Using lock down items.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ulfrigg

Using lock down items.

Post by Ulfrigg »

Heres a link to prove it was in our era

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... avyZlepooJ

Hes basicly saying that either you had a forge and anvil to close or the guy was a thinker making items of the colord ingots that was locked down.

Is there a patchnote saying they changed it to 1999 november?

Here its stated that you still can do it with a non friended char.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... LibrQMV1sJ
Last edited by Ulfrigg on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Using lock down items and thinkering colord items.

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

belive thats all about smithing locked down items nothing about tinkering colored items i mean i suppose possibly armor but nothing tinkered
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

They might also have just worked all those ingots into tinkered items, now
that I think of it. You can use tinkering skill on ingots to make various
things, and if there are ingots stacked somewhere, and someone can get their
tinker in range, it's possible that the whole lot could have been tinkered
into tinker's parts.

One stack of iron, copper,
>dull copper, etc. I log in to find ALL of them gone

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It is possible to work with colored ingots using tinkering, but items crafted with tinkering would not retain their color in much the same way that you could create a weapon from any color ingot you wanted, but it would not retain its color.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

you couldnt make weapons from colord ingots, only from iron. I used my smith when i was collecting the ingots from peoples lock down, then i made armor that i melted down to get the ingots.

Were is the proff that it wouldnt retain its color when thinkering?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It was entirely possible to use colored ingots to create weapons on OSI servers. It simply ignored the hue if it was a weapon. In fact, the demo code can support using colored ingots, except that it won't produce any colored item (also there was no normal way to acquire them, however the code can still handle them).

Also, regarding tinkering, there is no information to support the fact that items did retain their color, nor is there a patch note during T2A to suggest that they did. It was not until the crafting overhaul in 2001 that colored tinker items could be produced.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Ok your right there, but you could still use items locked down in houses. I know this is a big thing since the house keys are not accurate, but give a 6 mounths warning or so to people and if they havent fixed it by then they probebly dont play.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While it's true that you could use any item that was locked down in a house, what you're talking about is a different meaning for the word use. In one context, when an item is "used" you are actually double clicking the item to do something with it. On the other hand, you're referring to using a tinker kit on something, which means that it is being "used" in a different manner. These two meanings of "use" have separate mechanics governing them.

Also, it should be noted that despite what that newsgroup post said regarding ingots that were locked down, he likely meant that the ingots were out of reach. This is relevant because it was impossible to lock down stacked items before the housing patch in November of 1999. The relevant part of the patch note is as follows:
These changes, along with the ability to lock down stackable items...
Edit: For future reference, here are some sources that talk about both tinkering colored items, and the ability to craft weapons from colored ingots that lose their color.

This post from August 2001 looks into the upcoming changes to tinkering as a boon for colored ingot sales. This type of boon is the direct result of tinkered items retaining the color of whatever was produced:
I was looking at the craft changes in concept and saw a screenshot with
several items of different colors. I think this is gonna boost sales of
colored ingots, as people will want to take advantage of the new colors
in their decorating schemes.
This post provides us some insight into the new colored items that could be produced on test center in September 2001:
Then I spent some time tinkering various colored trinkets. Some of it
looks good, like items crafted with shadow ingots (tr00 blak, w00t!),
or bronze cutlery and plates, or valorite mugs and goblets. Other
good stuff includes some of the colored jewerly. I can't reconnect to
TC right now to make a screenshot, but if you manage to get on, walk
to the mountain pass west of Brit, follow the mountain on the city
side to the south until you see the first houses. I have a small
marble shop with some things locked down there.
As for blacksmithy, here is a post from October 2000, which is before any crafting changes took place and the system worked the same way as it did during late T2A, asking a question about whether crafting weapons and armor from colored ingots has any effect on sale price:
I know that that the different colored ores are much more rare than
normal ore, but do they have any effect on a weapon or armor's strength
or is their only value in their relative rarity?

In other words, will a GM katana made from Valorite do more damage or
last longer than a regular GM katana? Will a GM set of Valorite plate
mail offer superior prodection or durability to a normal set of GM
plate? I have looked on Stratics, but I did not see an answer there.
Finally, a post from July 2000 lists some suggested improvements to the game, including this relevant suggestion:
* Blacksmithing
Certain weapons that are all one color, like war axes, should also be
colored the appropriate shade when made out of colored ingots.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

That quote you did is irelevent since you could lock down stacks in the era! It dint stop me from making armor of there ingots and eating there fruit baskets. You just needed the tools and since alot of people locked down there ingots close to the forge and anvil it wasnt a mystery were it went.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

You must be joking me when you think it was not accurate to lock down stacks in 1999??

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Ulfrigg wrote:That quote you did is irelevent since you could lock down stacks in the era! It dint stop me from making armor of there ingots and eating there fruit baskets. You just needed the tools and since alot of people locked down there ingots close to the forge and anvil it wasnt a mystery were it went.
That piece of information I quoted is directly from the patch notes. The fact that a player stated that they could do so doesn't make it so, especially in light of the documentation against it. The November 1998 patch notes say it isn't possible:
Generic items cannot be locked down.
An update on upcoming changes from October 1999 says that it will become possible (which implies that it currently isn't):
You will be able to lock down stackable items (such as ingots and reagents). The house owner, friends and “co-owners” of the house will be able to use these items. When a locked down stackable item is used up, the lock down slot will automatically become available.
And then we have the actual November 1999 patch notes which state that it is now possible:
These changes, along with the ability to lock down stackable items...
It is clear that you could not lock down stackable items prior to the housing patch in 1999.

Beyond that, I am not refuting the idea that a player can "use" an item in the method that tinkering uses ingots, nor am I refuting the fact that all items that are locked down should be usable in the typical sense.

Edit: Also, look at the original quote that the poster is responding to. The original quote never said that the ingots were locked down. The poster simply assumed they were, and that they could be.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

well it doesnt matter if you couldnt lock down stacks untill the november patch, that actually just prove my point more since that is a well know bug/exploit that you could do for quite some time. So if the stack lockdown came in november patch then the bug came with it.

Loathed

Re: Using lock down items.

Post by Loathed »

why can we not eat locked down food, i recall eating ppls hanging herbs and cakes if they were in reach. doesn't the above prove this to be true? and how come non friend/co owner/owners are booted from public houses when they log into it? :(

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Loathed wrote:and how come non friend/co owner/owners are booted from public houses when they log into it? :(
Not sure they why but here is the when. Probably deserves another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21681
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Loathed wrote:why can we not eat locked down food, i recall eating ppls hanging herbs and cakes if they were in reach. doesn't the above prove this to be true? and how come non friend/co owner/owners are booted from public houses when they log into it? :(
Agreed, eating fruit baskets, changing the color of public black dye tubs, and tinkering lockdown ingots (I actually remember if you tinkered once from a stack of iggies it would actually unlock the stack but that's another discussion I don't have proof of) were all something I had done at one time or another.