But I def would prefer one house with one security system to worry about then to go thru three houses of stuff with security to bypass. Its the simple annoyance of it that makes me lean towards one vs three. For me, it would have nothing to do with storage perks. But that's just my style.

Also...NO chance placing anything bigger than a small these days without camping an IDOC or catching someone slippin' and placing while they are trying to move their neigborhood around. There's plenty of land for smalls out there. But someone has to pack up and leave space vacant for you to actually find any larger plots right now. And I've noticed that "house hunters" nowadays are pretty ravenous.
Inkognito●GM Provocation