Nightmare Spawn Rates

Topics related to Second Age

Should nightmare spawn rates be increased?

Yes. This is ridiculous.
53%
No. They are fine as they are.
43%
Maybe (Undecided)
4%

Total votes: 47

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Nightmare Spawn Rates

Post by Taboo »

To make a long story short, I lost 7 mares (1 pure) today because I was a day late refreshing them. Although that's not the point of this post, it definitely brings up a good point...

Losing that lot of mares is such a ridiculous HUGE loss on this server due to the fact that they are next to impossible to find and then tame. There is also huge competition to consider for the few that do spawn and I will kill a tamer if I see him attempting to tame a mare that I want *see screenshot*

I am just curious if the GMs are even aware that people actually use to get off their mare and use them to attack both monsters and other players and now they are always 100% afraid to lose them everywhere they go.

The only reason I was even able to get 7 mares is because,

(1) I have a good tracker, large set of marked runes, and placed boats for the task.

(2) I recently had a huge amount of free time to devote to it...... DEVOTE to it.

Otherwise, I would have never even tamed one. Since the loss of the huge amount of free time, I have seen 0. Just like before the huge amount of free time, I saw 0.

To my knowledge, I am probably one of the oldest tamers with the most means and knowledge to acquire mares.... If I am having issues, others are having even more.

One more thing, this is not a rant/rage post. If i wanted to buy mares... I am a millionaire and I could, but I shouldn't HAVE to.

Mare spawn rates should be increased. Its absolutely ridiculous currently and its obvious.

I feel as if a new tamer could go his entire tamer career and only ever see one.
Attachments
Cliche'_11-28_17.48.jpg

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Nightmare Spawn Rates

Post by Light Shade »

Whereas I couldn't care a bit about the rarity and availability of Nightmares, the spawning mechanism is not the same as it was in era.

A Nightmare would respawn when you took it off the server in era. Here, its just a timer through a modified XMLSpawner system.
[color=#BF8040]Light Shade[/color] edited this post and wrote:I'm not sure how to mimmick that short of having the re-spawn just wait until there's no player proximity to simulate "leaving the server".

By doing it that way, you could still block spawns and they'd re-spawn quickly like in era...

Its about as close as you can get to Era-Accuracy AND it allows players to fight back against the spawn blockers. Being able to fight back is not Era-Accurate, but its as close as can be done with the current UOSA Spawning system. This could be accomplished inside of 10 minutes if the Dev Team wanted to do it this way.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

There is something wrong with nightmares. They are just TOO rare and hard to get. There were more people playing in the t2a era.... how could they possibly have had nightmares with this current spawn rate?

If memory serves, nightmares have never been worth 100k - 200k+

I think people should all have a fair shot of atleast SEEING a wild nightmare. lol..

before i come tame it and you GTFO.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

I guess i came back to this shard in October and have played daily since.

I have not seen a single mare. Not 1... zero... nada... zlich... nothing....

I started by checking multiple times per day with ghosting and of course the right runes and a tracker.

Slowly that changed to once a day or once every couple of days.

Now, ive basically given up on it.

I would agree something is off with the spawn.

That being said... it isnt a huge issue. 99% of the mares are for show, and im actually starting to prefer the shadow / blood frenzies look.

You can farm 15K in what? 10-20 mins here and buy a mare... or spend weeks/months looking for one. And then actually being able to tame it without someone else interfering. Kind of a no-brainer at this point to not bother with them.
Last edited by Hoots on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

I never planned on seeing a wild one, probably never will. Do I care? No.

However I do see plenty of nightmare sales and plenty of PKs rolling on nightmares, honestly that does not scream rarity to me.

But in terms of era accuracy I think it should be changed, people should talk it out until we find something that just makes sense compared to how it was in era.

Thanks,
Alex.
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Xantim
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Xantim »

Its all about luck timing the spawn and it spawns 3 times atleast in 24h period so it aint that hard to get one. I recall around every now and then and find them every now and then.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Alex21 wrote:However I do see plenty of nightmare sales and plenty of PKs rolling on nightmares, honestly that does not scream rarity to me.
I agree.

They did seem more rare in era.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Light Shade wrote:
A Nightmare would respawn when you took it off the server in era. Here, its just a timer through a modified XMLSpawner system.
Is the timer somewhat static? In other words, say one has "play time" from 3-5pm eastern. (or any window of time for example). With the current system could it actually be impossible for players with windows of play time to ever see a mare, if the timer doesnt coincide with their availability?

or is it a much more random system that gives everyone / every time a chance?

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

Supply and demand. The supply of mares is enough to keep prices in the 20-30k range for low-end and 50-70k for high-end mares. In terms of tamer farming profitability, generally 60k/hour, it would seem like a waste of time to tame mares. Increasing the spawn rate will only drive the prices down further. It will only hurt the dedicated tamers that consistently beat you to the punch. Every swinging dick will be riding a 5k mare into pvp or pvm if the supply increases to era accurate numbers (Era accurate by Light Shade's descript, I am not researching).

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Anyone who has a tamer knows just how hard it is to get even one nightmare.... per few weeks.

That's ridiculous.

I highly doubt nightmares will ever be 5k, I am however stupidified as to why their prices are currently so low.

They are extremely rare. The nightmare/tamer ratio is very off.

You shouldn't HAVE to buy one if you have a tamer. One of the reasons of creating a tamer is to tame nightmares.

Nightmares have always generally suppose to be used for both killing other monsters and transportation,.... but nightmares are now used completely for show and people are very afraid of losing one.

How are pvpers and banksitters riding useless show mares era accurate?

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Taboo, a thing you could do that will save you this grief in the future:

You probably have 5 or more of your spare characters (house holders whatever) that you can friend a mare too and they can log off on it keeping it safe forever.
[broken image]

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

I believe I have killed 5or maybe 6 wild mares since being here. Mares are lame, unless ur trammel then they r epic. Cry More, anyone who votes yes to this is just some noob tryin to get his rocks off with a mare.

TC

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

troll more nerd. i'm an older player than you and better at pvp. so whatever.

also you are probably a liar about the wild mare thing. k thx.

*EDIT*
Pirul wrote:
Alex21 wrote:However I do see plenty of nightmare sales and plenty of PKs rolling on nightmares, honestly that does not scream rarity to me.
I agree.

They did seem more rare in era.

Pirul they literally can't become any more rare than what they are right now without basically not existing.

When do you recall that?

Whoever voted No doesn't have a tamer. The only reason the prices on mares aren't extremely high is the fact they are regarded as practically useless rares that can be easily lost.
Last edited by Taboo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

I haven't checked recently, but I thought that 2 mares spawned at each of the three spots per day, for a total of 6.
I know people used to tame them around server up then again in the evening/early night.
I think they're so rare because so many people have tamers now, and certain people are mad camping them.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

xevec wrote:and certain people are mad camping them.
This is what is going on. The timer is quite....predictable.

As far as the cost of Nightmares in era....150k for a pure was pretty normal before the spawn blocking was done away with.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro