Anybody ever have a thief made like this?

Topics related to Second Age
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Anybody ever have a thief made like this?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Macing
Wrestling
Resist
Magery
Meditation
Snooping
Stealing

It just dawned on me that this is probably one of the best thief builds one could have outside of town.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

faber

Re: Anybody ever have a thief made like this?

Post by faber »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Macing
Wrestling
Resist
Magery
Meditation
Snooping
Stealing

It just dawned on me that this is probably one of the best thief builds one could have outside of town.
I would miss Tactics. ;(

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Yeah, but if the aim is just to steal it's a good way to go. It makes it harder to get a count too.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

no, noone has ever made a thief like that, with good reason
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

The only weapon skill you should ever have on a character without tactics is wrestling. You can't even poison a mace! There really is no reason to do that, the stamina-depleting effect of it is mostly pointless in modern-classic UO.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I was going to parody this, but nothing will ever top the Cat Box Miner.

Pro

Post by Pro »

gotta always dex or you give mages a chance to burst you down, can't keep dexxing if u gotta cast heal. Dexer's will have higher dex and not need to disarm to heal, they gun' reap choo.

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

is it a must to have anat with healing?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I am talking about using the macing skill just for wands primarily, the stam damage just to pin them in or something is secondary. It's not damage I am looking for it's healing quickly without having to wait out a timer and without risk of being interrupted. A wand of greater heal, and greater heal potions can keep you up to where you need to be while you are being pummeled. Against mages perhaps an offensive wand would just be for interrupt if they are trying to cast big on you or recall. If they know you are a thief they know you aren't going to kill them right away anyway...scare tactics aren't going to work.

My philosophy is that to steal the most you can effectively you have to be on top of them and keep their packs open as much as possible and the best way to do that is constantly stay on top of them. You don't want to pause to heal all the time though its certainly an option to heal with magery and you don't want a bandage timer to suffer through. Items are the best bet to achieve this as they are useable while mobile and their effectiveness does not lessen or are otherwise nullified while in combat.

It's very possible to brave dungeons and even farm with this alongside friends as well. It is not a townie or made for nab and run. It's made to stand your ground.

If you can stick it out and nab regs or bandages it is possible to kill shortly after the criminal timer
using 7th circle, wands, and pots.

What this is would be considered a Rope-A-Dope type that wears them out in them trying to kill you as you nab their junk. A mob unit of thieves three or more made like this in a highwaymen mob squad would be most annoying even though one could stand alone by himself. I could envision 3 of these lead by a 5 X mage thief General. That would be awesome. You could control all of the Yew Vendor area or PVM hotspots.

How is a stealth thief superior let me ask you? He either stays in town or nabs something and runs for dear life.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Or you could just make a Red...

I like your thinking outside the box though. Would be fun to run one of these when bored.
Last edited by inkognito on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

For a thief I'd rather:

GM Stealing
GM Snoooping
GM Stealthing
GM Wrestling
GM Resist
GM Hiding
50+ Magery

Maybe sub healing for resist.

100 STR
100 DEX
25 INT

Having a weapons skill on a thief isn't worth it. I think you need anatomy and tactics to make weapons work. The point is to be invisible and escape. If you're fighting, you're probably screwed.

Plus I can't imagine a very effective thief without stealth.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

You are screwed if you dont have the countless g-heal wands from liches and greater heal pots.
Setting dex to 50 you can dupe up to 70 ...which if you were using wands or quarterstaff is plenty to give a mage a headache (stamina damage not physical damage). 95 (115) strength, 50 (70) dex, 80 intelligence is really all you need since magery is primarily used for healing until you nab runes, regs, potions, bandages etc and wait out the criminal timer. Then you can start going offensive like I said and there are ways to do that without having damage modifying skills.

Making a red is fine if they don't recall, if they think they can beat you they will stick around. Stealth is a pain unless you have people just standing there and then you have the disadvantage of being on foot. As far as hiding goes there is the invisible spell and items if you really need to hide and think you can get away with doing so. There is an advantage in hiding prior to however in setting the pack macro, which you can do anyway if you are nimble enough.

There is little difference between this and a 5X mage thief, except the 5X is a bit more offensive but when he is on the defense he must break to heal...which leaves the target time to either dump or run, or in the case of a dexxer try to kick your butt while you look for the moment to cast. You can use wands on the run without macing but again you have a greater risk of the pack gump closing doing so as you want to keep distance. In the case of multiple packs opened this can be a nuisance.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Best "PVP thief" I've used on UOSA is..

100 Macing
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Hiding
100 Stealing
100 Snooping

I've used this character to kill some of the better PVPers that have come and gone over the years. Gear up like a dexer, learn how to properly steal while engaged in battle, and you'll beat anyone not using a lockbox or a layered storage (at least 3 levels deep) system in a field environment.

I've used the same tactic over and over again...

Steal runes
Steal root
Steal silk
Own face

Pro Tip: Ask a player to "hit their rune" and scoop it up with scavenger agent. You're now 1 step closer to winning. When people lose all options to recall out, you've got a good advantage and can just jack their goods while they run to the exit, or run around waiting for a gate from a pal.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Dude how can you live with zero magery? I just cannot function in-game without a little magic.