as bard question

Topics related to Second Age
okgoace

as bard question

Post by okgoace »

Peacemaking or resistspells? Which is a better pick and what are you reasons for why?

Pirul

Re: as bard question

Post by Pirul »

Resist, as it might just allow you that extra time to be able to recall out from PK's. Peace really only works on mobs, and mobs are pretty stupid, so you should be able to outsmart them without peace.

That's just my opinion.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Duul al'Vath
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Duul al'Vath »

Assuming you already have wrestling, I am going to say resist. Peace only lasts as long as it takes for mobs to re-aggro on you. Resist will serve you much better in more situations.

Thelonious Black and Otmar the Mad of the UBB
Arms & Armor by Thelonious Black

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

My first character here (only a month old or so) is a provocation/mage. She has been pretty good to me so far and not once have I wished I would have chosen Peacemaking. However, I wish I had more resist :lol:

Since it was my first character, I didn't have a house and trained magery in town (no resist gain). Wish I would have bought a place first. Oh well!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

karttoon

Post by karttoon »

I've been enjoying peacemaking a lot on my bard. These are the scenarios I find it useful -

1) Peace then recall.
2) Looting a fallen monster in a 2 mob fight where the other has large amounts of health and might not be worth killing off with spells without being hit.
3) Escape from PK's. Obviously they can just retarget but if you time it right it can buy you a second. Arguably, if you're worried about PK's then being geared right is essential (reflect up, invis item, pouches, pots, etc). For example, you may run into a large group of monsters, peace, invis item so they aggro PK, then recall. I'm more worried about survival on my bard since I'm just using him to make money.
4) Ease of training. Unless you're already 6x and working on finishing up resist, it can fill a role for a time while you train up. 0-100 Peace doesn't take very long and, if nothing else, will give you an opportunity to trial it.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Good point Karttoon, in that Peacemaking is easy to get skill in, so you could try it out, if you haven't already started working Resist.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

okgoace

Post by okgoace »

at 50 resist /doing magery in town - will be going resist as i typically have no issues with single monsters. I was just interested in the peace/recall thing but in actuality, my hotkey is fairly easy to hit.

karttoon

Post by karttoon »

I think it's also highly dependent upon where you farm. A place like Hyloth that's overrun with monsters and little room to run versus a place like Destard that may be wide open. Peace can work wonders if you get stuck in a tight corner of Hyloth with 5 mobs on you whereas it makes little sense when you can run for screens without constraint in Destard and a sole dragon on your tail.

At the end of the day, I feel it's better suited for PvM but if you have any intention of PvP, Resist will probably serve you better.

Greenhell

Post by Greenhell »

Between those 2, resist is the better choice.

Between Eval Intel and Peacemaking I think Peace is better. Not going to be killing anyone on your bard with just magery, and killing mobs with spells is a waste of regs. I don't think Eval is a good use of 100 points in a Bard template.

Peace is useful tho, I use it to chase away looters and PKs from time to time. It offers a lot of control. I can walk around in the ugliest areas completely untouched and do whatever. Very underated and useful skill imo.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Greenhell wrote:Between those 2, resist is the better choice.

Between Eval Intel and Peacemaking I think Peace is better. Not going to be killing anyone on your bard with just magery, and killing mobs with spells is a waste of regs. I don't think Eval is a good use of 100 points in a Bard template.

Peace is useful tho, I use it to chase away looters and PKs from time to time. It offers a lot of control. I can walk around in the ugliest areas completely untouched and do whatever. Very underated and useful skill imo.
Doesn't peacemaking stop all combat, even mobs against would be griefers/PKs? I guess I don't see it being better than Eval, but to each their own.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

Djinn_Voodoo

Post by Djinn_Voodoo »

karttoon wrote:I've been enjoying peacemaking a lot on my bard. These are the scenarios I find it useful -

1) Peace then recall.
2) Looting a fallen monster in a 2 mob fight where the other has large amounts of health and might not be worth killing off with spells without being hit.
3) Escape from PK's. Obviously they can just retarget but if you time it right it can buy you a second. Arguably, if you're worried about PK's then being geared right is essential (reflect up, invis item, pouches, pots, etc). For example, you may run into a large group of monsters, peace, invis item so they aggro PK, then recall. I'm more worried about survival on my bard since I'm just using him to make money.
4) Ease of training. Unless you're already 6x and working on finishing up resist, it can fill a role for a time while you train up. 0-100 Peace doesn't take very long and, if nothing else, will give you an opportunity to trial it.

