Spell damage in town

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Marcaeus

Spell damage in town

Post by Marcaeus »

Mage spell damage, and wands don't do direct damage in town. Why does tamed creatures with firebreathing allowed to do direct damage in town?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Spell damage in town

Post by Hemperor »

Among other spells they cast.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Marcus_ wrote:Mage spell damage, and wands don't do direct damage in town. Why does tamed creatures with firebreathing allowed to do direct damage in town?

Fire breathing isn't magic.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Faust

Post by Faust »

People could argue that fire breath isn't a spell and have a valid point. However, I have a feeling it would fall under the same technicality of no magic in town. If I'm not mistaken I also recall that purple pots do damage in town on here. Magic and purple pots do no harm in town on the demo. This is a valid suggestion that also needs to be looked into considering this factor.

I will try to test this theory on the UO Demo when I get the chance. It probably won't be possible but I may manage to lure the dragon to town on there some how. With some luck it may very well be possible to see if this theory is true.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:
Marcus_ wrote:Mage spell damage, and wands don't do direct damage in town. Why does tamed creatures with firebreathing allowed to do direct damage in town?

So, it's melee? Lol. I guess they have a mana base for no reason? :roll:

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Fire breath is just another way of saying fireball, as a GM told me yesterday, and you will also notice this on items :p

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

The fireball on items is the same as the fireball spell. The fireball that dragons shoot aka fire breath isn't the same. It is an ability that doesn't take any mana/charges that happens while in combat based on a static timer. I still have a feeling that it is highly possible that it does no damage in town.

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Marcus_ wrote:
Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:

So, it's melee? Lol. I guess they have a mana base for no reason? :roll:
Ey? Sorry if you took me saying Fire Breathing isn't magic as me saying they don't cast magic. Guess if a giant serp manages to bite you and poison you in town it shouldn't do any damage either? lol Both are pet abilities. Dragon's while they do cast magic also "Breath" Fire.

I didn't think it was that difficult to figure out. Now as for them not being able to do damage in town. Guess we'll have to wait for Faust.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The problem with the dragon on the Demo is that it is sticky to it's location. The only possible solution to try to get around this that I can come up with is either one herding, two taming, or three enticement. The problem here is that herding is based on taming during this era. This means you can't herd a dragon unless you can also tame it... I don't believe herding or enticement will work and it's a long shot if taming will work. We can hope though...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Marcus_ wrote:So, it's melee? Lol. I guess they have a mana base for no reason? :roll:
Dragons, like hell hounds have a "breath weapon"; Dragons cast spells too, hell hounds to not. In both cases the breath weapons requires no mana and cannot be resisted, and also the damage is tied to their hit points.

Ezp
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Ezp »

12/9/97
The explosion potion's damage in towns is reduced.

Only patch notes from 97-99 that mentions anything about Explosion Potions damage in towns.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Explosion Potions definitely did damage in towns. Anyone that played atlantic and wasn't just starting during this time should remember the "Llama Bombs" that people would set off in town, which would take out half of brit bank.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Explosion potions setting off other explosion potions was fixed in mid '98... The explosion potions deal no damage in town on the demo.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

the demo was released when T2A came out [no exp pot damage on it according to what you've seen on it], but during t2a they definitely did damage, even if it was only for a small time which leads to the answer that for this, we can't trust the demo.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Didn't the llama bomb only work based off of explosion potions detonating other explosion potions which was fixed in mid '98?