[Era accuracy] Perry gains

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Creager

[Era accuracy] Perry gains

Post by Creager »

I feel bad for saying anything; heheh. But perry gains are much faster here then they were on OSI ten years ago. If this helps put it into perspective: I remember perry gains being slower then healing.

Unless there was a bug i didnt know about, gaining perry was very hard and very rare to see a grandmaster; atleast until UOR. I made a few townies back in the day, heheh.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: [Era accuracy] Perry gains

Post by Hoots »

Creager wrote:I feel bad for saying anything; heheh. But perry gains are much faster here then they were on OSI ten years ago. If this helps put it into perspective: I remember perry gains being slower then healing.

Unless there was a bug i didnt know about, gaining perry was very hard and very rare to see a grandmaster; atleast until UOR. I made a few townies back in the day, heheh.
you could Parry against a blade and GM it pretty quick (couple days).

there have been numerous other parry bugs & methods for quick gains.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

parry was super hard without bugs until power hour
after power hour people used blade spirits and sheep and cows
before that you ahd to get crunched by mummies or wisps for long time to get anything
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

BlackFoot wrote:parry was super hard without bugs until power hour
before that you ahd to get crunched by mummies or wisps for long time to get anything
This is how I remember it too. I remember spending an entire month working on parry from 75 to 100, and I'm not afraid to admit it.. I was on a LOT that month.

Parry was hard, and parry was amazing compared to what it is here. So all in all, I guess it's fine the way it is, just not all that accurate :(
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

RoadKill wrote:
BlackFoot wrote:parry was super hard without bugs until power hour
This is how I remember it too. I remember spending an entire month working on parry from 75 to 100, and I'm not afraid to admit it.. I was on a LOT that month.

Parry was hard, and parry was amazing compared to what it is here. So all in all, I guess it's fine the way it is, just not all that accurate :(
Parry was a better skill to have on OSI and yes, it took a long time to build up. My friend and I captured Wisps and fought them for parry, it worked well but you needed to a GM healer on to heal and res you as you died often and frequently.

I'm all for a Parry fix, it should work better than it does now and mean something.

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Hehe I remember the bone wall. Yes parry would tough, but like said, it was worth it. You look at very old UO screen shots and you'll see every dexer has a shield. If you had gm parry an ARMY of mobs could be on you and you would survive.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i think parrying is functioning correctly on this server, aside from the gain rate. Parry didnt become truley badass until UOR. i remember at gm skill level during t2a era, you had exxactly a 50% chance to parry an attack, regardless of what type of shield you were holding. the only benefit of using a good shield was higher AC. after UOR came out, they did something with parry to where smaller shields would parry more often, but they would eat less damage, and the heater shields and order/chaos shields would only parry like 25% of the time, but they would eat the entire blow. i dont remember the exact formula that was used.

i have not used parrying on this server yet, but i do remember parry being pretty hard to gain on OSI, and it sounds like that is not the case here. i think its function is accurate though.

for what its worth i think it should be left alone for the sake of allowing newer players to get into action sooner. the same argument could be made about magery and resist. both these skills are VERY easy to gain on here compared to OSI.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

ClowN wrote:i think parrying is functioning correctly on this server, aside from the gain rate. Parry didnt become truley badass until UOR. i remember at gm skill level during t2a era, you had exxactly a 50% chance to parry an attack, regardless of what type of shield you were holding. the only benefit of using a good shield was higher AC. after UOR came out, they did something with parry to where smaller shields would parry more often, but they would eat less damage, and the heater shields and order/chaos shields would only parry like 25% of the time, but they would eat the entire blow. i dont remember the exact formula that was used.
I had parry during T2A and actually dropped it when this update came out, the idea was cool to get more shields being used, but ultimately parrying on a dexer became less desired. However with this same change, the "Roach Mages' began to show up (Scribe/Parry mages in a suit of leather+RA+Chaos shield while running from a dexer recharging)
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Parry is something i will look into right away

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I remember Agent Orange being like the only player with gm parry on Atlantic during T2A ... I'd recall into Titan Valley and watch him fighting cyclops and titans ... dominating them ...

Parry doesn't seem to be as good as it is here ... Chaos/Order shields were worn by dexers for a reason then.... don't see many dexers with parry here tbh.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Just to add a note to how parry is supposed to work:

The chance to parry an attack is based on the formula (Parry / 2) = % chance to block. The actual damage absorbed is based off of the AR of the shield that you are wearing. The actual damage that's absorbed by the shield is the base AR of the shield / 2 for melee weapons, and the base AR of the shield for ranged weapons. These are the pieces of information from the Stratics combat page detailing combat. As for the exact location for where this damage reduction is calculated, it's calculated as part of the adjustments to the base damage from a given hit before cutting the damage in half.

As for the skill gains that we currently have on the server, the reality is that all skills are easier to gain here than they actually were on OSI. So don't be too miffed at the idea that parry and other skills are much easier to gain, its something that all skills share.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

This falls into the same discussion as we previously had with combat skills. Gaining combat skills off other players is suppose to be inexistent. This goes for ALL combat skills including parry. The problem isn't entirely the gain rates it is the fact that you can gain combat skills so easily off other players when you should not be able too. This has been the case since the patch that was added in '97 that made combat skills gaining off other players literally impossible. The reason people went to the boneknight wall for combat skills is because of this rule.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Thats very true, and I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if there were enough players to support something like the bone knight room. While we can't be certain that people wouldn't pick up and create a bone wall, there is definitely some merit to the idea that there may not be enough players to reliably create something like that.

But beyond the scope of players training on players, our skill gain is markedly easier than the skill gain on OSI.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

Well it would be expected to see walls not be a frequent case here due to the population. However, I can also see it happening in some cases. All it takes is two individuals, which means someone can dual client themselves and have a successful wall going. I would also expect to see people doing the alternative that existed back on OSI also. When a wall wasn't up and going people would head to earth elements in Shame. Earth Elementals offer relatively the same possible gains as Bone and Skeletal Knights did. It was essentially the solo version of gaining combat skills during t2a.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Faust wrote:When a wall wasn't up and going people would head to earth elements in Shame. Earth Elementals offer relatively the same possible gains as Bone and Skeletal Knights did. It was essentially the solo version of gaining combat skills during t2a.
City of the Dead in T2A was also great, luring away a BK from the spawn area and then going to down with a butcher knife