hands down PEACE!! the abilty to control mobs is such a benefactor that resist will never touch.

worried about pks? let me tell ya as a bard put peace in you recall macro...

if pks are going to get yah it usuaally in two to threes and you resist isnt going to keep up anyhow!! besides spell refelction will give you the added sec to recall along with inc. names and totall awarenessyou can make so much more gold using peace skill then using resist!!!! BTW you have wittenessed it first hand !!! like to see you handle those wyverns with gm resist ...cant resist being bitten with GM posion now can you.. ( this comment reflects first had xp and 1 mill gold made using gmed provo/peace/magery/med/stealth/hiding/music)

Voodoo

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Depends on your playstyle. I could make an argument for having made millions with resist because I can stand mana dumps from twin balrons, and can get away from pk's easier...even when they're 2 or 3. Hell, with eval I can even fight back if it's a lone PK or dungeon thief. The 3 kills there are all dungeon oportunist looters.

You can also make more money if you have more mobs provoed at the same time. Something peace will eliminate.

If you're using peace vs. the AW you're doing it wrong. One paralyse + EV > peace vs. a single monster. My tank farms AW's more efficiently than any bard, plus I'd be ready for Pk's.

The only instance I would recomend peace is precisely if you're a dungeon picker/thief/griefer.

Then again, it all depends on your playstyle. If you have a more aggressive/balls to the wall type playstyle, then go resist + eval. If you're more a safe and easy type, then go peace + hide.

Djinn_Voodoo

Post by Djinn_Voodoo »

Pirul wrote:Depends on your playstyle. I could make an argument for having made millions with resist because I can stand mana dumps from twin balrons, and can get away from pk's easier...even when they're 2 or 3. Hell, with eval I can even fight back if it's a lone PK or dungeon thief. The 3 kills there are all dungeon oportunist looters.

You can also make more money if you have more mobs provoed at the same time. Something peace will eliminate.

If you're using peace vs. the AW you're doing it wrong. One paralyse + EV > peace vs. a single monster. My tank farms AW's more efficiently than any bard, plus I'd be ready for Pk's.

The only instance I would recomend peace is precisely if you're a dungeon picker/thief/griefer.

Then again, it all depends on your playstyle. If you have a more aggressive/balls to the wall type playstyle, then go resist + eval. If you're more a safe and easy type, then go peace + hide.

it is my opinion that many peeps have really never played 100% peace.... indeed yo walk in to a spot peace the area
wait the delay in a safe out range spot provo twon .. the other mobs on you makes sure u are out of the le two you alrdy have prov and the prov two more or.. if single remains prov the single onto one of the other too..... resist/ eval for pvp i agree on for sure but take that element out (not pvping) and i ca nwipe any area... any. hence the gm hiding stealther.. if i fell i cant control mob after i peceace i hide the stealth till i think i can peace of cake!!! speaking of which taking orders for cookies!!

Djinn_Voodoo

Post by Djinn_Voodoo »

Djinn_Voodoo wrote:
Pirul wrote:Depends on your playstyle. I could make an argument for having made millions with resist because I can stand mana dumps from twin balrons, and can get away from pk's easier...even when they're 2 or 3. Hell, with eval I can even fight back if it's a lone PK or dungeon thief. The 3 kills there are all dungeon oportunist looters.

it is my opinion that many peeps have really never played 100% peace.... indeed yo walk in to a spot peace the area
wait the delay in a safe out range spot provo twon .. the other mobs on you makes sure u are out of the le two you alrdy have prov and the prov two more or.. if single remains prov the single onto one of the other too..... resist/ eval for pvp i agree on for sure but take that element out (not pvping) and i ca nwipe any area... any. hence the gm hiding stealther.. if i fell i cant control mob after i peceace i hide the stealth till i think i can peace of cake!!! speaking of which taking orders for cookies!!
i will admit there are time resist would help esp. in LL but peace still does alot and i have been stealthed a lot of times when pks show there

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

As I said, depends on playstyle. My particular playstyle is more aggresive, run around kiting mobs, etc.