pvp template

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
boredcanadian

pvp template

Post by boredcanadian »

I am making a few characters for pvp. So far I have a mage with swords, a mage with swords, and just in case those two die, on my third account I have a mage with swords..... He was supposed to be a dexxer but the only skills to give him really were parrying or hiding....

I love this shard, the atmosphere and players are great, but is there any chance we could do something to give the templates for pvp a little diversity?

a Ninja Turtle

Re: pvp template

Post by a Ninja Turtle »

you will only be met with the standard, "not era accurate" argument...
Best Sig...Period, on UOSA

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

boredcanadian wrote:I am making a few characters for pvp. So far I have a mage with swords, a mage with swords, and just in case those two die, on my third account I have a mage with swords..... He was supposed to be a dexxer but the only skills to give him really were parrying or hiding....

I love this shard, the atmosphere and players are great, but is there any chance we could do something to give the templates for pvp a little diversity?
This unfortunately is probably the worst thing about T2A. I have no interest in PvP because of this very thing but yeah..."era accurate" it is

boredcanadian

Post by boredcanadian »

I understand the era accuracy argument, this is just where I have the most fun playing. Everything else is setup perfectly. I dont see how it would effect the other areas of the game aside from having a more active pvp community. Is there any argument aside from era accuracy anyone can think of?

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

100 fenc/sword/mace
100 tacts
100 anatomy
100 healing
100 resist
100 tracking
80.1 magery
19.9 hiding

Perfectly viable, non tank-mage, pvp template. If you have the right gear you can solo pvp with this type of character. Drop the tracking and add poisoning if you want to, or eval and up your mana to 40ish. There are other ways to pvp if you just try them out.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

wrathofjo wrote:100 fenc/sword/mace
100 tacts
100 anatomy
100 healing
100 resist
100 tracking
80.1 magery
19.9 hiding

Perfectly viable, non tank-mage, pvp template. If you have the right gear you can solo pvp with this type of character. Drop the tracking and add poisoning if you want to, or eval and up your mana to 40ish. There are other ways to pvp if you just try them out.

hiding is a waste, might as well go 80 magery and 20 in something else if not just full 100 magery. I'd honestly go with 7x skills at 100. The reason i say no hiding is if you already depending on hiding might as well touch a house and do it +40% chance to hide when standing in an adjacent tile of a house and hell 100% if it's a house you're friended to. Also invis items rock even more don't need to tab or break line of sight.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I would add a slight clarification on the above statements.

There is only one real template for SOLO pvp unless

A: you take the time to get REALLLY good at macros, hotkeys, and using magical items
B: you travel in a group (usually formed as a guild) with some of the above PVP class. This usually comes out as RP pvp (i.e. check out what the Pirates of The Core are doing with their hashashins and also see what the Savages have done )
C: Use trickery in your encounters (i.e. let monsters kill your targets, using gm trapped boxes, etx).

I tried to keep all bias out of these descriptions. There is value in all of them. however, if you are looking for a different way to get 1v1 PvP action there really is one template that rules them all.

Please don't associate me with those vile, detestable, evil-doing, motherless, pillaging evil RP guilds. I do however applaud them for adding an alternative to the standard PvP scene.

Like the above stated post indicates, there is no problem with standard PvP, it is just nice to have variety.

boredcanadian

Post by boredcanadian »

Poisoning is a waste as it is. The way to do it that makes the most sense is gm it on another character and poison you weapons with that character. So far the only actual template I can think of that may be of any actual use would be one with all the typical skills and mace fighting replacing eval. So you would have two weapon skills and switch back and forth from a war hammer to a poisoned katana utilizing the stamina drain on top of what I believe to be the weapon with highest dot. This actually sounds fun but halberd/katana would probably be more effective in 1vs1 against anyone who doesnt run.

This is not the point though. There are other templates, but none that are worth playing for any other reason then playing another template and as of right now that comes with a handicap. Perfecting skills that to get an edge in combat makes sense as a natural evolution to what ultima online is. Right now our freedom is limited lol.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

First off, poisoning is not a waste. It's valuable and a huge time saver if you actually play a dexer for more than 5 minutes. Being able to apply poison mid-fight is a huge advantage.

Second, there's plenty of viable templates aside from the standard 7x tank.

1. Anat tank mage
2. Poisoning dexer or mace+swords combo dexer
3. Eval dexer
4. Tracking tank mage (good in groups)
5. PVP Tamer
6. Stealth mage

Just depends on how you want to play.

boredcanadian

Post by boredcanadian »

boredcanadian wrote: This is not the point though. There are other templates, but none that are worth playing for any other reason then playing another template and as of right now that comes with a handicap. Perfecting skills that to get an edge in combat makes sense as a natural evolution to what ultima online is. Right now our freedom is limited lol.

Grifty McGrift

Post by Grifty McGrift »

Loathed wrote:
wrathofjo wrote:100 fenc/sword/mace
100 tacts
100 anatomy
100 healing
100 resist
100 tracking
80.1 magery
19.9 hiding

hiding is a waste, might as well go 80 magery and 20 in something else if not just full 100 magery. I'd honestly go with 7x skills at 100. The reason i say no hiding is if you already depending on hiding might as well touch a house and do it +40% chance to hide when standing in an adjacent tile of a house and hell 100% if it's a house you're friended to. Also invis items rock even more don't need to tab or break line of sight.
I dont think hiding is a waste on a PvP dexxer. You can even drop your tracking to 70 and bump hiding to 49.9 giving your a nearly 50% chance to hide. Teleport+Hide is a great move to buy you those precious few seconds before a bandage hits. It is also viable in field PvP for taking out unsuspecting victims (lockpickers, bards, etc.)

It is not impossible to have an effective PvP dexxer, but its not easy either. Gear yourself to the teeth and get creative!
"They used to call me Grifty McGrift. I wrote the book on flim-flammin"

boredcanadian

Post by boredcanadian »

Can we quit getting off topic with debates based on opinion concerning templates please? It is easy to see the field is dominated by one template that makes the rest no more then a novelty.

Grifty McGrift

Post by Grifty McGrift »

So what exactly were you trying to accomplish with your post?
"They used to call me Grifty McGrift. I wrote the book on flim-flammin"

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Grifty McGrift wrote:So what exactly were you trying to accomplish with your post?
^ ^ ^

many templates available. If you want 1v1 pvp and you don't want to deal with the handicaps you have stated, good luck. Not much will be changing on that front. From what I have observed, pvp is 1% character build and 99% skill. You could give me a 7x hally mage and i'd just run him into the ground all day long

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

if you want diversity just change it up yourself, I use a archer/sword mage- works oddly.. everything can work it's what lil' tricks u throw in there.

and if you come up with something that works, you can bet your butt lots will follow suit.