Meditation - Post-Patch

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Meditation - Post-Patch

Post by Flash Hardstar »

HOW MEDITATION GAINS WORK :

The method of gaining meditation skill is now based upon actively using meditation (non-passive, ie using the skill when low on mana).

HOW TO GAIN:

To actually "gain" in meditation, you have to not only use the skill, but be succesful in meditating.

WHAT TO REMEMBER:

There is actually no current "formula" for meditation. Succeeding to meditate is based upon your mana pool to current mana ratio. A very simple rule to follow when trying to gain in meditation, and very often - if not always be succesful:

***Note: For users with 100 INT

Maximum Intelligence minus your Current Meditation Skill should equal roughly the current mana in your pool.

(MAX INT- MED SKILL = CURRENT MANA IN POOL)

IE If you have 100 int and cast a flamestrike, you now have 60 mana. If your meditation skill is 40 or above, their is a fairly good chance you will succeed in meditating - and cross your fingers for a gain!

Hopefully this post can serve as a guide to new players, as well as veterans alike!

:lol: HAPPY GAMING! :lol:
Last edited by Derrick on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

brentcore

Re: Meditation - Post-Patch

Post by brentcore »

I seem to be having problems gaining in Meditation. I haven't played since like August, and the character I'm leveling had 79 meditation when I took a break from UO. Now that I'm trying to GM med, I'm finding that I really can't.

I'm macroing magery/resist/healing/meditation all in the same macro in my house. I'm getting gradual gains in every category but literally no meditation. And by no meditation, I mean I've gained .2 from getting my magery from 31 to 63. During my macro, med is performed when I don't have sufficient mana for my cast (fireball, lightning) and therefore have little mana. I am succeeding very, very frequently. I have 43 int (hybrid character).

What could the problem be? I remember in the good ol' T2A days, meditation definitely gained faster than magery; however, my results show otherwise! Thanks...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The problem is your low int, the meditation difficulty is based on mana shortness, you essentially can't get your mana short enough to provide enough difficulty.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

so just to clarify, maybe I'm dense, it would be impossible to GM med with only 40 int? I would need to get 100 int, then GM med, then drop int back down?

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Here's a good macro for meditation

Code: Select all

!Loop
Assistant.Macros.ForAction|4
Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|2463|True
Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|13394|2132|852|6|400
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
Assistant.Macros.EndForAction
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:05
Assistant.Macros.ForAction|12
Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|46
Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:05
Assistant.Macros.EndForAction

Only requirement to GM meditation is 90 intelligence (at least that's how much I had when I did this) and 120 bottles of ale. No reagents required.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Slaine
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Slaine »

Hmm this is strange. I succinctly remember when I made my first character all those years ago (1997) and meditation was always the easiest of skills to raise. I didnt know about see sawing or fast stat gaining back then. I certainly didnt have 100 int until months into the game, but I do remember getting GM meditation first way way before any other skill was even near the 80's and way before my int was anywhere near 90.

And yet playing now, my int is 100, my magery in the 90's and yet meditation is still only in the 60's and I try to meditate all the time - I have to if I want to make gold at a reasonable pace as a mage casting Blade Spirits etc....

I don't macro any magery/resist/meditation. I have raised my magery purely using the good old fashioned method of casting spells on monsters (mainly because I have just started, my main is a mage, and he cant afford to waste regs macroing) so I would say, that this is the only thing on second age that I have found to be different from when I played when the game first came out (pre trammel I hasten to add)

Other than that everything else is perfect in my eyes.

So is this accurate? Or is meditation still being tweaked?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It's possibly due to the fact that you didn't have 100 int until months into the game that you didn't need to target meditating at lower skill levels. Meditation raises pretty fast if you meditate when you are within a range to successfully do so. It is accurate that the difficulty of successfully meditating is based on mana 'shortage' and that you can only gain skill when you are within a range in which you can both succeed or fail.

Many of the questions I respond to about this skill are from players with < 20 meditation skill, and 100 int that are trying to meditate with their mana fully drained; you can never possibly gain skill this way, as you have absolutely no chance of sucessfully mediating.

aikainnet

Post by aikainnet »

If you buy one of the "magical wizard hat" from the mage store, they usually have a clumsy spell enchanted on them lowering your str and dex by 5 and raising your int by the same, set a macro to equip the hat then med then unequip the hat. Easy gains till you need something better.

Good luck you guys and sorry for rezzing the dead.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

I'm really not even sure if this guide still applies to the current ruleset.. I wrote it a while ago
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Return to “Guides”