When working resist is it better to not have eval?

Topics related to Second Age
Malheki

When working resist is it better to not have eval?

Post by Malheki »

Is it better to work up resist with eval or without?

JBURNS
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: When working resist is it better to not have eval?

Post by JBURNS »

without...the skill gains are virtually the same and you have to heal a lot less damage. If you have two chars without eval you could have them both cast on you for double gains and not die.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

This is purely a guess but I am thinking without since the chance to gain is linked with the difficulty level of the spell and not damage taken.

This way you will waste less bandages/ reagents healing your spell taking resist gaining toon.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

It is supposed to be damage based but I would not be surprised if UOSA was still using the default RunUO resist code.

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

Damage taken affects the rate of gains from resisting spells.

You'll gain more per reg using a char with eval. It is also a fair bit quicker using eval.
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Have you actually tested this and kept data for it? I've never seen a difference in resist gain rate when using casters with Eval.
Perhaps I could test, but I'm fairly certain the originally posed answer is correct, in that damage doesn't matter, only spell level.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

Nope - wrong.
UOSA Patch Notes wrote:Magic Resist gains are now based partially on damage, in addition to the circle of the spell. This means you cannot gain into high levels of resist while taking minimal damage.
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

As of like 7 months ago, you could still trap ~10-15 mages just outside town and have them blast you. With a good macro, I remember gaining up to like 85 from 55 in a few hours. Not sure if you would keep gaining with white wyrms (who cast flamestrike far more frequently) in spite of the fact that each spell does 1 damage.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

the bazookas wrote:As of like 7 months ago, you could still trap ~10-15 mages just outside town and have them blast you. With a good macro, I remember gaining up to like 85 from 55 in a few hours. Not sure if you would keep gaining with white wyrms (who cast flamestrike far more frequently) in spite of the fact that each spell does 1 damage.
Right, how is this even possible if it's based partially on damage?

In my experience here, Eval has done nothing for resist gain speeds, only healing requirements.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

It's partially based on damage. The key part here is the word partially.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Blaise wrote:Right, how is this even possible if it's based partially on damage?
I'm not saying that there is or isn't damage based gains (I honestly have no idea) but it's entirely possible for there to be damage based gains and still gain from taking 1 damage in town--it would just be a matter of the skill check taking place before the damage was reassigned to 1 from whatever it would have been had the victim not been in town. Again, I don't know if that's how it works or not, but it's certainly a possibility. Also, the fact that the casting mages have to be outside of town for you to gain (though you take 1 damage either way), indicates that somehow a check on whether the caster is in town precedes and nullifies the skill-gain check.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Gaining resist is restricted by the amount of mana you can use per hour, per player so whether or not you are using eval or not you are going to be using about the same amount of bandages.

Also, I have noticed while watching my char macro FS for resist that gains typically happen when a lot of damage is done.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Would be interesting to take two characters from 50 resist, and cast on them, keeping track of reagent use and gains, with a 0 Eval Caster and GM.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

i've done that, more than once and there was no discernible difference

the "resist based on damage patch" was really only targeting MS resist circles. we still basically have default runUO resist gains. this is also notable because you will gain to exactly 65 resist using lightning whether you use a character with 60 magery 0 eval or a character with gm magery gm eval. meaning - resist gains are NOT actually based on damage, only MS resist gains are based on # of targets.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

My own perception is that it is much slower past 95-96 without eval